The great Indian ginger Chai and the malai conundrum

Cricketics

56 minutes ago, maniac said:

I love chai....love adrak in it....can bear elaichi that’s about it...I hate all these other flavored and masala chais that you get on the market m...gives me a headache.

I once had chocolate flavored chai in Coonoor. It was yuck. 

I like chai with.....

1) adhrak(ginger)

2) illaichi 

3) tulsi

4) lemon grass

Chai is Chai. Malai, adrak or Ilaichi. I just start sipping. I even endup eating the adrak chunks, I swallow malai. Though i am only adicted to pure chai. I dont go fancy with my chai. Very rarely I do Adrak.

I am not finicky about food in generate, Hot, warm or cold. Karela, Palak or anything, Veg or non-veg, chicken or fish, egs or beans, I eat everything. I avoid some food like burgers, pizzaz, or paneer, aloo but even that I eat when left with no option. I dont know what the fuss about about.

Oh, I dont take coffee at all. In my 19-20 years of stay in this country, i have not been to starbucks as many times. My daughter takes starbucks multiple times in a week. 

1 hour ago, dial_100 said:

Chai is Chai. Malai, adrak or Ilaichi. I just start sipping. I even endup eating the adrak chunks, I swallow malai. Though i am only adicted to pure chai. I dont go fancy with my chai. Very rarely I do Adrak.

I am not finicky about food in generate, Hot, warm or cold. Karela, Palak or anything, Veg or non-veg, chicken or fish, egs or beans, I eat everything. I avoid some food like burgers, pizzaz, or paneer, aloo but even that I eat when left with no option. I dont know what the fuss about about.

Oh, I dont take coffee at all. In my 19-20 years of stay in this country, i have not been to starbucks as many times. My daughter takes starbucks multiple times in a week. 

I drink chai latte at starbucks :p:

3 hours ago, dial_100 said:

I am one of the non-fussy eaters as well. I eat all vegetables (karela, asparagus, broccoli, kale). Except for sea-food, I could manage to eat all meats , I am able to eat fish somehow. I have about 4 cups of coffee a day, and may be 2 cups of tea a week..only on weekends. I hate the dipwaali chai, and it's elaborate to brew tea compared to coffee. I have even eaten a cockroach!

17 hours ago, Turning_track said:

If you are into green tea, which brands do you prefer or like the taste of?

Here in India, I tried some but disliked the taste so dropped the idea of including it for my daily routine.

I will find the name the one my workplace has as thats the one I drink the most and like it. At home I drink some random Green tea, don’t even remember its bame as I keep changing.I pick any random ones from the local store and those one are all okayish.

21 hours ago, Cricketics said:

So just saw @MechEng post about ginger tea in the food thread and then I felt like writing about especially about how good great ginger tea really is, especialy in cold weather. 

However, I have my love hate relationship with Chai especially because the “malai” which gets formed inside chai in few seconds right after you pour it in the cup. That skin(malai) which gets formed just looks ugly to me and even though you can get rid of it, I hate the look of it and rather not see it.

What do you guys feel about? Does it bring you that vomit or upkai kind of feeling when you see it in your Chai?  I love my ginger tea once in a while but I hate that thing malai thing. I wish I could avoid seeing it every time. Do you guys use any workaround other than keeping a spoon around to get rid of it? Or do you just drink with it?

Ginger tea otherwise is brilliant.

@Cricketics

you obviously haven’t been to Surat, famous for its malai sandwich, a right big dallop of malai harvested from warm milk between two slices white bread! :lol: 

4 hours ago, chewy said:

@Cricketics

you obviously haven’t been to Surat, famous for its malai sandwich, a right big dallop of malai harvested from warm milk between two slices white bread! :lol: 

I love malai sandwich...but not with hot malai.

It has to be thick cold malai taken off the milk in the fridge.Put it between two slices of white bread( no healthy multigrain stuff here:nono:). Spinkle very little grainy sugar on the malai....the kind that goes crunch in the mouth.yummmm

I will make one right now.:dance:

4 hours ago, zen said:

read some comments on Chai Latte at Starbucks. Ask for one with 5 "pumps" for a stronger one .... Have it with the Tomato Mozzarella Sandwich .... Already feeling hungry :elefant:

Tomato mozella from star bucks? Never tried that. Didn’t even know star bucks had veggie sandwich like that. 

19 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Tomato mozella from star bucks? Never tried that. Didn’t even know star bucks had veggie sandwich like that. 

Starbucks food is so over priced....unless I am starving and there is  nothing else immediately available I refuse to eat anything at Starbucks....$3 for a croissant you gotta be kidding me.

5 hours ago, maniac said:

Starbucks food is so over priced....unless I am starving and there is  nothing else immediately available I refuse to eat anything at Starbucks....$3 for a croissant you gotta be kidding me.

and they dont even toast the bagel for you and just give you cream cheese to apply it by yourself.

5 hours ago, Laaloo said:

and they dont even toast the bagel for you and just give you cream cheese to apply it by yourself.

You can always ask them? I mean we have to ask at subways also to toast them good etc.

But yeah, starbucks’ other stuff has been usually higher priced, but I guess they have maintained that market of higher prices brownie or pound cake etc which people love to buy while getting a coffee.

I can only imagine how crazy it must be in India where some people(not everyone) would be buying shyt load of stuff just to show off.  :)