The Unpopular Cricket Opinions Thread

Gollum

5.) Zimbabwe was a world beater in the making. I was especially impressed with Henry Olonga, he looked as quick as Donald on Sharjah wickets. Had it not been for politics, winning in Zimbabwe would have been hard.

6.) The late Tiger Pataudi played a crucial role in setting up a system where we produced high quality spinners and batsmen, it was after the tour of New Zealand he realised that if India wanted to be a strong cricket side we had to strengthen our spin and batting department, he did not consider Indians to have the zest for bowling fast though. Also he united players from different states/cultures/religions to play as Indians. 

7.) Brian Close, the famous man who got hit by bouncers on his body from Michael Holding has the longest cricket career in years, longer than Sachin's 24 years. He was a contemporary of Don Bradman.

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

54. Che is Mahela Jayawardene 2.0.....pains me to blurt this out but there is enough sample size already to call him a HTB. May be a popular opinion around but for me this is a heart wrenching confession. The way he ran like a headless chicken 1st ball showed the scars run deep.  

dont take home runs for granted.

25 minutes ago, MechEng said:

5.) Zimbabwe was a world beater in the making. I was especially impressed with Henry Olonga, he looked as quick as Donald on Sharjah wickets. Had it not been for politics, winning in Zimbabwe would have been hard.

6.) The late Tiger Pataudi played a crucial role in setting up a system where we produced high quality spinners and batsmen, it was after the tour of New Zealand he realised that if India wanted to be a strong cricket side we had to strengthen our spin and batting department, he did not consider Indians to have the zest for bowling fast though. Also he united players from different states/cultures/religions to play as Indians. 

7.) Brian Close, the famous man who got hit by bouncers on his body from Michael Holding has the longest cricket career in years, longer than Sachin's 24 years. He was a contemporary of Don Bradman.

Zimbabwe was quite strong but world beater is a term I will use very sparingly.

Spot on about Tiger Pataudi, a true visionary and the greatest Indian captain of all time irrespective of results column.

I think you are factually incorrect. Close was a contemporary of Len Hutton and Peter May and that was after Bradman's retirement. 

55. In my all time Indian test XI Saha will be the keeper. Kirmani and Farokh Engineer were awful behind the stumps according to my dad who followed both of them in their playing days. More was a lesser version of Saha both with the bat and behind the stumps. Dhoni is simply not in the same ballpark as Saha behind the stumps. And against other all time XIs I doubt MSD will score anything more substantial than Saha.

Kohli is a brilliant captain . Yes some selections some may not agree but then which skipper picks team the masses all agree with ?

tactically he is good . 

But most importantly other then selection and tactics is that he makes teams play with passion , energy , desire and will to win . This has been shown in sa series we’re team has been fighting back , kept going , kept putting in maximum effort as he continues to crack the whip and keep players pushing hard . They all know need to give it all or he will give you the hair dryer 

So kohli is brilliant skipper for India !

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

55. In my all time Indian test XI Saha will be the keeper. Kirmani and Farokh Engineer were awful behind the stumps according to my dad who followed both of them in their playing days. More was a lesser version of Saha both with the bat and behind the stumps. Dhoni is simply not in the same ballpark as Saha behind the stumps. And against other all time XIs I doubt MSD will score anything more substantial than Saha.

Up-effing-vote for this.

In fact, woe betide the country whose all-time great batting order needs substantial back-up from bowlers/keepers. (Acceptable only from AFG/IRE, since they only have a generation of Test cricketers-to-be to chose from)

Alec Stewart likewise is not the all-time XI English keeper either. If uncapped players are allowed, I would in fact nominate Michael Bates for England and Darren Berry for Australia, which would make my reply a post truly worthy of the "unpopular" tag.

57. Danish Kaneria is an ATG spinner for enduring Akmal his whole career :adore:, only now do I realize the true extent of his greatness. Imagine Ash or Jaddu bowling with Parthiv as keeper for 60 odd tests, 10-12 test ke baad cricket chor ke sanyaas le lenge nahi to kapde utar kar din aur raat public ke saamne nanga nachenge. 

1.Rohit’s average  test performance is due to a mental block and insecurity...in terms of ability and skill he is unparalleled and unmatched.

2.We go gaga over AB but we tend to downplay 3 200s a historic accomplishment based on some inferiority.

3.Australian pitches these days are boring pattas even though they are still bashing Pakistan and England,Aus series have lost their charm. 

4.Ishant’s high numbers are due to the lack of bowling support at the other end....yes he has been a little worse when everyone has been poor on tough wickets but on conducive wickets he has been a single handed match winner

5. There is a stigma over Bhuvi due to his early trundler days but he is hands down the best bowler in India and probably the top5 in the world right now.

6.Dhoni fanboyis consists mostly of people

from Tamil Nadu a state popular for having hysterical level of support for anyone considered a representative of their state or icons due to his stint with CSK....from a cricketing perspective there is no reason to support Dhoni in 2018.

7.Dhoni doesn’t give a fk about Chennai...if he was in so much love would have made a concsious attempt to learn the language...he is just fooling naive suckers :cantstop:

Edited by maniac