Is this start of new trend for Indian cricket team? New low of favoritism.

I don't think these selections are surprising, neither do I believe that Kohli's being parochial or saving spots for his friends. 

Kohli believes that he can win by going on the offensive.  'Going on the offensive' is his basic sporting philosophy. 

To execute on his philosophy he will every time prefer offensive weapons over defensive ones. 

Hence he will prefer Dhawan over KL Rahul, Rohit Sharma over Rahane.  Bumrah over most others.  Kohli wants Sehwag type players  in his Test team -  batting or bowling.

You can disagree with Kohli's philosophy (I do).  You can say that ODI batting and bowling isn't the same as Test batting and bowling.  Just because Dhawan, Sharma and Bumrah can dominate ODIs doesn't mean they can be equally offensive in Tests.  Players like Sehwag come once in decades.  You can't take an ODI philosophy to the Test arena.  And so on.

But I for one, even as I disagree with his thinking, can't fault his execution.

16 hours ago, putrevus said:

Rohit is a middle order batsmen and Rahul an opener as simple as that.

so, you make it seem like no opener ever batted in middle order in test cricket Joe root an opener for Yorkshire is batting in middle order for England. Mike Hussey an opener in FC cricket batted in middle order most of his test career. Middle order is far easier in test cricket for an opener. So, why not give a better player a chance to at in MO than a player who have failed 9/10 times overseas. Rahul has scored a 100 on every overseas tour till now and is certainly our top batsman, certainly ahead of Rohit in my book. 

10 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Not a fan of team management or Kohli as captain or BCCI. But I believe the rationale for this selection was left right combination. It would make sense if you had a better left handed in place. 

he could easily play Rahul in middle order in place of Rohit.

2 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

I don't think these selections are surprising, neither do I believe that Kohli's being parochial or saving spots for his friends. 

Kohli believes that he can win by going on the offensive.  'Going on the offensive' is his basic sporting philosophy. 

To execute on his philosophy he will every time prefer offensive weapons over defensive ones. 

Hence he will prefer Dhawan over KL Rahul, Rohit Sharma over Rahane.  Bumrah over most others.  Kohli wants Sehwag type players  in his Test team -  batting or bowling.

You can disagree with Kohli's philosophy (I do).  You can say that ODI batting and bowling isn't the same as Test batting and bowling.  Just because Dhawan, Sharma and Bumrah can dominate ODIs doesn't mean they can be equally offensive in Tests.  Players like Sehwag come once in decades.  You can't take an ODI philosophy to the Test arena.  And so on.

has Sehwag ever won us a game overseas with his batting? if not then what is the use of Sehwag-type batsmen?

2 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

One glitch : K L Rahul is aggressive batsman.

3 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

true. there is IMO a lot to fault in kohli's approach, but we accept his shounen-manga style approach of "he who shouts the most and displays the most aggro wins matches" these selections make "sense". the problem of course is that the real world is not a manga/anime Mr. Kohli.

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

has Sehwag ever won us a game overseas with his batting? if not then what is the use of Sehwag-type batsmen?

this is completely off-topic but if anything outside Ind counts as overseas, he does have that double in galle. as for kohli, he only cares only about flash (or flashers) and not susbstance.

10 minutes ago, Kerberos said:

One glitch : K L Rahul is aggressive batsman.

It's a comparison with Dhawan, not a free standing statement.  There's no glitch.

11 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Even if I were to count out his Galle innings SL, one player rarely wins a cricket match.  But if you have 2 or 3, you're ahead of the game.  Which is the point.  If you had 2 or 3 Sehwag type batsmen in your team, you'd pretty much have the ability to turn a game on its head.

Edited by NameGoesHere
11 minutes ago, Vijy said:

this is completely off-topic but if anything outside Ind counts as overseas, he does have that double in galle. as for kohli, he only cares only about flash (or flashers) and not susbstance.

galle is not overseas. overseas of us means outside SC.

10 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

KLR has a SR comparable to Kohli in Tests. In T20Is his SR is above 150 with an average of 50+ and yet Kohli prefers Dhawan who barely averages 20+ at a SR of 120. In ODIs he gives chance after chance to a TTF like Karthik who strikes in the 70s! Seems ridiculous he wants Sehwag type players in Tests but is okay with Karthik type players in ODIs! Lets stop pussy-footing around and call a spade a spade. The guy is as corrupt as they come.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

KLR has a SR comparable to Kohli in Tests. In T20Is his SR is above 150 with an average of 50+ and yet Kohli prefers Dhawan who barely averages 20+ at a SR of 120. In ODIs he gives chance after chance to a TTF like Karthik who strikes in the 70s! Seems ridiculous he wants Sehwag type players in Tests but is okay with Karthik type players in ODIs! Lets stop pussy-footing around and call a spade a spade. The guy is as corrupt as they come.

although he is a despot who indulges in favouritism, I think he also has genuine issues of perception, i.e. mistaking one format for another. hence, kkd who has done decently ipl is suddenly seen as "aggressive" in ODIs and dhawan who has done well in odis but poorly in t20s is also regarded as fast-scoring in all other formats.

5 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

It's a comparison with Dhawan, not a free standing statement.  There's no glitch.

Even if I were to count out his Galle innings SL, one player rarely wins a cricket match.  But if you have 2 or 3, you're ahead of the game.  Which is the point.  If you had 2 or 3 Sehwag type batsmen in your team, you'd pretty much have the ability to turn a game on its head.

Sehwag averages 40 against Aus, SA, England, NZ. How having 3-4 40 averaging batsmen will win you games outside SC?

8 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

Rahul is an offensive batsman too. Add to it he can do it against better teams and tougher pitches too unlike dhawan who beats the crap out of SL and likes on home pitches.

34 minutes ago, Vijy said:

indian capns are never discarded. Dhoni was the bcci's darling even after the 8-0 drubbing.

But it didn't stop him from getting booted out in the middle of a Test series. I feel BCCI are finally feeling the heat and if they have nothing to show for, they know they are in a deep trouble as fans are losing patience with this administration. Dhoni was a special case and had a strong backing from the head of the organization. But in the end it all comes down to money and performance. 

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

Sehwag averages 40 against Aus, SA, England, NZ. How having 3-4 40 averaging batsmen will win you games outside SC?

it probably won't. presumably the OP was saiyng that it would increase the chances of winning outside SC compared to having 3-4 dhawans who will probably avg <20 against the same teams in their backyards.

1 minute ago, Lannister said:

But it didn't stop him from getting booted out in the middle of a Test series. I feel BCCI are finally feeling the heat and if they have nothing to show for, they know they are in a deep trouble as fans are losing patience with this administration. Dhoni was a special case and had a strong backing from the head of the organization. But in the end it all comes down to money and performance. 

but Dhoni was still held unaccoutable and untouchable after the 8-0. i am referring to the events immediately afterwards, not much more later. the bcci never feel the heat - if you ask them to spell "accountable", they will spell "nepotism" or "incompetent" instead.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

This isn't a Kohli to KLR comparison. 

If we were comparing T20s, then, one could argue that Rahul's averages have been built against Zimbabwe, Lanka (latest tour), Windies and England. 

This argument can go on and on. 

And calling Kohli corrupt as they come, well I try mostly not to make an allegation agains someone on the net that I can't defend in public, or in a court if law.   

4 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

This isn't a Kohli to KLR comparison. 

If we were comparing T20s, then, one could argue that Rahul's averages have been built against Zimbabwe, Lanka (latest tour), Windies and England. 

This argument can go on and on. 

And calling Kohli corrupt as they come, well I try mostly not to make an allegation agains someone on the net that I can't defend in public, or in a court if law.   

eng and WI are quite good in T20s, esp WI (champions). rahul's record has been mostly compiled against decent T20 teams. as for kohli, it's hard to know whether he is corrupt or inept.

Edited by Vijy