If Pandya makes silly mistakes don't compare him with me: Kapil Dev

On 1/17/2018 at 9:50 PM, Gollum said:

Kapil made his fair share of silly mistakes back in the day :phehe:

On 1/17/2018 at 9:53 PM, zen said:

If Kapil hadn't made silly mistakes in his career, he could have ended up with a test avg of around 40

Please do share some of his silly mistake video, havent seen cricket in his era. Would love to see such videos where these players say something which they have done it in their own times

The other day i saw MAdan lal Laughing at philander calling him a 125k bowler ..........irony

Few matches ago

Hardik Pandya is better than me. But he has to do a lot of hard work. It is still too early. We should not create unnecessary burden on him. He has the talent and ability to be a great player,” Kapil said during a press conference, according to a report by CNN-News 18. 

http://www.financialexpress.com/sports/hardik-pandya-is-better-than-me-kapil-dev/874006/

26 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Few matches ago

Hardik Pandya is better than me. But he has to do a lot of hard work. It is still too early. We should not create unnecessary burden on him. He has the talent and ability to be a great player,” Kapil said during a press conference, according to a report by CNN-News 18. 

http://www.financialexpress.com/sports/hardik-pandya-is-better-than-me-kapil-dev/874006/

Nothing wrong in what he said.... yes Pandya is talented.,,and anyone who plays a ramp shot on a 5th day tough pitch trying to save the game is a dumbass

Like he never made silly mistakes in his career. Hate players who get so haughty...

Isn't it easier to keep it simple and say that Pandya is supremely talented, but is throwing it away by making silly mistakes, and he should play more responsibly

Edited by bowl_out
15 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Isn't he the same guy who kept out a young and fast Srinath so that he could chase Hadlee's record.? 

In the last couple of years of his career Kapil averaged 39.85 with the bat and 29.48 with the ball. 

His career average was 31.05 with the bat and 29.64 with the ball. 

8 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Please do share some of his silly mistake video, havent seen cricket in his era. Would love to see such videos where these players say something which they have done it in their own times

The other day i saw MAdan lal Laughing at philander calling him a 125k bowler ..........irony

Kapil Dev threw his wicket like Pandya in the 1984 home series against Eng when we were trying to save a test,got dropped by Sunny after that incident which sparked a riot like situation in Eden. Fruits and eggs were thrown at Sunny who vowed that he would never step foot into Kolkata again. Read about it in some cricinfo article earlier,dunno about video. 

In 1987 WC SF again he threw his wicket when we were comfortably placed in the chase, he was also captain in that match. 

He was very disciplined with the ball and in the field but as @zen pointed out, serial underachiever with the bat. He should have averaged 40+, he was as good as Botham with the bat. 

Edited by Gollum

Some people who are blaming Kapil for bloking Sreenath and other youngsters,  need to check Kapil's series wise record towards the end of his career.Kapil was such a legendary all rounder who adjusted emphatically to all adversities he had to cope with thru out his career.When ever he realised(especially towards the end of his career with an aging body)  that the heavy work load & lack of support bowling was not at all going to help him, he took out his one day expertise into play and checked the run rate effectively.That's why I rate him so highly, infact the best of the FAB 4 of 80s.Kapil's bat avg: was not built by playing umpteen not outs when every tom dick and harry could buy some cheap runs especially against weaker teams, but by scoring quality runs in a murderous manner in the company of tail enders  when every body failed & also against great bowling units with the team in dire straits .Nor did he resort to cheap tactics like ball tampering  like the 'padosi Kaptaan' and some others of his times.

14 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Kapil Dev threw his wicket like Pandya in the 1984 home series against Eng when we were trying to save a test,got dropped by Sunny after that incident which sparked a riot like situation in Eden. Fruits and eggs were thrown at Sunny who vowed that he would never step foot into Kolkata again. Read about it in some cricinfo article earlier,dunno about video. 

In 1987 WC SF again he threw his wicket when we were comfortably placed in the chase, he was also captain in that match. 

He was very disciplined with the ball and in the field but as @zen pointed out, serial underachiever with the bat. He should have averaged 40+, he was as good as Botham with the bat. 

we must keep in mind that the incidents you indicated are far different from what Pandya did in the previous test.Yes... Kapil threw his wkt away, but it was his style of play & method.That's why he could score so many quality runs  against high class bowling on a lot of other occasions.Sometimes it fails.

9 hours ago, maniac said:

Nothing wrong in what he said.... yes Pandya is talented.,,and anyone who plays a ramp shot on a 5th day tough pitch trying to save the game is a dumbass

How wud we have saved the test. If we had batted whole day we wud have won . 

He is young n learning, it isnt that players havent done mistakes like this . He scored runs of same shot and going in shell wudnt have helped. M not defending his shot but young players need patience. 

Both extremes are not right that after one game kapil says he is better then me and after another dont compare to me. It sounds stupid more from a cricketer as he himself has gone through phases of learning and seen same with others around. 

Once rohit sharma played a stupid shot before lunch to get out in england and he had then 7-8 yrs of international exp.

Sehwag has gotten out to stupid shots his entire life, but he scored on same 

Ishant sharma in the same game did the same mistake of not landing his bat while running and that guy has played more then 70 test.

Look at pujara 2 runs outs in same game the so called next dravid. 

Rahul - Wth was that shot

The point all do mistakes , but patience is needed with young players. 

5 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

How wud we have saved the test. If we had batted whole day we wud have won . 

He is young n learning, it isnt that players havent done mistakes like this . He scored runs of same shot and going in shell wudnt have helped. M not defending his shot but young players need patience. 

Both extremes are not right that after one game kapil says he is better then me and after another dont compare to me. It sounds stupid more from a cricketer as he himself has gone through phases of learning and seen same with others around. 

Once rohit sharma played a stupid shot before lunch to get out in england and he had then 7-8 yrs of international exp.

Sehwag has gotten out to stupid shots his entire life, but he scored on same 

Ishant sharma in the same game did the same mistake of not landing his bat while running and that guy has played more then 70 test.

Look at pujara 2 runs outs in same game the so called next dravid. 

Rahul - Wth was that shot

The point all do mistakes , but patience is needed with young players. 

2 wrongs don’t make a right...this thread is about Pandya...just because others are messing up doesn’t justify his shot either.

It was a very dumb shot..yes people make mistakes but how many people attempt a ramp shots in tests leave alone on the 5th day.

Why are your getting so defensive?

stupidity is stupid regardless of who it is.

1 minute ago, maniac said:

2 wrongs don’t make a right...this thread is about Pandya...just because others are messing up doesn’t justify his shot either.

It was a very dumb shot..yes people make mistakes but how many people attempt a ramp shots in tests leave alone on the 5th day.

Why are your getting so defensive?

stupidity is stupid regardless of who it is.

Yes it was a poor shot but it happens with everyone .....its a part of his learning

All m saying is a youngsters needs more patience then criticism 

This to say dnt compare him with me- kapil

He is arrogant- manju 

This is a very wrong attitude in indian cricket towards youngsters. Not only pandya we have seen in last few months when players were failing at 4 the lack of patience shown by these experts against them. 

How do u think these TTFs return , coz we have no patience with youngsters. 

What is wrong in what Kapil said, Kapil is critisizing Pandya however at the same time he is also encouraging him to come good and stop making silly mistakes,

Some of the comments here ridiculing Kapil is outrageous, these commenters have no idea how discipline Kapil was and about his commentary I could say he never was a great speaker a shy individual most of the time during his playing days who seldom make eye contact, as far as his batting goes he was a aggressive batsman who would look to score of every opportunity but would never play silly shots like Pandya trying to look too cute.

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Yes it was a poor shot but it happens with everyone .....its a part of his learning

All m saying is a youngsters needs more patience then criticism 

This to say dnt compare him with me- kapil

He is arrogant- manju 

This is a very wrong attitude in indian cricket towards youngsters. Not only pandya we have seen in last few months when players were failing at 4 the lack of patience shown by these experts against them. 

How do u think these TTFs return , coz we have no patience with youngsters. 

You know my thoughts on TTfs and oldies returning.

What is lacking in everyone in the team and in this case  Pandya since the thread is about him is match awareness. You can be attacking and all that which is great  but you have to play according to situation...even a hitter like AB played for a full day to draw a match.

I have pointed out that some of the shots on a minefield on a 5th day were embarrassing...leave alone ramp shots and inside out shots even Ashwin who got out driving on the up was unacceptable.

Being a Youngster is not an excuse to be an idiot...that is like pakistani excuse for Amir’s fixing.

Plenty of youngsters who have shown maturity and awareness have gone on to be legends.

Let us hope Pandya learns from this but he has played a substantial amount of games,such things usually are natural...let us hope for his and our sake he works on it, but he does look like someone who has too much juzbaa junoon(more than required) with loads of talent 

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

Let us hope Pandya learns from this but he has played a substantial amount of games,such things usually are natural...let us hope for his and our sake he works on it, but he does look like someone who has too much juzbaa junoon(more than required) with loads of talent 

I see more of "Halkatpana" then Jazba and Junoon, he likes to show off, playing for his image rather then play for country or situations