Sanju Samson fails yo-yo test, ruled out of India A’s England tour

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

i knw thats not a high benchmark, but tendulkar was not into to much fitness so i doubt he wud have cleared 16 to and others like sehwag , laxman, ganguly wudnt havent for sure  

16 is unfit boundary. They weren't fitness freaks, but they were not unfit either.

3 hours ago, vishalvirsingh said:

what is yoy yo test?

is any one an expert , can some one explain..i understand it is more of a run test between two marks and one has to do some 8 to 10 rounds in a stipulated time , if one cannot do in that time he scores less.

You have run between 2 points back an forth. Initially time required to do cover the distance will be very high, so you can jog to that distance. Time will keep on decreasing gradually with next rounds and you have increase your pace accordingly. Score is point when you fail to do so.

It's improved version of what we did in school. How did you test whether a person fit - ask him to run 4 times around the ground. But in that person will choose to run faster at some time and slower at some other other. It's completely upto him.

Here you have to run similar distances, only change is that process is fixed and you can't choose speeds. You have to increase your pace gradually and remain fast enough after say 2 km to cover the same at faster speed. 

Seeing a person diving to catch a ball, or running hard near boundary will have nothing to do with the test. You can be very quick, but if you can do that only for 5 mins, then you can't pass the test.

It makes more sense for test players who are more used to surviving for long hours and anyone who loses steam quickly can't pass the test and can't be considered fit for test cricket. 

You don't have to be super fit to pass the test, it's endurance test, not test of your agility, max speed or anything like that. High scoring players are more likely to be very quick between wickets as they can only survive the reduced time at later stages, but even the players who run fast between wicket can fail the test.

Player A - can run at 20 kmph for 20 yards

Player B can run at 23 kmph for 20 yards

Player A can run at 18 kph after running 1000 m of jogging

Player B can run at max 13 kph after 1000 m of jogging

Although B is faster but still more likely to fail the test.

If a cricketer who can't clear yo yo test plays a test match then he is likely to get tired after scoring 40-50 runs and is unlikely to have energy to score centuries. He may still pull off a blinder at boundary - but that's completely different thing.

A bowler who fails yo yo test is likely to lose all pace and and steam afterr 3-4 spells.

Becomes more crucial for test cricket than any other format.

what's the distance covered during these yoyo tests? And what's the total time duration of these tests? 

In my opinion such tests are good for sports like basketball where your're pacing continuously back and forth  in speed bursts...even we had such fitness  tests called 'suicides' when trying out for the basketball. Cricket has too many variations for it to be a good test i.e fielding, bowling fast/spin, batting.  They should adapt it to fit the fitness required for cricket instead of just copying from other sports.

Edited by PBN
38 minutes ago, PBN said:

what's the distance covered during these yoyo tests? And what's the total time duration of these tests? 

In my opinion such tests are good for sports like basketball where your're pacing continuously back and forth  in speed bursts...even we had such fitness  tests called 'suicides' when trying out for the basketball. Cricket has too many variations for it to be a good test i.e fielding, bowling fast/spin, batting.  They should adapt it to fit the fitness required for cricket instead of just copying from other sports.

Even NBA teams have realized these tests' futility and no longer take them :

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/sport-others/even-nba-teams-dont-use-yo-yo-test-boden-westover-director-of-marketing-at-catapult-sports-5200751/

14 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

What makes you think so?

They would have cleared yo yo test easily. Required score is 16 and not 20.

Even 16 isnt easy. Yo Yo test is a complicated test. First timers will find it hard. Sundar failed first time and then soon after he cleared it. Does it mean Sundar improved his fitness in just a month or two drastically. No. It just practiced the test and got used to it. 

Edited by rkt.india
1 minute ago, Lannister said:

We will go back to donkeys era if we don't take it seriously. This is their profession and they get paid for it. How hard is it to keep themselves fit? Ashwin, Pujara, I cringe whenever I see them fielding. 

And Ashwin and pujara both cleared yo yo.

45 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Even 16 isnt easy. Yo Yo test is a complicated test. First timers will find it hard. Sundar failed first time and then soon after he cleared it. Does it mean Sundar improved his fitness in just a month or two drastically. No. It just practiced the test and got used to it. 

Even if they had practiced running long distances properly they could have cleared the test.

28 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Even if they had practiced running long distances properly they could have cleared the test.

Do you think they dont practice running? They all do but Yo Yo is a technical test and one needs to understand the technique even if you are fit. Otherwise tell me how Sundar failed it first time and then cleared it 15 days later. cant be that he improved his fitness drastically in 15 days.

33 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Both of them can bowl and bat whole day in tests.

Samson is fitter and more athletic than both these two.  he took the best catch taken by an Indian in IPL on par with Pandey's catch. he could not take that catch without being athletic and good fitness.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Do you think they dont practice running? They all do but Yo Yo is a technical test and one needs to understand the technique even if you are fit. Otherwise tell me how Sundar failed it first time and then cleared it 15 days later. cant be that he improved his fitness drastically in 15 days.

15 days are enough for improving on that part.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Samson is fitter and more athletic than both these two.  he took the best catch taken by an Indian in IPL on par with Pandey's catch. he could not take that catch without being athletic and good fitness.

How does diving and running fast indicate that you can sustain it for long time?

It's saying like Usain Bolt will beat marathon runners.