Are India ready to take on this England side in ODIs?

chewy

1 hour ago, Forever Indian said:

Not entirely true. Even on flat pitches Yorkers are Yorkers, so teams which have effective death bowlers can minimise damage. Similarly if the opposition can't pick wrist spinners then that's a big advantage even on a non spinning deck. Aussies neither had effective death bowlers nor good wrist spinners. Indian team has Bumrah, Bhuvi, Chagall and Kuldeep. So, sure will make a difference.

how does variation matters if ball is not spinning?  variation can be effective only if ball turns.  regarding yorkers, yorkers are good but very less margin of error and then they play a lot of scoops.

Edited by rkt.india

Ironically , the key to the modern ODI played on flat pitches, lightning outfields with monster bats and 2 useless kookaburra balls that don't deviate an inch off the straight is wrist spin. Hopefully chahal and Yadav will do what they did in SA and flight the ball with a lot of revs at a slow 70 kph. Either that or we need to get a batting lineup like theirs with power hitters all the way. I personally think we are the only team capable of beating this English side even on flat wickets.

51 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

who does variation matters if ball is not spinning?  variation can be effective only if ball turns.  regarding yorkers, yorkers are good but very less margin of error and then they play a lot of scoops.

Wrist spinners can extract something from even non spinning decks and it gets extenuated when variations are not picked. This was what happened in SA tour, they were by no means spinning deck.

21 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

Wrist spinners can extract something from even non spinning decks and it gets extenuated when variations are not picked. This was what happened in SA tour, they were by no means spinning deck.

our wrist spinners are not real turners of the ball.  look at what Klassen did in SA. They do well in India because the ball turns.

37 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Ironically , the key to the modern ODI played on flat pitches, lightning outfields with monster bats and 2 useless kookaburra balls that don't deviate an inch off the straight is wrist spin. Hopefully chahal and Yadav will do what they did in SA and flight the ball with a lot of revs at a slow 70 kph. Either that or we need to get a batting lineup like theirs with power hitters all the way. I personally think we are the only team capable of beating this English side even on flat wickets.

Chahal was thrashed in SA by Klassen if i remember.

1 hour ago, Forever Indian said:

Not entirely true. Even on flat pitches Yorkers are Yorkers, so teams which have effective death bowlers can minimise damage. Similarly if the opposition can't pick wrist spinners then that's a big advantage even on a non spinning deck. Aussies neither had effective death bowlers nor good wrist spinners. Indian team has Bumrah, Bhuvi, Chagall and Kuldeep. So, sure will make a difference.

I think Chahal and Kuldeep are  good  but not as great as we are overrating them. They bowled well against SA but remember the pitches were bouncy and offering some turn. Once pitches gone flat even the super useless Pheklukwayo have taken them for cleaners. Besides they both have taken to cleaners in lot of games in IPL as well. They are good only if pitch has something to offer either bounce or turn which i think will not be there in england. So let's see how they perform there.

8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Chahal was thrashed in SA by Klassen if i remember.

Not consistently in the ODIs. I don't watch T20's except the odd one so I can't comment on those. Regardless I think they will do decently even in England. It's our batting that is a worry. 

8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Flat pitches, bowling doesn't matter. It's a batting contest.

No, bhuvi and bumrah actually thrives on flat pitches. There yorkers, knuckle balls are even more effective on flat pitches. 

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

our wrist spinners are not real turners of the ball.  look at what Klassen did in SA. They do well in India because the ball turns.

1 hour ago, raki05 said:

I think Chahal and Kuldeep are  good  but not as great as we are overrating them. They bowled well against SA but remember the pitches were bouncy and offering some turn. Once pitches gone flat even the super useless Pheklukwayo have taken them for cleaners. Besides they both have taken to cleaners in lot of games in IPL as well. They are good only if pitch has something to offer either bounce or turn which i think will not be there in england. So let's see how they perform there.

We won the SA ODI series comprehensively. Thrashing by Klassen was in a couple of matches only and that too in dead rubber matches.

Anyways, let's see how the Eng ODIs go. I believe our spinners will do well. But that's only if kaptaan Saab doesn't decide to drop Kuldeep.

16 hours ago, Gollum said:

This series Aus team didn't feature: Warner, Smith, Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Pattinson. CA giving ODI cricket the respect it deserves LOL. Imagine us resting Dhawan, Kohli, Bhuvi, Bumrah, Kuldeep, Chahal....no wonder Poms are looking world class atm :phehe:

It's been Australia's tried and tested method to sideways use bilateral ODI cricket to rest bench strength and tactics. They will be more competitive than this come the WC. 

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

It's been Australia's tried and tested method to sideways use bilateral ODI cricket to rest bench strength and tactics. They will be more competitive than this come the WC. 

Exactly,hope the blunt Indian management takes some cue from,Aussie methods fetch them rewards in the longer run while others keep playing their washed out ones for these bilaterals

13 hours ago, sandeep said:

In fact, Cummins, Starc Hazlewood, Pattinson all are injured at the moment or recovering from injuries and none of them could play IPL due to that. So, it is not by choice but by circumstances.

18 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

We won the SA ODI series comprehensively. Thrashing by Klassen was in a couple of matches only and that too in dead rubber matches.

Anyways, let's see how the Eng ODIs go. I believe our spinners will do well. But that's only if kaptaan Saab doesn't decide to drop Kuldeep.

you did not understand what I wanted to say. Our spinners got dry pitches in ODIs this time in SA where ball turned and as soon as they got conditions where ball was not turning, they got thrashed. 

13 hours ago, sandeep said:

And both times, only when the ball was so wet due to rain that the spinners couldn't grip it well.  Good for Klassen though, he got some IPL cash and exposure out of those games.  

they will get same conditions in England where there might not be much dew, but ball will not turn like it did in SA.

11 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Exactly,hope the blunt Indian management takes some cue from,Aussie methods fetch them rewards in the longer run while others keep playing their washed out ones for these bilaterals

there is no such Aussie method.  When all your main bowlers are injured what were they going to do? play 2nd string which they are doing.  No method behind that.

53 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

there is no such Aussie method.  When all your main bowlers are injured what were they going to do? play 2nd string which they are doing.  No method behind that.

There has always been a method,they have used those for decades now,and its quite apparant of late,even if their main bowlers are fit they dont exhaust them playing in bilaterals ,by doing so they tick several boxes unlike ours(think tank)

30 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

There has always been a method,they have used those for decades now,and its quite apparant of late,even if their main bowlers are fit they dont exhaust them playing in bilaterals ,by doing so they tick several boxes unlike ours(think tank)

The main players rarely sit out even if it's a dead rubber. Is this something to do with the Advertisers or it's a case of insecurity where they think they might lose their place if someone else comes in? Dhawan/Rohit is already feeling the heat because of KL Rahul, and hence they are making sure he has been kept out through various means.