Team selection for test series against England. Pant, Kuldeep picked for first three England Tests, Rohit left out [Updated post# 1]

16 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Looks like Rajpoot is injured.

And Siraj is picking wickets for fun in all the 4 innings he has played for India A  in the four day games in England.

Siraj has 15 wickets so far in 2 matches with 7 more wickets to go.   How is Shardul selected over him  ?

Rajpoot needs to work on his fitness.  he looked a bit flabby recently.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

Rajpoot needs to work on his fitness.  he looked a bit flabby recently.

Why not throw in a couple of U-19 guys in the mix like they did with Ishant back in the day. that was just a rhetorical thought.

Anyways we will be in troubled by Pak and Australia,2 teams which have left arm seamers in their ranks. this think-tank has a left-right fetish,why can't they pick a left arm seamer just in the team to bowl to the batsman at nets.

Don't think we have any though at the test level. fortunately with Unadkut or even with Sran and Sangwan all seem to be LOI bowlers at best.

10 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

i dont like injured players being picked. Bumrah should not have been picked. Include him only once he gets fit to play instead of filling squad with someone injured better to pick someone who is fit to play.  I doubt he will recover from the surgery in 14 days. 

He had surgery on 5th July.  That means he has 35 days to get fit for the 2nd test.

20 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

i dont like injured players being picked. Bumrah should not have been picked. Include him only once he gets fit to play instead of filling squad with someone injured better to pick someone who is fit to play.  I doubt he will recover from the surgery in 14 days. 

This. Dunno why inured players are part of squads. That's one man less to choose from.

16 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Why not throw in a couple of U-19 guys in the mix like they did with Ishant back in the day. that was just a rhetorical thought.

Anyways we will be in troubled by Pak and Australia,2 teams which have left arm seamers in their ranks. this think-tank has a left-right fetish,why can't they pick a left arm seamer just in the team to bowl to the batsman at nets.

Don't think we have any though at the test level. fortunately with Unadkut or even with Sran and Sangwan all seem to be LOI bowlers at best.

That trend stopped long ago. Ironically i think Kohli was one of the last to be picked almost immediately after playing in a U19 World cup. These days picking players on potential doesn't seem to fly well with the management. Very rigid process i guess.

Just now, Nikhil_cric said:

That trend stopped long ago. Ironically i think Kohli was one of the last to be picked almost immediately after playing in a U19 World cup. These days picking players on potential doesn't seem to fly well with the management. Very rigid process i guess.

Pandya bros both of them got a shot after not doing much in domestics just based on their IPL exploits, Sundar is another guy. We picked them because the slot was there and not many options . We desperately need a left arm seamer.

Even Willey troubled us on what where pancake pitches.

Amir and even that left arm bowler from Australia ran through our top order.why can't we pick a left arm seamer?

Yeah I agree we stopped taking risks on the U-19 players. On the other hand IPL seems to have become a criteria which it wasn't so much in the first few editions when it came to selections.

24 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

yes, Shivam Mavi could have been tried but in ODIs.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Only surgeons can tell us the exact timeline after knowing about the nature of his injury and the surgery.

Also not to forget,these guys have world class rehab facilities. I am 100% sure the BCCI provides world class facilities for player rehabs be it physios,doctors or trainers.

However the team management rushing in players or trying to beat the system and playing favorites is what is the shady part.

5 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Pandya bros both of them got a shot after not doing much in domestics just based on their IPL exploits, Sundar is another guy. We picked them because the slot was there and not many options . We desperately need a left arm seamer.

Even Willey troubled us on what where pancake pitches.

Amir and even that left arm bowler from Australia ran through our top order.why can't we pick a left arm seamer?

Yeah I agree we stopped taking risks on the U-19 players. On the other hand IPL seems to have become a criteria which it wasn't so much in the first few editions when it came to selections.

Top performers in IPL should not automatically get selected for Indian ODI team imo unless it is purely based on their potential and not stats. International T20's i have no problem and IPL should be the criteria. Pandya i think was selected purely because he's a very gifted athlete and i'm OK with trying players like that.

12 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Only one pandya has played for India

Their selection is more then about stats, its about need of the team

2 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Kohli selects much better squads in tests. Makes you believe Dhoni is behind nonsense selections in ODIs. 

squads are picked by selectors. XI's are picked by Kohli. in tests most our players are good,even then there were goof ups in South Africa.

Even the current ODI squad that played,minor tweaks to the X1 would have ensured a different result.

9 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Kohli selects much better squads in tests. Makes you believe Dhoni is behind nonsense selections in ODIs. 

You mean like how:

• he played Rohit at no.3 in place of Pujara in India
  • kicked out Rahane and played Rohit in SA 
  • opened with Dhawan in place of KL Rahul
  • Recycled Gambhir as opener
  • Recycled Parthiv as keeper when everyone including their grandmom know about his keeping capabilities
  • Kuldeep could play a test in Aus series only when Rahane took over captaincy
  • Dropped Bhuvi in next test after he was our best bowler and second best batsman in SA

and lastly not allowing any batsman to settle into a spot in test XI.

Edited by Forever Indian