Sourav Ganguly bats for Rohit Sharma’s inclusion for Australia Test series

Don't know what is the problem with these ex players.... even  with those  who are perceived to have a bit more sense than normal like Ganguly.... Rohit has a proven track record of  failing in  all 4 of SENA. It has been only in NZL  that he is some what succesful with just 40 avg:. Even it is far from convincing with a very small sample size. The best bet in AUS still is Vijay with and emphatic record in AUS with vast experience to go with it. He and Shaw(if he becomes successful .His fearless  youth approach with   a clear positive mind  can bring in at least 2 or 3  reasonably big scores I suppose, just like Sehwag)  can lay the foundation for the rest of the inns.

1 hour ago, velu said:

yeah .. but ganguly was half the same batsmen after his weakness vs bounce got exposed by flintoff and akhtar 

but he did play decently unlike raina

there are batsmen who are good against bounce .. rohit , kohli , dhoni etc are all good agaisnt bounce 

Those are just two examples though and pretty extreme. We rarely saw ganguly struggle against others. That odi against akhtar he was bowling with genuine pace. Ganguly has that 144 at Brisbane. He also has that knock at joburg and even that Delhi test in 2007.

Edited by Laaloo
4 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

Don't know what is the problem with these ex players.... even  with those  who are perceived to have a bit more sense than normal like Ganguly.... Rohit has a proven track record of  failing in  all 4 of SENA. It has been only in NZL  that he is some what succesful with just 40 avg:. Even it is far from convincing with a very small sample size. The best bet in AUS still is Vijay with and emphatic record in AUS with vast experience to go with it. He and Shaw(if he becomes successful .His fearless  youth approach with   a clear positive mind  can bring in at least 2 or 3  reasonably big scores I suppose, just like Sehwag)  can lay the foundation for the rest of the inns.

I can understand where Ganguly is coming from and he is not totally wrong tbh. Rohit is decent against bounce and someone who got good pull shots. He likes the ball comes to the bat nicely. Australian tracks have everything that Rohit fancies and to top it all there are no banana swings with Kookkaburra balls.

But the point which Ganguly is missing is the bowling attack of Starc-Hazelwood-Cummins is world class and a proven test failure like Rohit will struggle against them (not the conditions). Even Dhawan will be better in Australia compared to how he did in Eng. But no point in going back and we must stick to Shaw-Rahul for now.

12 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

I can understand where Ganguly is coming from and he is not totally wrong tbh. Rohit is decent against bounce and someone who got good pull shots. He likes the ball comes to the bat nicely. Australian tracks have everything that Rohit fancies and to top it all there are no banana swings with Kookkaburra balls.

But the point which Ganguly is missing is the bowling attack of Starc-Hazelwood-Cummins is world class and a proven test failure like Rohit will struggle against them (not the conditions). Even Dhawan will be better in Australia compared to how he did in Eng. But no point in going back and we must stick to Shaw-Rahul for now.

what is the problem with Vijay? Is he over aged?? Was he a failure in AUS??

2 minutes ago, speedheat said:

Yeah he is good against pace but pace anything less than 137kph phaaaastt alas methews,Faulkner, thissara, pehlu..

Credit where credit due. He was damn good against akhtar and padosi pacers when he first came up and I think he did well against malinga also. Although it's hard to find a good innings by dhoni against a genuine pacer in the last 5 years or probably even farther back. It's been a long time. Two of dhonis good innings in the last few years came against england trundlers and his boi thisara perera. 

4 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Credit where credit due. He was damn good against akhtar and padosi pacers when he first came up and I think he did well against malinga also. Although it's hard to find a good innings by dhoni against a genuine pacer in the last 5 years or probably even farther back. It's been a long time. Two of dhonis good innings in the last few years came against england trundlers and his boi thisara perera. 

But problem is velu is Playing old tapes of dhoni smashing pacers and thinking it to be live..:laugh:

Dada for all his strengths had his flaws as well. He was very keen to get yuvi settling into the test XI. 

Viru was an exception to the rule that good technique is necessary for success in tests. It doesn't mean that good strokeplayers can all be good test players. 

I'm all for Rohit ahead of say Rahane in Asia but not so in SENA. 

2 hours ago, Laaloo said:

he regularly smashed bowlers like steyn , bhuvi in IPLs ..

genuine pace is good for him , he dont need to middle it to clear the fence :bandit:

because of his stance he cant hit wide , full , outside the off balls well , so he leave it expecting it to be given wide but   use to get klpd ..

but he is clueless against spin , his game totally deteriorated against spin .. 

38 minutes ago, velu said:

he regularly smashed bowlers like steyn , bhuvi in IPLs ..

genuine pace is good for him , he dont need to middle it to clear the fence :bandit:

because of his stance he cant hit wide , full , outside the off balls well , so he leave it expecting it to be given wide but   use to get klpd ..

but he is clueless against spin , his game totally deteriorated against spin .. 

I was hoping for examples other than IPL. You know IPL is not serious cricket. Heck do you see anyone on this forum even take or refer to IPL stats?

22 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

I was hoping for examples other than IPL. You know IPL is not serious cricket. Heck do you see anyone on this forum even take or refer to IPL stats?

bowlers wont suddenly turn crap in IPL .. infact quality of the IPL teams are far better than international teams 

ronaldo is remembered not for what did for Portugal , messi is remebered for what he is doing it for barcelona :phew: