“Leave India,” Virat Kohli Tells Fan Who Like Foreign Batsmen More Than Indian Batsmen and the tale of Sachin and his Ferrari

8 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Using one's clout is lobbying. 

Using ones clout to get some favor from politicians is generally called corruption.Had a politician's son done the same...he would be getting called names.

Using words like lobbying does not change that.

14 minutes ago, raki05 said:

+especially if the tax price is more than the price of the vehicle.

He had the option of not taking the gift or making sure the gifters paid the money due to the govt.....instead of getting a politician to sign off the dues.

Edited by beetle
7 hours ago, Mariyam said:

So there is no question of a Custom Duty evasion charge.

There is no charge since the duty was eventually paid by the gifting entity. But trying to wriggle out of the duty payment is a corrupt practice which sachin tried to do. This luxury item was at 120% duty are you saying govt is wrong in applyi g that duty ammount on this item and should have allowed sachin go free even after the pil ? Sorry that wont be supported by many common people..lol.

20 minutes ago, beetle said:

He had the option of not taking the gift or making sure the gifters paid the money due to the govt.....instead of getting a politician to sign off the dues.

May be he was not quite sure about this or thought all the things will be taken care by gifters.  BTW if someone gifts something, you don't ask whats the warranty period, ISI mark is there or not. You just take it.:p:

Edited by raki05
2 hours ago, raki05 said:

May be he was not quite sure about this or thought all the things will be taken care by gifters.  BTW if someone gifts something, you don't ask whats the warranty period, ISI mark is there or not. You just take it.:p:

I have some rules.

Unless it is a diamond( which can be one of those blood diamonds) or cash (it could be laundered money) or women (could be honey trap or human trafficking ) or weapons ( could be used in terrorism) I think I am going to accept every other  gift no questions asked :)

Edit- adding poached animals as well, I take this gifting **** very seriously :hitler:

Edited by Global.Baba
9 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Using one's clout is lobbying.

again symptomatic of what ails Indian society, this is not a democratic event with public policy at stake here - there is no check or balance in an entity trying to prevent a import duty on a piece of imported luxury item, so there is no room of lobbying there, its just pure personal interest, meaning there is no collective interest (except the gifter - so trying to lobby for duty removal by the gifted is 'conflict of Interest'. 

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

it was a gift, so, why would he pay import duty? what is the purpose of gift then? 

the problem is not on whether sachin has to pay duty or not - its irrelevant before law. The problem is the said duty itself, meaning duty had to be paid for that item ( when it gets imported) and should not have been exempted, which is what was upheld. if an attempt was made to exempt it through political connections reflects poorly on any individual trying it.

1 hour ago, Global.Baba said:

Apart from the whole ethics of gifting, what exactly is this Sachin and Ferrari discussion accomplishing lol

@Vilander Sachin is god, our literature and epics even ensure god has some flaws for the greater good, so Sachin is still god.

Now what is your next relevant topic to this discussion?

i agree fully with the bolded part , i will stop posting about that topic in this thread. and  cringe lol'd for the inbetween part & going to pretend to not have read it.

Edited by Vilander
1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

He wanted tax exemption because it was a gift.  there is nothing wrong in that.  It is not like he got the car smuggled into India.

So , people can just get gifted  a ton of gold and enter country and refuse to pay duty on it because it was gifted?

That can be a good business .

7 minutes ago, beetle said:

So , people can just get gifted  a ton of gold and enter country and refuse to pay duty on it because it was gifted?

That can be a good business .

No but if someone gives me a lot of gold busicits I am a happy.baba

Then suddenly customs asks me to pay boat loads of money which exceeds the value of gold price for stuff that I did not need to begin with, I am a furious.baba.

Then if my minister friend waves of the custom duty for me I become a happy.baba again.

Then if someone calls me a criminal.baba then all I can say they have no idea and are ignorant and I will tell them don’t forget the dot 

Edited by Global.Baba
18 minutes ago, Vilander said:

the problem is not on whether sachin has to pay duty or not - its irrelevant before law. The problem is the said duty itself, meaning duty had to be paid for that item ( when it gets imported) and should not have been exempted, which is what was upheld. if an attempt was made to exempt it through political connections reflects poorly on any individual trying it.

why does it reflect poorly on anyone trying it?

4 hours ago, Vilander said:

There is no charge since the duty was eventually paid by the gifting entity. But trying to wriggle out of the duty payment is a corrupt practice which sachin tried to do. This luxury item was at 120% duty are you saying govt is wrong in applyi g that duty ammount on this item and should have allowed sachin go free even after the pil ? Sorry that wont be supported by many common people..lol.

There is nothing corrupt about applying for an exemption. Bribing someone to make sure the exemption is passed is corruption. Filing for one, is exercising one's right.