Rohit actually looked “alright”

Cricketics

KLR - Chased wide delivery. Pathetic

Vijay - Drove the wrong line after a wide delivery got surprisingly middled to four. Drive was not on. Very poor

Rahane - Similar to Vijay.

Kohli - Chased a wide delivery - he was in ODI mode. 

So in short KLR looks closest to being dropped, Vijay too as he already got dropped. 

So Have Shaw and Puj play 1,2 

Have Vihari and Rohit in lineup unless KLR and Vijay do something miraculous in second innings. 

3 minutes ago, Vilander said:

KLR - Chased wide delivery. Pathetic

Vijay - Drove the wrong line after a wide delivery got surprisingly middled to four. Drive was not on. Very poor

Rahane - Similar to Vijay.

Kohli - Chased a wide delivery - he was in ODI mode. 

So in short KLR looks closest to being dropped, Vijay too as he already got dropped. 

So Have Shaw and Puj play 1,2 

Have Vihari and Rohit in lineup unless KLR and Vijay do something miraculous in second innings. 

Agree with most of what you wrote. I know Rohit played "decently", but I don't think he is a Test-level bat in SENA. Would rather play 5 bowlers and have Jaddu at 6 or 7. He can also score a quick fire 20 or 30, which is what most of our batters at this position seem to do in general.

Che, Shaw, Vihari, Kohli, Rahane/Rohit, Jaddu, Pant, Ashwin/Kuldeep (depends on Ash's bowling), and the same 3 pacers.

Edited by Vijy

Rohit looked more confident than rahane but his shot was pathetic. I am his fan but this was his best chance to score big runs or atleast 60-70 odd to make some impact. Thing is there are so many issues in playing xi that rohit isn't really biggest issue. Rahul, Vijay and Rahane are big issue for team india in this series specially rahane who is 0% confident against lyon. Rahul too is poor this year and vijay is past prime. Give Vihari a go but at rahane's spot right now.

3 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Just give him full series and see what he can do. If he fails like dhawan did then never pick him again but don't drop him for 2nd test then bring for 4th test again and then again for home series. Either make or break his career in this series. Same goes for Rahane & Rahul.

The problem with that approach is that he could do squat in 6 innings, we are down 3-0 and he comes in an scores a splendid, breathtaking Rohitesque 100+ from 90-ish balls in a meaningless match.  Then what?  

3 minutes ago, ExtremeBrainfade said:

The problem with that approach is that he could do squat in 6 innings, we are down 3-0 and he comes in an scores a splendid, breathtaking Rohitesque 100+ from 90-ish balls in a meaningless match.  Then what?  

I don't want him to get dropped in next match then virat will again pick him in 3rd or 4th test when someone fails then again in home series. Just get rid of him if he fails. We are anyway not winning this series not because of rohit but because of rahul, vijay and rahane are totally looking out of form. Pujara and Kohli are only dependable as of now.

Edited by Nikola
12 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Rohit looked more confident than rahane but his shot was pathetic. I am his fan but this was his best chance to score big runs or atleast 60-70 odd to make some impact. Thing is there are so many issues in playing xi that rohit isn't really biggest issue. Rahul, Vijay and Rahane are big issue for team india in this series specially rahane who is 0% confident against lyon. Rahul too is poor this year and vijay is past prime. Give Vihari a go but at rahane's spot right now.

Exactly what I am saying, we need to worry about other players than worry about Rohit whom I think should do fine in Australia.

24 minutes ago, Vilander said:

He was hustled.  The pace and bounce made him uncomfortable and took him out of his comfort zone.  That's why he ended up throwing his bat in silly fashion.  May be harsh, but he looks past it.  As bad as KLPD Rahul was, I think its more likely that Rahul will bounce back and find his groove, as compared to expecting any serious contribution from Vijay.  

Let's just hope our bowlers are able to keep Aus close, and keep us alive enough in the game for the batsmen to be able to do something in the 2nd innings.  But this is a big hole we've dug and jumped into.

Did anyone watch cricket in the 90s ? 
Rohit is the Indian current-day version of Carl Hooper. That man looked right in the league of Sachin-Lara when he was firing on all cylinders - correct technique, played like everyone is a medium pacer or ultra-slow spinners, with so much time, had every shot in the book, etc etc. Except, he lacked in the mentality department- which is also Rohit's main flaw (along with having no defensive techinque whatsoever). 

Rohit, like Hooper, will look pretty scoring 12 runs or 120. But throwing away his wicket in the position that the team was,on such a flat batting pitch, while being so experienced, is unforgivable. 

Pant i can be more patient with - he is a kid and he is trying to do things the only way he knows how. But i have no patience for a 30 year old 10 year veteran playing this way. 

6 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Did anyone watch cricket in the 90s ? 
Rohit is the Indian current-day version of Carl Hooper. That man looked right in the league of Sachin-Lara when he was firing on all cylinders - correct technique, played like everyone is a medium pacer or ultra-slow spinners, with so much time, had every shot in the book, etc etc. Except, he lacked in the mentality department- which is also Rohit's main flaw (along with having no defensive techinque whatsoever). 

Rohit, like Hooper, will look pretty scoring 12 runs or 120. But throwing away his wicket in the position that the team was,on such a flat batting pitch, while being so experienced, is unforgivable. 

Pant i can be more patient with - he is a kid and he is trying to do things the only way he knows how. But i have no patience for a 30 year old 10 year veteran playing this way. 

I think this comparison is quite spot on in Tests. Looks like a million bucks, and perpetually throws away his wkt. Rohit is our Carl Hooper, whereas Chepu is our Padams (prior to Adams' injury).

26 minutes ago, sandeep said:

That's why he ended up throwing his bat in silly fashion.  May be harsh, but he looks past it.  As bad as KLPD Rahul was,

may be, but he did not throw his bat at it , it was a poorly executed shot when there was no drive , may be too close to stumps and too fast we dont know. Rahul definitely threw his bat at it, a nothing shot at that stage. neither of them are good enough if pujara has to play from 3rd over he might as well face the first one. 

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

I think this comparison is quite spot on in Tests. Looks like a million bucks, and perpetually throws away his wkt. Rohit is our Carl Hooper, whereas Chepu is our Padams (prior to Adams' injury).

except he does not 'pad before bat' everything that is slower than 75mph, does he ?

5 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

except he does not 'pad before bat' everything that is slower than 75mph, does he ?

Nope. :) But Padams was pretty good against spin, and a very gritty bat who was hard to dislodge. Prior to his injury (against Malcolm?), he was avg something in the 70s I think, despite not looking very "pretty".

6 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Nope. :) But Padams was pretty good against spin, and a very gritty bat who was hard to dislodge. Prior to his injury (against Malcolm?), he was avg something in the 70s I think, despite not looking very "pretty".

yep, you are 100% right on that. Sad how one bad knock on the head can drastically change careers....IIRC before that bouncer from Malcolm, Padams was averaging in the high 60s or low 70s...since that knock, i think he averaged in high 20s or low 30s.

He was a perfect foil to Lara's flamboyance and for a while there i thought they'd be a winning middle order combo, sort of the way Dravid-Tendulkar partnerships went. 

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

Btw, i am just glad that Rohit is not an all-time great slip catcher like Hooper was and neither does he bowl at a 'nearly Jayasurya level' like Hooper did. Else we'd be permanently stuck with him.