Pujara, what a performance!

zen

If pujara keeps playing like this we will be forced to push sehwag out of ATG Indian test XI..

Gavaskar

Pujara

Dravid 

SRT 

Kohli 

Kapil

MSD

Ashwin

Kumble

Zak

Bumrah

Now we patiently wait for another fast bowler to claim Zak's place and Kuldeep begins his journey to eventually replace one of the spinners..

50 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Sunny scored 774 but  Kerry Packer players missed that series.  Also Sunny did debut in the second test of that series iirc after having a finger infection prior to first test.  Nevertheless Pujara is yet to bat second time in second innings. This is gonna be close.  

Though 1971 WI attack was quite ordinary.

1 hour ago, Straight Drive said:

Same here, in tests I rate Sunny as the best Indian batsman I have seen. I agree if Pujara comes close to that series Sunny had in 1971 , it's going to be legends stuff imo. 

In 1971,  the WI bowling attack was very ordinary.   SMG's  greatness was proved against much better Windies attacks from 1976  to  1985.  

Edited by express bowling
4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

In 1971,  the WI bowling attack was very ordinary.   SMG's  greatness was proved against much better Windies attacks from 1976  to  1983.  

Yup, I have already posted that in my previous post wrt Kerry Packer. Sobers was the only reputed bowler. However, Sunny was injured, missed first test. Made test debut in WI. Batted without helmet. Given the other context of those times 774 was huge runs.

The best innings I have watched Sunny bat was his 140 odd against the quartet of Marshall, Garner, Roberts and Holding in 1983. It was rain affected match and that pace attack was more dangerous in those conditions. All he had was a floppy hat. 

1 minute ago, Straight Drive said:

Yup, I have already posted that in my previous post wrt Kerry Packer. Sobers was the only reputed bowler. However, Sunny was injured, missed first test. Made test debut in WI. Batted without helmet. Given the other context of those times 774 was huge runs.

The best innings I have watched Sunny bat was his 140 odd against the quartet of Marshall, Garner, Roberts and Holding in 1983. It was rain affected match and that pace attack was more dangerous in those conditions. All he had was a floppy hat. 

and some of the guys were averaging less than 40 vs that attack 

Just now, zen said:

and some of the guys were averaging less than 40 vs that attack 

Overall Dilip Sardesai was good, so was Mankad. Vishy was wonderful. Jayantilal was below par anyways. Wadekar was okay.  I think Sunny scored 774 in 4 test as I am certain he missed debut in first one. Most other batsman were way behind even though they batted in all 5 tests iirc.

12 minutes ago, express bowling said:

That was a magical innings and he was using a skull cap.

He was not wearing skull cap in 1971. But as you said in 1983 it was there, still the whole of front face is exposed to the most fearsome pace quartet in history of game bowling in their home conditions and inclement weather in that test. A lot of other protective gear wasn't used as well. 

Edited by Straight Drive

brilliant  performance by Pujara.... how things can change some time!!!!!!.... Never rated him highly .Till the start of this series he had the most pathetic record in SENA.His county performance before ENG series and his silly LKG kid  like game awareness during the initial phases of the ENG series  provided no indication what so ever  of this turn around. So kudos to him for turning it around and hope he

continues to be  that bridge between  openers & middle order batsmen  for at least 4 more years( hope he does not turn out to be  another Murali Vijay) for the sake of the team.