Your unpopular opinion thread

Stradlater

15 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Sambar with  Dosa is useless. People consume it just because it is served along with. It is a TN thingy, even now remote smaller towns in Kar don't serve Sambar with Masala Dosa. Only mashed potato curry and diffetent kinds of chutney.

Sambhar in Bengaluru and Hyderabad is very poor in quality. Chennai Sambhar is in a different league, none of that sweet watery lentil/veggie-lite nonsense served in rest of South India. 

40 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Sambhar in Bengaluru and Hyderabad is very poor in quality. Chennai Sambhar is in a different league, none of that sweet watery lentil/veggie-lite nonsense served in rest of South India. 

We put jaggery in our sambar, hence it is sweet. TN and Andhra has more of tamarind , so tangy sauce instead of calling it sambar,

3 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

We put jaggery in our sambar, hence it is sweet. TN and Andhra has more of tamarind , so tangy sauce instead of calling it sambar,

I prefer the sambhar and onion/tomato chutney by Tamils, green and white chutney of Bengaluru/Hyderabad. Love sambhar, so versatile that it goes well even with phulka and rice. Apart from tamarind I think the Tamils put more dal and vegetables in their version, very thick compared to the sambhar one finds in Bengaluru. 

4 hours ago, Stradlater said:

I love it. Much better and healthier breakfast than the chole bhature **** which never agrees with my stomach.

Chhole bhature as a breakfast must have been common in history when people had great metabolism compared to today. Either you were a farmer and had to plough the fields requiring lots of energy, or a warrior defending your empire since most invaders cross through Punjab.

6 hours ago, Gollum said:

Love sambhar, so versatile that it goes well even with phulka and rice

Those are two different sambhars. Ones with more thick lentils veggies usually is preferred for rice and slightly thinner one prefered for dosai. In bangalore sukh sagars they have very fluidy sambhar. Real karnataka style dosai is available as well. Its dharwad benne dosa, there is a big spot in RT nagar one in RR nagar as well that i used to frequent. Benne dosa ususally served with podi or chutney.

8 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Those are two different sambhars. Ones with more thick lentils veggies usually is preferred for rice and slightly thinner one prefered for dosai. In bangalore sukh sagars they have very fluidy sambhar. Real karnataka style dosai is available as well. Its dharwad benne dosa, there is a big spot in RT nagar one in RR nagar as well that i used to frequent. Benne dosa ususally served with podi or chutney.

Yup I did notice the difference. The tiffin places serve a different sambhar compared to the Tamil run meals messes, both are bloody awesome though. I always joke that the North Indian dal dishes are failed attempts to recreate the much more superior sambhar. 

Edited by Gollum

31 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Yup I did notice the difference. The tiffin places serve a different sambhar compared to the Tamil run meals messes, both are bloody awesome though. I always joke that the North Indian dal dishes are failed attempts to recreate the much more superior sambhar. 

i like dal tadka though. makni dal. with a very good chukka roti or a romali its amazing. 

there is a place in electronic city on the main road where they serve roti and dal makni and channa i used it eat there ( its about 4-5 km from infosys), best food. If you were driving from Bangalore to south into TN you could have your break fast there. There is a kamath in ramnagara which we used to frequent a lot, when ever we drove to mysore - they serve joladau roti ( jowar) its quite a taste. 

faak...all this is making me miss food man.

Edited by Vilander

3 minutes ago, Vilander said:

i like dal tadka though. makni dal. with a very good chukka roti or a romali its amazing. 

there is a place in electronic city on the main road where they serve roti and dal makni and channa i used it eat there ( its about 4-5 km from infosys), best food. If you were driving from Bangalore to south into TN you could have your break fast there. There is a kamath in ramnagara which we used to frequent a lot, when ever we drove to mysore - they serve joladau roti ( jowar) its quite a taste. 

faak...all this is making me miss food man.

Tadka dal and Rajma dal are the only dals that can even begin to compare with Sambhar....I agree with Gollum- northie dal is mostly failed sambhar. 

11 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Sambar with  Dosa is useless. People consume it just because it is served along with. It is a TN thingy, even now remote smaller towns in Kar don't serve Sambar with Masala Dosa. Only mashed potato curry and diffetent kinds of chutney.

I prefer rava dosa. You don’t even need chutney to eat it.

Edited by gattaca

I said mine before in a long post, but I will say it again, there is zero locus standi for people who eat meat, outside of very poor countries, to give gyaan on Climate Change as an issue. For those who claim to care about the latter issue, it is the epitome of ignorance and/or cognitive dissonance to keep eating meat when one is aware of the severity of the Climate Change issue.  The meat industry is the easiest industry to tackle and reduce emissions/pollution from. I find the defenses usually made by people fallacious.  

I think the dairy, egg, and other animal agricultural industries should probably also be reduced/banned.  

6 hours ago, Tibarn said:

I said mine before in a long post, but I will say it again, there is zero locus standi for people who eat meat, outside of very poor countries, to give gyaan on Climate Change as an issue. For those who claim to care about the latter issue, it is the epitome of ignorance and/or cognitive dissonance to keep eating meat when one is aware of the severity of the Climate Change issue.  The meat industry is the easiest industry to tackle and reduce emissions/pollution from. I find the defenses usually made by people fallacious.  

I think the dairy, egg, and other animal agricultural industries should probably also be reduced/banned.  

Except it is mathematically provable/easy to prove that the best diet for the climate & land usage is an ecologically optimized omnivorous diet. it beats the hell out of a vegan or vegetarian diet. 

On 2/6/2019 at 11:59 AM, MechEng said:

Chhole bhature as a breakfast must have been common in history when people had great metabolism compared to today. Either you were a farmer and had to plough the fields requiring lots of energy, or a warrior defending your empire since most invaders cross through Punjab.

Warriors when not fighting, are getting fat sitting around just eating if they ate bhaturey. This is medieval India, where tactics and strategy were largely unknown and medieval Indians fought like total idiots with no intelligence.