Who was the most under-achieved Indian batsmen of all time?

Who was the most under-achieved Indian batsmen of all time?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the most under-achieved Indian batsmen of all time?

• Vinod Kambli
    • Sandeep Patil
    • Virendra Sehwag
    • Navjot Singh Sidhu
    • Gundappa Vishwanath
    • Khrishnamachari Shrikanth
    • V.V.S.Laxman

I have another suggestion @Harsh Thakor, Sadagopan Ramesh. One of my earliest memories was his outstanding show against Pak in 1999, very stylish and played the ball so late, great timing and shotmaking along the ground (never went aerial). Test average of 38 for an opener in that era was good and I believe he should have got a longer run, maybe till the emergence of Gambhir in mid 2000s. 

Edited by Gollum
10 hours ago, Gollum said:

I have another suggestion @Harsh Thakor, Sadagopan Ramesh. One of my earliest memories was his outstanding show against Pak in 1999, very stylish and played the ball so late, great timing and shotmaking along the ground (never went aerial). Test average of 38 for an opener in that era was good and I believe he should have got a longer run, maybe till the emergence of Gambhir in mid 2000s. 

That guy had zero percent footwork  .bande ke pair cement  me the

Edited by VT87
1 hour ago, VT87 said:

That guy had zero percent footwork  .bande ke pair cement  me the

Footwork, technique etc overrated, what footwork did Sehwag have? How was Steve Waugh against short pitch bowling? Or VVS footwork against the quicks? There are 7-8 attributes required to attain success, except few ATGs most have deficit in 1-2 departments (maybe more). Ramesh had poor footwork but played the ball so late, under his eyes, that is so difficult to master even for great batsmen. You can't fluke your way in test cricket and the level of batting he showed against Pak (that bowling unit !!!) in the 1999 tests was elite level, overshadowing SRT, Azhar, Dravid, VVS, Ganguly. He was a poor ODI batsman, obvious limitations...but in tests different story. From what I remember he was also very good against spin, handling Saqlain,MAhmed and Murali on turning tracks is no joke. 

Edited by Gollum
3 hours ago, Gollum said:

Footwork, technique etc overrated, what footwork did Sehwag have? How was Steve Waugh against short pitch bowling? Or VVS footwork against the quicks? There are 7-8 attributes required to attain success, except few ATGs most have deficit in 1-2 departments (maybe more). Ramesh had poor footwork but played the ball so late, under his eyes, that is so difficult to master even for great batsmen. You can't fluke your way in test cricket and the level of batting he showed against Pak (that bowling unit !!!) in the 1999 tests was elite level, overshadowing SRT, Azhar, Dravid, VVS, Ganguly. He was a poor ODI batsman, obvious limitations...but in tests different story. From what I remember he was also very good against spin, handling Saqlain,MAhmed and Murali on turning tracks is no joke. 

Very good and articulate answer sir.Even Gower hardly moved his feet ,or even Majid Khan.

2 hours ago, Harsh Thakor said:

No doubt a flawed genius with more talent than even Sachin.

He had ability to hit shots because of he had no fear of getting out.But I wouldn't call him more talented than Sachin. He is the best player of spin bowling I have ever seen that includes Sunil, Sachin and Lara.He had severe weaknesses against seam and swing bowling.

On 4/10/2019 at 2:56 AM, Harsh Thakor said:

Great batsmen no doubt,the best ever against great pace at his best.However in terms of sheer talent not in the class of  Sandeep,Vishy ,Viru or Laxman.Possibly he was undone by the bias of the selectors.A great man to bat for your life but not as much to win games.

Sandeep Patil did not have the technique to survive tough conditions. He had a brief period of brilliance in the erly 80s. Jimmy definitely had a longer and more lasting impact than Patil. Vishwanath and Laxman were indeed better batsmen, but they were not underrated. They had their moments of glory and people talk about them in high regard. Same with Sehwag, the best FTB I have ever seen. 

17 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Most have been already mentioned . I would add Dinesh Karthik to the list . 

Gifted with great timing , sound technique with no obvious weakness . Versatile with shots all around , dosent favour one side of the wicket . A test average of 45 was bare minimum for his talent . 

Please  watch  some 2018 eng test series  highlight     and looked  at his mode of dismissals,the way he getting  bowled out  in couple  of times in incoming delivery  speaks his sound technique. 

Edited by VT87
On 4/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, Gollum said:

Ramesh had disgustingly lazy footwork! I'll never forget how razzaq got him out with a nothing ball because he was too lazy to line it up. 

I do agree that the likes of Sachin,sehwag and even ganguly would have fared better with better fitness and conditioning but for me the most shocking decline was that of gambhir. Dude was good against pace and fantastic against spin. Also mentally one of the toughest cricketers we have ever produced. It was sad to the sudden decline of a clutch player like him for no obvious reason. 

On 4/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, Gollum said:

Ramesh did not convert the starts into big scores. Indian batsmen were expected to score big tons and doubles as well.