England vs Pakistan | 4th ODI | Trent Bridge, Nottingham | May 17, 2019 | Match thread |

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

Because as I said even if we are 200/3 after 20 we cannot reach 350. We need Rohit or Kohli to bat through till over number 47-48. Dhawan’s role is to accelerate and most times he won’t survive till 35 overs anyways no matter how he scores.

200/3 (if even possible by team India) at 20 provides a better opportunity to get to 350 than 200/3 after 35 on such surfaces! 

If Rohit wants to bat through, he should try batting at #4. As as an opener, he has failed to do that 

12 minutes ago, maniac said:

Because as I said even if we are 200/3 after 20 we cannot reach 350. We need Rohit or Kohli to bat through till over number 47-48. Dhawan’s role is to accelerate and most times he won’t survive till 35 overs anyways no matter how he scores.

Dhoni/Jadhav/KL Rahul <<<< Morgan/Stokes/Moeen/Buttler This is a simple comparison everyone should be able to grasp. 

35 minutes ago, maniac said:

Can Pandya play a knock like this? 

31 minutes ago, putrevus said:

in his dream.Pandya simply does not have this capability.

didnt he make 76 in 43 balls in Ct 2017 final, stokes made 71 in 64

so hows is stokes innings better, pandya played a much better knock only to be ended by an idiot 

In before u say coz england won, well the diff was due to other not pandya or stokes 

Our 2nd n 3rd highest scorers made - 22 n 23 and england's -114, 43......

Pandya made another 70 against aus in chennai when dhoni also made runs with him hence we made a good total, so one player cant do much. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
20 minutes ago, zen said:

With guys like Rohit and Dhoni, I get a feeling that their first priority is to get to a reasonable personal total first before they can play as per the requirements. In Rohit's case, you do not need 60 balls to get set. If you are in form, you usually continue that in the next game rather than scratching all over again. It is a combination of a lack of ability + the desire to get a reasonable total first before considering the team's requirements, which is a let down for team India

And also playing positively does not imply hitting every ball. But rotate strike, hit the bad balls away, use gaps, etc. ....  Rohit tends to block even perfectly hittable balls

Because Rohit doesn't eat balls to get himself "set".  He eats balls to "see off" the movement.  He plays extra cautiously, eating dot balls, until the ball gets old and stops moving.  Then he leans on Dhawan to carry the team run-rate.  Eventually, after everything lines up to his lordship's preferences, and his personal landmark is out of the way, then he will start attacking the bowlers.  

I can understand that he probably believes that he can "make it up" later.  And to be fair, he can make it up, if he ends up surviving and playing a long innings.  The problem is the times he doesn't which are the majority - at that point, due to his 'belief' in himself, he has pushed the team innings into a hole.  

31 minutes ago, zen said:

Not tinted at all buddy. Just supporting talented young cricketers .... Now you supported Rayudu for #4 when it was obvious....

I support the team, irrespective of who's in it.  I have no love for Ambatli, but will say this - he was a better player than his stats show for India.  But he didnt' get his chances at the right time.  He only has himself to blame for blowing the chances he belatedly got.  His fitness and fielding issues speak for themselves.

btw, none of that has anything to do with the discussion at hand of Shankar's batting abilities.  I happen to think he is decent with the bat, and its baseless to write him off, especially in ODIs.    

Edited by sandeep

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

I can understand that he probably believes that he can "make it up" later.  And to be fair, he can make it up, if he ends up surviving and playing a long innings.  The problem is the times he doesn't which are the majority - at that point, due to his 'belief' in himself, he has pushed the team innings into a hole.  

Also his "big" knocks usually come in bilaterals where he has the opportunity to "lazily" gauge the other team or minnows, who depth .... Against full-strength sides in major tourneys, he fails to adapt to challenges of adjusting to different teams. Yes, if a minnow comes along, he gets a break and will deliver 

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

I support the team, irrespective of who's in it.  I have no love for Ambatli, but will say this - he was a better player than his stats show for India.  But he didnt' get his chances at the right time.  He only has himself to blame for blowing the chances he belatedly got.  His fitness and fielding issues speak for themselves.  

True that he blew his chances, but he never looked like making an impact on a consistent basis :dontknow:  .... I like Shankar but do not trust his ability to deliver under pressure esp. when chasing

9 minutes ago, zen said:

I like Shankar but do not trust his ability to deliver under pressure esp. when chasing

That trust can only come with time - if he gets opportunities and converts them.  To his credit, he has done quite well in the limited chances he did get in NZ.   One of those was a pressure situation with a collapse, and he came in and batted quite fluently.   Deserved at least a 50, but was quite unlucky to be runout.   There is an assuredness to his batting that is encouraging to see.  Ultimately, it will be his production he should be judged on, and not how he looks, or how he makes you feel.  And he has had a nice bright start to his fledgling ODI career.  

I also think his "newness" to the circuit, works in his favor a bit, for the WC.  Teams haven't really worked out his strong and weak scoring areas - they may manage to, as the WC goes on, given the number of games.  But there's enough quality there, to be optimistic.  

2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

ON top of that he didn't appeal for a run out

He's only good at taking 1s and 2s gully cricket style, and screaming at his players and finger pointing.  Sub-par captain, Average 'keeper, sub-par batsman with less power than Rahane.  Sarfraz can swing out of his shoes and barely clear the 30 yard circle.  

Just now, sandeep said:

He's only good at taking 1s and 2s gully cricket style, and screaming at his players and finger pointing.  Sub-par captain, Average 'keeper, sub-par batsman with less power than Rahane.  Sarfraz can swing out of his shoes and barely clear the 30 yard circle.  

Only captain kohli can lose to his team lol

15 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

^ Last 4 years

Rohit 71 innings  16 centuries 15 fifties. a 50 or 100 every 2.2 innings

Kohli 69 innings 19 centuries 16 fifties a 50 or 100 every 1.9 innings

Dhawan 67 innings 8 centuries 15 fifites a 50 or 100 every 2.9 innings

What about last 12-15 months. 

Zen is being a bit harsh on him, Rohit is a legit top ODI opener, but with glaring strike rotation issues, especially in the 1st 10-15 overs.  All said and done, I wouldn't trade him for any other team's openers, except maybe England's.  

4 minutes ago, Kothili said:

Windies is the dark horse.

Windies won't come close to making semi-final.  No quality spinner.  Bowling over all lacks penetration.  Batting can blow hot, but can blow quite cold, just as easily.  Struggle against pacers who can move the ball, and struggle against top spinners.  They will huff and puff to beat teams like toygers and Afghanistan, while taking down a Pakistan/SA or Eng/Aus/Ind on a day where things go their way.