World Cup? What World Cup?

Well it's a known fact that Cricket is hardly a world sport . Only 10-12 Countries even play it regularly at the Intl level, out of which countries like Zim(has lost popularity in the past  decade), Scotland(hardly anyone follows it) Ireland(not very popular), Netherlands(same as prev) .

In countries like Australia and New Zealand, it is probably the 3rd or 4th most popular sport which says it has never really been the most popular sport there. It's mostly a summer sport. 

In SA and Windies, popularity is declining, it's still popular but to a lesser extent, it doesn't have the widespread following like in the SC. 

In England, it has considerable following by the elderly citizens of the country, while it has less popularity among the youth. The youth is mostly crazy about football. Which is why there is very less hype and build up regarding the world cup.

Which leaves the Sub-continent. Probably the only place where cricket has a considerable fan following, and hype. It is widely popular in Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka. And popularity is growing in Afghanistan and Nepal. But, I guess the major reason why it is so popular, is because the lack of talent and support for other sports(except maybe badminton in recent years). We are not that good at other sports, simply put and we don't have the infrastructure or planning to develop other sports. Which is why we follow cricket because it is the sport we excel at the most. You won't find a player like Lebron, or Federer, or Messi, or Hamilton, Rossi etc in the SC. So till we find players who are talented in other sports , Cricket will continue to be the most popular sport in the SC.

Edited by I6MTW
On 5/25/2019 at 2:18 AM, YCCC said:

British teenagers are self centred snowflake twats. More interested in technology and gaming than the real world. Bet they couldn't name the prime minister (although that is a difficult one currently :cantstop:) or what Brexit means

Now, now.  If you simply write them off instead of guiding them, can't complain about Brexitstan then.

1 hour ago, I6MTW said:

Well it's a known fact that Cricket is hardly a world sport . Only 10-12 Countries even play it regularly at the Intl level, out of which countries like Zim(has lost popularity in the past  decade), Scotland(hardly anyone follows it) Ireland(not very popular), Netherlands(same as prev) .

In countries like Australia and New Zealand, it is probably the 3rd or 4th most popular sport which says it has never really been the most popular sport there. It's mostly a summer sport. 

In SA and Windies, popularity is declining, it's still popular but to a lesser extent, it doesn't have the widespread following like in the SC. 

In England, it has considerable following by the elderly citizens of the country, while it has less popularity among the youth. The youth is mostly crazy about football. Which is why there is very less hype and build up regarding the world cup.

Which leaves the Sub-continent. Probably the only place where cricket has a considerable fan following, and hype. It is widely popular in Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka. And popularity is growing in Afghanistan and Nepal. But, I guess the major reason why it is so popular, is because the lack of talent and support for other sports(except maybe badminton in recent years). We are not that good at other sports, simply put and we don't have the infrastructure or planning to develop other sports. Which is why we follow cricket because it is the sport we excel at the most. You won't find a player like Lebron, or Federer, or Messi, or Hamilton, Rossi etc in the SC. So till we find players who are talented in other sports , Cricket will continue to be the most popular sport in the SC.

Scotland ( hardly anyone follows it) ?? 

Like to explain why at my club league game there will be a lot more supporters than will watch most Ranji Trophy games ?

5 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Scotland ( hardly anyone follows it) ?? 

Like to explain why at my club league game there will be a lot more supporters than will watch most Ranji Trophy games ?

I'm basing this on the articles I read on the internet. But, how many of the supporters at your local club games are actual Scottish people and not immigrants and expats?

Anyway, the rest of the points still stands true for the most part.

Just now, I6MTW said:

I'm basing this on the articles I read on the internet. But, how many of the supporters at your local club games are actual Scottish people and not immigrants and expats?

Anyway, the rest of the points still stands true for the most part.

Every single one of them !! 

It's a myth that cricket in UK is only played and watched  by Asian immigrants and expats nothing could be further from the truth .

In all my years playing only one immigrant ever turned up at my club , a Pakistani and he was shite .

We had Indian test player and Ranji Trophy players playing in my team but not one single Asian person came to watch them over the years they played .

This generation are first to integrate themselves in Scottish cricket in a small way , one player of Asian descent plays for Scottish team and he was born in this country 

4 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Every single one of them !! 

It's a myth that cricket in UK is only played and watched  by Asian immigrants and expats nothing could be further from the truth .

In all my years playing only one immigrant ever turned up at my club , a Pakistani and he was shite .

We had Indian test player and Ranji Trophy players playing in my team but not one single Asian person came to watch them over the years they played .

This generation are first to integrate themselves in Scottish cricket in a small way , one player of Asian descent plays for Scottish team and he was born in this country 

How is the following for Scottish team matches then? How many people turn up for ODIs and T20s? What about the media coverage and hype for a series? 

1 minute ago, I6MTW said:

How is the following for Scottish team matches then? How many people turn up for ODIs and T20s? What about the media coverage and hype for a series? 

For home internationals it is full houses , 

What you have to understand in India is  Scotland , England and Ireland is it is Clubs that is the cricket lifeline . With those clubs comes membership of people devoted and interested in that club . 

It has been said in here about attendances at test grounds , well a large number are from clubs who say 2 -10 from a club pick a ground and game to watch . 

In Scotland watching a T20 or ODI virtually everyone in the crowd will be members of a cricket club or an ex player . 

When football is your national sport and every young boy and girl is interested in that the media devotes pages and pages to football but cricket as the Scotland gets better and better it gets more coverage . 

What is missing from that article of one school is 

1) how many if you play football 

2) how many of you play cricket 

3) is there school football teams ( definitely there will be ) 

4) is there school cricket teams ( most definitely not because cricket not played in 90% schools )