Westindies A vs India A in westindies : July -August 2019 : 5 Un -Official ODI & 3 Un-Official Tests

6 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

I think he's batting too low for India A and not getting solid chances..

Last year he got chance to open the inning ahead of Gill,but was clueless against Australia-A bowlers.So far in all A tours he has failed to make an impression.Even in this series he came bat twice at around 25th over but could not capitalise.His range of shots is limited as he often tries to pull balls meant to be played on off side or with straight bat.

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

But gill played in MO on NZ tour. He can bat both positions.

Does he want to though? He has said before that he prefers opening the innings. Even in for KKR, he started doing a lot better when he was moved from the middle order to the opening slot.

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

He has all gears for MO position which Pandey, even Iyer don't have.

Iyer was the highest six-hitter in both the Vijay Hazare and Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 tournaments last year. He is certainly capable of it, with the potential to get better. Whether he can reproduce it on the international stage is the question.

1 hour ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Does he want to though? He has said before that he prefers opening the innings. Even in for KKR, he started doing a lot better when he was moved from the middle order to the opening slot.

Iyer was the highest six-hitter in both the Vijay Hazare and Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 tournaments last year. He is certainly capable of it, with the potential to get better. Whether he can reproduce it on the international stage is the question.

Gill was batting at 6-7 for KKR which is not his position.  He batted at 3 for India U19.  and i do not think he has the technique for an opener.

How I now wish Shastri and Kohli, who played for India as 18-19 yr olds, had got no support from then Indian selectors. These shameless fellows have absolutely no eye for supporting bright young talents while having faith in older tried and tested failures. Maybe they believe the oldies are more insecure and hence easier to manipulate than the younger ones.

Yesterday, the team was selected for the WI series. I'm disappointed not to see Gill's name in the squad even though he performed superbly in the India A series. Dear selectors, he is the future and most importantly he can anywhere. Please provide ample opportunities for him. Im sure that he can fill your 4th place 

On 7/22/2019 at 12:06 AM, Sandeep99 said:

How the heck can this guy be left out? He clearly looks the best of all the 22 players on the field. His timing is exceptional and intent is next level. Either Indian selectors are blind or there is indeed something very wrong with the system.

Shreyas Iyer doesn't look half as convincing as Gaekwad, let alone Gill. Kohli can fill the entire team with his cronies like Jadhav, Karthik, Rahul but please, for the love of your country, play Gill. He will win you matches!

That's precisely why they don't want him in the squad :hehe:.

30 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

They are openers. Pandey is a MO bat.

Who cares? It is all about giving exposure to the youngster against lightweight opposition. What is the point of giving chance to Manish Pandey who was not even part of world cup squad?  If he doesn't get to bat. good no issue. If he gets to bat it will be a good exposure. If every talent in India is a top order it doesn't mean we have to back crappy guys just because they bat in the middle order.

4 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Who cares? It is all about giving exposure to the youngster against lightweight opposition. What is the point of giving chance to Manish Pandey who was not even part of world cup squad?  If he doesn't get to bat. good no issue. If he gets to bat it will be a good exposure. If every talent in India is a top order it doesn't mean we have to back crappy guys just because they bat in the middle order.

Pandey will bat in MO.  how can you pick openers for middle order? we are struggling with middle order batsmen at this point, not openers.  Gill must start batting in middle order for India A and Punjab if he wants that chance in MO.  Runs scored as opener wont help him being selected for MO spot.

Edited by rkt.india
3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Pandey will bat in MO.  how can you pick openers for middle order? we are struggling with middle order batsmen at this point, not openers.  Gill must start batting in middle order for India A and Punjab if he wants that chance in MO.  Runs scored as opener wont help him being selected for MO spot. 

I don't know about punjab, but in Ind A the choice is made by capn and coach. hence, it's hardly gill's fault if he is opening. it shows, once again, short-sighted and muddled planning by TM (possibly including dravid).

7 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I don't know about punjab, but in Ind A the choice is made by capn and coach. hence, it's hardly gill's fault if he is opening. it shows, once again, short-sighted and muddled planning by TM (possibly including dravid).

or maybe Gill does not want to bat in MO.

39 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

or maybe Gill does not want to bat in MO.

in that case, he will have to compete with shaw, mayank, KLR (maybe even easwaran, panchal, dhawan and vijay) in tests and with rohit, dhawan, KLR (maybe even mayank, shaw and gaekwad). strange choice.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:56 PM, rkt.india said:

Gill was batting at 6-7 for KKR which is not his position.  He batted at 3 for India U19.  and i do not think he has the technique for an opener.

He has opened for Punjab, India 'A' and KKR. Don't think him saying he wants to open and then opening for all these teams is a conicidence. He might not get a chance to bat at No. 3 (though I wouldn't be against Kohli dropping down to 4 to accomodate him). I don't think Shubman Gill right now is the No. 4 we need. A No. 4 needs to have the big hitting game and Gill needs years of development before he can get there. His innings in the 5th ODI against West Indies 'A' is an anomaly and his List 'A' strike rate of less than 90 proves that.

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

why can't putiya chokeli move to 4th and gill can play at 3... more over if they are so concerned about mo why are the top3 even playing. coz you know these 3 will boost their avg and consume most of the overs . And I believe new player can move to any position and gill can play at 4 as it still require sensible ones and twos on that position. Even in past sehwag and few others have played at different position than what they used to play in domestic.

36 minutes ago, raki05 said:

why can't putiya chokeli move to 4th and gill can play at 3... more over if they are so concerned about mo why are the top3 even playing. coz you know these 3 will boost their avg and consume most of the overs . And I believe new player can move to any position and gill can play at 4 as it still require sensible ones and twos on that position. Even in past sehwag and few others have played at different position than what they used to play in domestic.

top are the easiest position to bat in LOIs.  it is easier for a MO batsman like SRT, ganguly, Sehwag to move to opening than an opener moving to MO.  It has happened but very rarely like Michael Hussey who was predominantly an opener but succeeded at 5-6 as well.  For Gill to claim for MO, he must bat in MO for India A and Punjab. or Kohli needs to move down to 4 which i do not see happening.

9 hours ago, rkt.india said:

They are openers. Pandey is a MO bat.

FFS Rohit Sharma is a middle order batsman. Why do they want him to open? Rahul is an opener. Why was he selected to play at #4? We need to see talent and reward them. Good players often adjust. Rat doesn't want other superstars in the team to challenge his hegemony. The fcker is keen on destroying Indian cricket.