2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics buildup

Gollum

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Hopefull we win 2 gold medals to make it to the top 50 :giggle: I don't think we have ever been there

Edit: we have been in top 30 when we won gold in hockey back in 1980

1980 moscow olympics was marred by several withdrawals.. I would take the hockey result in 1980 with a pinch of salt

4 minutes ago, diga said:

1980 moscow olympics was marred by several withdrawals.. I would take the hockey result in 1980 with a pinch of salt

48, 52, 56, 64 are other times we finished in the 20s. I know about 80 but a win is a win. another factoid is that Britain didnt participate in the olympics hockey before 48 because India was too strong for Britain and a thrashing would look bad for politics as the colony had a better team than them. These were the days of anglo superiority and they would fear losing to an Indian team. 48 was at England and they didnt want to look like cowards and played India. India thrashed England in the final by 4-0 :lol:

On the one hand, India were considered to be a superior team. On the other hand, look at this piece of whining and excuses

First of all, the four British nations were independently affiliated with the international federation FIH and were not very keen on cooperating. Also, there were no hockey grounds to train on, as these were used by cricketers during the summer. Still, they managed to put together a team, the first real British hockey team at the Olympics (the 1908 and 1920 champions had been composed entirely of English players). Their captain was the versatile Norman Borrett, a first-class cricketer and national squash champion who once qualified for Wimbledon but didn't have time to compete.

The semi-finals were close, and British observers considered the Indians to be lucky to get away with a 2-1 win against the Dutch.

:facepalm:Yeah a 3 time defending champion got "lucky" :no:Makes the thrashing all the more sweeter

30 minutes ago, diga said:

Pak would have easily won had they participated, one of the greatest teams to take the field (1978-84 period).

78 and 82 WC gold

84 Olympics gold

Couple of Champions Trophy wins

Asia Cup, Asian Games no need to even get there (1982 Asian Games F in New Delhi with PM Indira Gandhi in attendance was our version of Mineirazo, after the 1-7 massacre our players were crying on the field)

Indo-Pak rivalry was so lopsided, worse than our 90s cricket beatings, will take 2 decades of bilateral hockey series to reverse that trauma

They didn't just win tournaments, they crushed the competition, often sealing the deal in first half, sometimes drawing or losing due to sheer boredom, they were that brilliant. 

Pity Pakistanis never respect their hockey greats whilst making demigods out of ball tamperers and fixers. Imran Khan is their PM while members of that legendary hockey team are all but forgotten. At least our glory days in hockey were 60-70 years back, not many survivors, in case of Pak their fathers and uncles saw the domination yet preferred overrated, dishonest cricketers. 

Edited by Gollum

9 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Pak would have easily won had they participated, one of the greatest teams to take the field (1978-84 period).

78 and 82 WC gold

84 Olympics gold

Couple of Champions Trophy wins

Asia Cup, Asian Games no need to even get there (1982 Asian Games F in New Delhi with PM Indira Gandhi in attendance was our version of Mineirazo, after the 1-7 massacre our players were crying on the field)

Indo-Pak rivalry was so lopsided, worse than our 90s cricket beatings, will take 2 decades of bilateral hockey series to reverse that trauma

They didn't just win tournaments, they crushed the competition, often sealing the deal in first half, sometimes drawing or losing due to sheer boredom, they were that brilliant. 

Pity Pakistanis never respect their hockey greats whilst making demigods out of ball tamperers and fixers. Imran Khan is their PM while members of that legendary hockey team are all but forgotten. At least our glory days in hockey were 60-70 years back, not many survivors, in case of Pak their fathers and uncles saw the domination yet preferred overrated, dishonest cricketers. 

Pak took over hockey in the 70s. Before that we were winning. India has the most olympic golds and only 1 of the golden generation went to Pak after separation. So technically we have won 8 gold in hockey alone. India also crushed the competition back then. Hockey WC started in the 70s. So obviously they would have more victories since their golden period started in the 70s.

You have a masochistic thing going on man. That's why you talk about trauma. Imagine India giving others trauma from 28 till 64. So much that Britain stopped playing from 28 for fear of losing their superiority status. So pak were good from 70s. big deal. stop crying :dontknow: At least we played them like men and not wearing skirts and stay home like the british did.

29 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Pak took over hockey in the 70s. Before that we were winning. India has the most olympic golds and only 1 of the golden generation went to Pak after separation. So technically we have won 8 gold in hockey alone. India also crushed the competition back then. Hockey WC started in the 70s. So obviously they would have more victories since their golden period started in the 70s.

You have a masochistic thing going on man. That's why you talk about trauma. Imagine India giving others trauma from 28 till 64. So much that Britain stopped playing from 28 for fear of losing their superiority status. So pak were good from 70s. big deal. stop crying :dontknow: At least we played them like men and not wearing skirts and stay home like the british did.

So appreciating a sports team in Pakistan means trauma, masochism, crying etc?

You have no idea how good that Pak hockey team was, probably because you have never followed the sport and its history seriously. You can't compare competition of 30s, 40s, 50s with post-70s, whether it be cricket or hockey. No comparison. And post-70s had astroturf which negates much of strengths of Asian sides, double the challenge. 

Edited by Gollum

15 minutes ago, Gollum said:

So appreciating a sports team in Pakistan means trauma, masochism, crying etc?

You have no idea how good that Pak team was in hockey, probably because you have never followed the sport. You can't compare competition of 30s, 40s, 50s with post-70s, whether it be cricket or hockey. No comparison. And post-70s had astroturf which negates much of strengths of Asian sides, double the challenge. 

I'm only giving our olympic history not pakistan's hockey. Look pal even you have not followed the sport in full. Don't tell me how good pak team was because I know it was. yes they had a golden period of their own no doubt. I only followed it in the 90s and Indian hockey was in dire straits. And pakistani hockey while better than ours in the late 90s and 00s also started to decline around that point. That's when Netherlands, Germany, Australia, Spain started to dominate with astro turf.

This is thread on tokyo olympics. If you want to talk about Pakistani hockey team, please create a separate thread.

5 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I'm only giving our olympic history not pakistan's hockey. Look pal even you have not followed the sport in full. Don't tell me how good pak team was because I know it was. yes they had a golden period of their own no doubt. I only followed it in the 90s and Indian hockey was in dire straits. And pakistani hockey while better than ours in the late 90s and 00s also started to decline around that point. That's when Netherlands, Germany, Australia, Spain started to dominate with astro turf.

This is thread on tokyo olympics. If you want to talk about Pakistani hockey team, please create a separate thread.

My initial response was to diga about the 1980 Games, withdrawal, pinch of salt and all that. Most of the posts in first 6 pages are by me and all are about Tokyo Games. I wasn't the one who started digressing. 

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

My initial response was to diga about the 1980 Games, withdrawal, pinch of salt and all that. Most of the posts in first 6 pages are by me and all are about Tokyo Games. I wasn't the one who started digressing. 

I didn't mention pakistan at all. its ok. lets leave it and focus on our performace in tokyo

Anyway I think we can close this thread and switch focus to the one in Cricket Talk by @maniac since there is much more activity over there. 

I don't want to divide my posts/time between these 2 threads or repeat the same stuff in 2 places, meaningless activities IMO, I am sure others feel the same way. Let us have all content, updates, analysis on one thread, easier to follow that way. This thread served its purpose as a buildup one, most of the posts here are about preview, medal chances, Olympics qualification etc.

Request @Trichromatic @G_B_ to lock this thread and/or unpin it so that we can all use the Cricket Talk thread as the official thread for Tokyo 2020. 

Edited by Gollum

A country which only plays one sport is yet to produce a 90mph bowler. It's disappointing to see so many post taking dig at our Olympians when so many had to sell medals to survive. 

We won a medal on opening day, for Gods sake if you are so miserable that cant enjoy the day then least you can do is not post anything negative.

I am proud of chanu , absolutely unbelievable

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Anyway I think we can close this thread and switch focus to the one in Cricket Talk by @maniac since there is much more activity over there. 

I don't want to divide my posts/time between these 2 threads or repeat the same stuff in 2 places, meaningless activities IMO, I am sure others feel the same way. Let us have all content, updates, analysis on one thread, easier to follow that way. This thread served its purpose as a buildup one, most of the posts here are about preview, medal chances, Olympics qualification etc.

Request @Trichromatic @G_B_ to lock this thread and/or unpin it so that we can all use the Cricket Talk thread as the official thread for Tokyo 2020. 

Why not merge both threads?