Shubman Gill needs to be tried in test matches and ODIs

8 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

You don't need to watch them in real situations. Even when you watch Gill/Shaw/Agarwal in the nets you can clearly tell Gill is in a different class. Why was he not given a chance ahead of these guys in NZ, despite him getting good tour matches in NZ.

This is an aspect which is happening a bit too often.

Players who look like obvious  superior talents are made to warm the bench ... and average players are getting picked.

16 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Players who look like obvious  superior talents are made to warm the bench ... and average players are getting picked.

Observations from Dinesh Karthik, Virat Kohli confirmed this as well. So basically they have  needlessly delayed his entry. Who knows . Gill might have turned the series around in NZ.  

44 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Everyone knows why that happens. Someone does not want anyone else to be superstar. He stays the only  star...gets most brands and stays the captain with no one else in contention for his place.

Just now, express bowling said:

Gill needs to replace Dhawan as an opener in ODIs.

It is high time we give this amazing talent a secured place in ODIs too. 

I prefer him in middle , he brings nothing new to top order in terms of firepower that we need....bats at same pace as kohli n rohit infact lesser

Need a lefty or someone like shaw in full form 

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

I prefer him in middle , he brings nothing new to top order in terms of firepower that we need....bats at same pace as kohli n rohit infact lesser

Need a lefty or someone like shaw in full form 

Gill has this ability to bat at 100 SR  without taking any risks when the fielders are in. Saw it today too. 

I want to utilize this in ODIs. ( while 100 SR is not enough in T20s and he should not be played in T20Is as of now )

Just now, express bowling said:

Gill has this ability to bat at 100 SR  without taking any risks when the fielders are in. Saw it today too. 

I want to utilize this in ODIs. ( while 100 SR is not enough in T20s and he should not be played in T20Is as of now )

its just not about ending at 100 s/r....its also about how u start gill has been a slow starter and player generally slow down from t20s when they play t20 . Gill like those 2 also start slow....we need someone who compliments rohit, ill say give pant a shot ...top 3 is best place to bat in LOI . We also need mix of right and left , I dnt see gill batting like roy day in day out thats not his game. 

As far LOI is concerned more then gill team shud find ways to fit pant n jadeja in better batting slots . 

8 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

its just not about ending at 100 s/r....its also about how u start gill has been a slow starter and player generally slow down from t20s when they play t20 . Gill like those 2 also start slow....we need someone who compliments rohit, ill say give pant a shot ...top 3 is best place to bat in LOI . We also need mix of right and left , I dnt see gill batting like roy day in day out thats not his game. 

I did not talk about ending with a 100 SR ... which is why I said when fielders are in.

Gill is a very fast starter in tests and ODIs. Starts with a 100 SR without taking any risks.

T20s is a different format which ideally requires slogging or improvising from the start. Which Gill is bad at. 

Opening in ODIs and opening in T20s is a completely different thing and we should not judge one based on another. ( Think about Dhawan ... good as an ODI opener ... poor as a T20 opener )

8 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

As far LOI is concerned more then gill team shud find ways to fit pant n jadeja in better batting slots . 

ODIs ... 

1. Rohit

2. Gill

3. Kohli

4. Rahul

5. Jadeja / Pant

6. Hardik

7. Pant / Jadeja

Pant can come at 5 if the 3rd wicket falls after over 40

Jadeja can come at 5 if the 3rd wicket falls before that.

14 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Agreed I think both Rohit & Gill are slow starters so inns may go nowhere.  Brings nothing new to the table.  But can be a upgrade over Iyer or Kohli can move to 4 & Gill at 3.  T20 is not his style & neither he should focus on them.  Kishan SKY Pant are all better suited than him

15 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I did not talk about ending with a 100 SR ... which is why I said when fielders are in.

Gill is a very fast starter in tests and ODIs. Starts with a 100 SR without taking any risks.

the ODI he played his s/r is 69 (chalo small sample size but add IPL not much evidence). Last ODI he played he batted at 84 

He is no rohit who can go bonkers in end...neither is his batting developed to a level of dhawan n kohli . 

In ipl he got found out when it was about scoring quick

Test is diff even jaddu scores quickly many times but its 4-5 is considered quick in test whereas in ODI now u ahve to be around 6.5

T20s is a different format which ideally requires slogging or improvising from the start. Which Gill is bad at. 

not really some players have that extra gear like finch, roy, shaw , pant u need that sought of player. 

Im more intersted in Devdutt for future then gill for opening , gill plays spin damn well so he shud be in middle specially kohli n rahul seems have developed a chink against leggies 

Opening in ODIs and opening in T20s is a completely different thing and we should not judge one based on another. ( Think about Dhawan ... good as an ODI opener ... poor as a T20 opener )

ODIs ... 

1. Rohit

2. Gill

3. Kohli

4. Rahul

5. Jadeja / Pant

6. Hardik

7. Pant / Jadeja

Pant can come at 5 if the 3rd wicket falls after over 40

Jadeja can come at 5 if the 3rd wicket falls before that.

Its high time have a good mix n match of righty n leftie

so for ODI ill go with

1. Pant (lets try , he is to good a player to not play LOI )
  2. Rohit
  3. Kohli 
  4. Jadeja (lets not waste him at 7 where he isnt comfortable)
  5. Rahul
  6. Pandya
  7. As of now Tewatia ( coz we still need a 6th bowler)

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
17 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Agreed I think both Rohit & Gill are slow starters so inns may go nowhere.  Brings nothing new to the table.  But can be a upgrade over Iyer or Kohli can move to 4 & Gill at 3.  T20 is not his style & neither he should focus on them.  Kishan SKY Pant are all better suited than him

he is a massive upgrade on iyer, infact upgrade isnt the right word....miles better batsman 

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Very important point.

Pant was handled very very badly during his failures.

Hope it does not happen with Gill.

Pant's derailing was almost deliberate to ensure Dhoni gets to the play the then 2020 T20 WC (was planned for Oct 2020). 

Whereas with Gill, because he will compete with Rohit for the Test opener's role, Kohli will most likely not give him the same treatment as he gave to Pant. That is IF Kohli remains the captain in the near future.

24 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

the ODI he played his s/r is 69 (chalo small sample size but add IPL not much evidence). Last ODI he played he batted at 84 

He is no rohit who can go bonkers in end...neither is his batting developed to a level of dhawan n kohli . 

In ipl he got found out when it was about scoring quick

Test is diff even jaddu scores quickly many times but its 4-5 is considered quick in test whereas in ODI now u ahve to be around 6.5

I think you know it as well as I do that stats from the first 3 matches in one's career carry little meaning.

And young rookies don't have fully developed games. It took some time to develop the the Kohlis and Rohits of today.

With no WC round the corner, now is the time to develop rookies. Dhawan won't be there in WC 2023 and even Rohit may lose fitness and form. 

not really some players have that extra gear like finch, roy, shaw , pant u need that sought of player. 

Im more intersted in Devdutt for future then gill for opening , gill plays spin damn well so he shud be in middle specially kohli n rahul seems have developed a chink against leggies 

Devdutt does not play that fast at the start either. And neither is he on the cusp of a national team cap 

Extra gears often come after a couple of seasons for the more classic players. We need to give him time 

Its high time have a good mix n match of righty n leftie

so for ODI ill go with

1. Pant (lets try , he is to good a player to not play LOI )
  2. Rohit
  3. Kohli 
  4. Jadeja (lets not waste him at 7 where he isnt comfortable)
  5. Rahul
  6. Pandya
  7. As of now Tewatia ( coz we still need a 6th bowler)

I don't think a team like India will play Jaddu at 4. We are not that experimental.

Pant at 1 and Gill at 4 can be tried too. But I think Gill at 1 will reap much better rewards in 2023 ... when Rohit may not be fit to play 

53 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Gill won't be a slow starter in ODIs.

He is not good enough for T20Is.