Your favorite and least favorite format?

Gollum

MCQ  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite format

2. 2. Least favorite

3. 3. Was it always like this?

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Don’t know man, good for you if you liked it .

the tournament was waaaay too long, there were too many washouts, most teams were playing dead rubbers 2/3rds  way through.

Fault with tournament structure then, not the format. 

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Please don’t say they had these ridiculous statistical chances, pretty much a little over half way through we knew who were going to make it. I lost interest. 

Again, nothing to do with format.

But till final stretch we didn't know who was going to make it to SF...NZ, Eng, Pak were competing for final 2 spots making many encounters must win. 

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Except the 2nd innings of both teams don't start afresh....For instance if Ind is 140/3 after Q1, we will begin Q3 at 140/3 and not 0/0. Adds more strategic depth to the game IMO, how teams should go about their innings....wickets vs RPO, changing conditions etc. 

I am ok with that.

Provided the 10 over limit per bowler can be used any which way the bowling team likes ... and there is no innings based restriction.

Bowlers bowling normal length spells and having the opportunity to set up batsmen ... is one of the better features of ODIs compared to T20s.

The other one being the need to build their innings by batsmen coming in before the 35th over.  Just sloggers do not suffice.

Edited by express bowling

ICC should do a proper quadrangular among India england australia and NZ in ODI format then everyone can see how good the format is. Bi-laterals are absolutely killing the ODI format. There's simply no pressure of scoring points or having to qualify for the final and actually win a final in a bi-lateral.

This could be like what the year end championships in Tennis represents for cricket.

Edited by Stan AF
2 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

ICC should do a proper quadrangular among India england australia and NZ in ODI format then everyone can see how good the format is. Bi-laterals are absolutely killing the ODI format. There's simply no pressure of scoring points or having to qualify for the final and actually win a final in a bi-lateral.

This could be like what the year end championships in Tennis represents for cricket.

Exactly  !

The way I see it the top 4 teams have the money/infrastructure/pool of players/coaching and actually care about all three formats more or less. Ind/Eng/Aus & NZ. Thats why most of the semi-finalists in recent events are from these teams.

The other teams barring these top 4 mainly concentrate on T20s first, ODIs next and Tests are at last. T20s because they generate the most revenue followed by ODI's and I believe most smaller teams have more or less given up on test cricket as it is simply not lucrative anymore.

22 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Brilliant idea, that could reinvigorate the format, if prize money is decent all teams will be motivated to qualify for year ending championship...quality of bilaterals will see an improvement as a result. Because of packed schedule maybe make it a biennial affair, similar concept as WTC but with 4 qualifiers to the final event which should be double round robin and best of 3 finals. 

Edited by Gollum
23 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

ICC should do a proper quadrangular among India england australia and NZ in ODI format then everyone can see how good the format is. Bi-laterals are absolutely killing the ODI format.

yup and it can be held every year in diff host nation like one year india can host, next eng, next aus

Cricket needs events these days - IPL, Wc, CT , t20 WC or series between equally matched sides

Also teams like India while playing against SL, BANG shud give chance to youngster so the series can become competitive 

5 hours ago, express bowling said:

Tri-series or Quadri-series, like we had from the 1980s to the 2000s,  can resurrect ODIs.

They were great fun to watch.

this ..... we need multi national tournaments with more or less equal bat-ball conducive  conditions  with scoring patterns in the range 220-260  to make ODIs really interesting.  3 match  Bilaterals   vs  SENA countries abroad  with more or less equal bat-ball conducive  conditions  with scoring patterns in the range 220-260 too  are worth watching. It is these  high scoring  5-7 match series   vs lower ranked teams that are killing ODIs.

I think multi national series  involving SENA countries can help our batsmen especially Kohli in coping with the pressure of dealing with world cup knock out matches too , moving forward

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Brilliant idea, that could reinvigorate the format, if prize money is decent all teams will be motivated to qualify for year ending championship...quality of bilaterals will see an improvement as a result. Because of packed schedule maybe make it a biennial affair, similar concept as WTC but with 4 qualifiers to the final event which should be double round robin and best of 3 finals. 

I'd love nothing more than that.

And on top of that I'd incorporate @Ankit_sharma03 bro's idea of shifting the venue every time so that no team gets an unfair advantage.

22 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

I'd love nothing more than that.

And on top of that I'd incorporate @Ankit_sharma03 bro's idea of shifting the venue every time so that no team gets an unfair advantage.

And we can have tri series with these weak teams rest of the year like Ind-WI-SA or Aus-Sa-PAK or ENG, WI, BANG (if played in bang condition it ll be fun as england might not be as strong). I think why teams are not pref tri series becoz of that game where host nation isnt playing so they expect poor number from crowd but that can be played in a place where a rare international game happen.....anyways we just had a WI- afghan series

What ll make it fun is the outcome will be decided on final and any team can win on any given day, knowing indian team we will choke in many . That choking will have 2 advantage - Indian team will get use to such situation and India is a big team and a big team loosing is what everyone enjoys apart from host nation....most wanna see an underdog story . 

7 hours ago, Gollum said:

What about the 4th question? 

are you in favor of another format in the future, like T10 or 4 day cricket? 

Talking about internationals mainly.....

No. Off late there has been excessive experimentation with formats. A 20 over game itself tests only a limited no of facets of a team. While the format has somewhat revitalised the skill set for ODIs and pulled in the crowds , it will always remain a relatively frivolous format compared to tests or Odis. T10 is even worse. This is like gully cricket after school hours where we would decide the no of overs based on the time left before it turns dark. What next? T5? T2?

15 hours ago, express bowling said:

The worst type of cricket is a bilateral ODI or T20I series between a strong and a weak side ... with the strong side playing a full strength or near full strength team.

It becomes even more pathetic when it is a long series and the best batsmen of the strong side bat in the top 3.

HAHA  . Said so much without naming anyone ! Good one .

Edited by prudent_kreeda
17 hours ago, express bowling said:

The worst type of cricket is a bilateral ODI or T20I series between a strong and a weak side ... with the strong side playing a full strength or near full strength team.

It becomes even more pathetic when it is a long series and the best batsmen of the strong side bat in the top 3.

If Virat read this he might exhort BCCI to ban you from watching cricket