Who was the most lethal of the express pace fast bowlers and not just genuine pace?

Who was the most lethal of the express pace fast bowlers and not just genuine pace?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the most lethal of the express pace fast bowlers and not just genuine pace?

• Sylvester Clarke
    • Michael Holding
    • Mitchelle Johnson
    • Alan Donald
    • Waqar Younus
    • Shoaib Akhtar
    • Shane Bond
    • Patrick Paterson
    • Jeff Thomson
    • Harold Laarwood
    • Dale Steyn
    • Mitchelle Stark
    • Shaun Tait
    • Brett Lee
    • Andy Roberts

2 hours ago, Suhaan said:

India's tour to SA in 96 had Srinath as the fastest from both sides, surprisingly Lance Klusener was the second fastest bowler who reached peak of 154k in that series

Srinath was vicious with his speed,even through naked eye one could guage his speeds,he bowled his heart out in that series  ,i think he bowled 156-157k in that series,there was an article about that

Srinath ? thats a news to me, and  I'm sure to many. 

2 hours ago, maniac said:

@express bowling bhai If you pigeon hole freak  bowlers like Akthar and Lee or even guys like Tait, you will never find anyone express.

A guy bowling 145- 150s on an average with skills is an express bowler in my book. I would rate Donald as faster and dangerous than say someone one dimensional like Tait 

ICF has mythologized Srinath too much ever since we started having a competitive fast bowling attack. This is like Pakistanis denying Bin Laden being found in Abbottabad.

13 minutes ago, MechEng said:

ICF has mythologized Srinath too much ever since we started having a competitive fast bowling attack. This is like Pakistanis denying Bin Laden being found in Abbottabad.

Srinath was definitely super quick in the SA tour. That was his prime and also helped that for the first time he had somewhat of a capable support in Prasad.

As I said it’s on record from guys like Cullinan and Cronje who were one of the finest players of fast bowling. That’s high praise. 

However yes he had a lots of ups and down and he wasn’t that quick consistently.   Similar to Ishant in a way that in some phases he was as quick as anyone especially when motivated and under the right circumstances but then suddenly next series he is in 135 range. 

Ishant for example was faster or as fast as Mj and Starc in that 2011 series but then next series he was struggling to hit 135s. Srinath had these phases as well.

2 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Yes, thats what commentators and experts and cricket fraternity used to say around 92-97ish. Then again, the cricketing fraternity also used to call Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram express fast around 99-2000 season when they were comfortably bowling sub 137

So in that time frame are you telling me there were bowlers quicker than Donald?

Please don’t say Srinath. He had a brief peak in mid 96-99 and then again found his mojo in the 2000s towards the end when he finally figured out fast bowling. He wasn’t quick but he was a very smart bowler and didn’t lose much pace even though wasn’t as fast as he was in his prime.

Devon Malcolm and Patrick Patterson might have had an odd series here or there against fellow white teams which makes them hype them to the moon. In fact I remember pat Patterson for the funny action and  he seemed to have scared a few poms that’s about it. I was too young to remember his career.

Devon Malcolm well I never saw him bowl quick. I can’t give him the benefit of doubt like say Malcolm Marshall who was a trundler by the time I started following cricket in 92 because he was at the end of his career.

Ambrose had great line and length and bounce at 135-140 clicks. He was never express. He was probably a little quicker and taller version of Mcgrath.

4 hours ago, maniac said:

Srinath was definitely super quick in the SA tour. That was his prime and also helped that for the first time he had somewhat of a capable support in Prasad.

As I said it’s on record from guys like Cullinan and Cronje who were one of the finest players of fast bowling. That’s high praise. 

However yes he had a lots of ups and down and he wasn’t that quick consistently.   Similar to Ishant in a way that in some phases he was as quick as anyone especially when motivated and under the right circumstances but then suddenly next series he is in 135 range. 

Ishant for example was faster or as fast as Mj and Starc in that 2011 series but then next series he was struggling to hit 135s. Srinath had these phases as well.

All pacers had ups and downs in bowling speeds till the 2000s decade.  Improved strength and conditioning training and regular use of speed guns are what brought about consistently quick spells.

Ishant's case is a bit different as his decrease in speeds were often due to him trying to change what he was doing or trying to emulate another pacer and losing his rhythm and developing issues with his ball release as a result.

5 hours ago, First class said:

Srinath ? thats a news to me, and  I'm sure to many. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javagal_Srinath

Srinath was clocked at 157 kilometres per hour (98 mph) on 27 January 1997 in a game at Paarl between India and Zimbabwe: "We then moved on to our second game against India, at Boland Bank Park. In all 236 was quite a decent score, as it wasn't the easiest of pitches to bat on, and Srinath I think, bowled the quickest than any of our guys had ever seen. He bowled a really quick spell early on, even quicker than Allan Donald; he was timed at 157 km/h, a good 10 km/h faster than Donald was bowling throughout the tournament. Grant Flower was hit on the thigh pad, and when he came off he said he thought he had broken his leg".[6] Campbell faced Lance Klusener and Alan Donald at their peak, and found Srinath to be quicker. He and Grant Flower had also faced Waqar Younis at his peak, and Wasim Akram and the Pakistani fast bowlers before that. 

In an interview, 1992 World Cup-winning Pakistan captain Imran Khan said that after watching Srinath bowl 150 kilometres per hour (93 mph) on Indian pitches he considered him the most underrated bowler in the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23189063/one-billion%3fplatform=amp

Between December '96 and February '97 Srinath's speeds were timed in excess of 150kph and were comparable to those of both Allan Donald and South Africa's 'new' pace sensation Lance Klusener. Whilst Klusener's fastest ball came in at 154kph and he proved at the time to be faster than Donald, it has been brought to my attention on numerous occasions that Srinath pipped them both with one particular delivery measured at 156kph. 

Srinath was a genuinely fast bowler and in the period between about 1995 and March 1997 Srinath's pace was at times frightening. He was right up there with the fastest men in the game. Perhaps at times Srinath was even No 1 in the pace stakes but just how fast he was at his peak we will never know

At the tournament's ( 1999 World Cup ) first match Srinath and McGrath went head to head once more. This time it was evident for all the world to see that Javagal Srinath was no medium pacer, but was a genuine speedster clocking up 149.6kph once again and bettering McGrath's best speed by some 9kph. Srinath proved to be the second fastest bowler of the World Cup 1999, next to Shoaib (154.5kph )

Edited by express bowling
8 hours ago, maniac said:

No. Srinath had a few spells yes but on an average Donald was faster and probably Waqar until maybe 94-95

IMAO Srinath defeated donald in quickest pace in a series played in sa and in wc. Thats a clear defeat. Only shoaib was definitely quicker than srinath at that time. Obviously shoaib went to a diff level by 2002 2003 and crossed 155 like in every over etc srinath got old left then lee bolt joined and rest is history. Waqar was more shami umesh type fast bowler premier before donald perhaps i dont know the deats. Some pace bowling stat junky can enlighten.

26 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Lee and Akthar were freaks. In the below video Lee's average speed is around 147 and so many deliveries over 150 and moving the ball at such pace. Batsman like Kallis, ABD and Gibbs struggling to put bat on bowl. Don't think we will see such bowlers any time soon.

to think that along with them there was Bond Fidel and Sami who could touch almost similar speeds . what a time

56 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Lee and Akthar were freaks. In the below video Lee's average speed is around 147 and so many deliveries over 150 and moving the ball at such pace. Batsman like Kallis, ABD and Gibbs struggling to put bat on ball. Don't think we will see such bowlers any time soon.

Last test Starc averaged 149-150 average in one spell. Johnson has also averaged 145-147 in a whole inning.

1 hour ago, Mosher said:

Lee and Akthar were freaks. In the below video Lee's average speed is around 147 and so many deliveries over 150 and moving the ball at such pace. Batsman like Kallis, ABD and Gibbs struggling to put bat on ball. Don't think we will see such bowlers any time soon.

One ball was shown at 165