Arrange them in the order of speeds

MechEng

From fastest to slowest:

Pat Cummins, Waqar Younis, Malcolm Marshall, James Anderson, Wasim Akram, Brett Schultz

For me:

1. Brett Schultz (fastest)

2. Waqar Younis

3. Pat Cummins

4. James Anderson

5. Malcolm Marshall

6. Wasim Akram (slowest)

I always felt Jimmy Anderson is underrated for his pace, he cranks up 142 kph nearing 40 years, not seen from Marshall or Akram though they are far superior bowlers.

1 hour ago, Adamant said:

Waqar Younis

Marshall=Cummins

Schultz

Wasim

Anderson

Schultz was no speed demon,I don't get why you put him above Younis.

Wasim at his peak was much faster than Anderson ever was.

A 39 year old Anderson still hits 140k’s in a test match comfortably. We tend to over rate the Pakistani speeds based on their fan’s hype.

Wasim no doubt was a maestro When it came to skills  but never a 150k bowler even at his absolute peak. He might have hit a few deliveries here and there though but I will say on an average I am sure Ishant and Umesh have had more spells where they were hitting 150ks in Australia but obviously he they are indians so must be trundlers.

2 hours ago, maniac said:

A 39 year old Anderson still hits 140k’s in a test match comfortably. We tend to over rate the Pakistani speeds based on their fan’s hype.

Wasim no doubt was a maestro When it came to skills  but never a 150k bowler even at his absolute peak. He might have hit a few deliveries here and there though but I will say on an average I am sure Ishant and Umesh have had more spells where they were hitting 150ks in Australia but obviously he they are indians so must be trundlers.

Malcolm Marshall too gets overrated for his speed, I'd say he was as quick as Makhaya Ntini at best, quick but not too quick. I won't deny he's the greatest bowler of all time though.

Anderson? Just look at him, not a trace of fat on his body, full of lean muscle and athletic. Marshall reitred by 33 and had lost a lot of pace but Anderson still bowls at 88-89 mph at 39 years old.

3 hours ago, Adamant said:

Waqar Younis

Marshall=Cummins

Schultz

Wasim

Anderson

Schultz was no speed demon,I don't get why you put him above Younis.

Wasim at his peak was much faster than Anderson ever was.

Schultz was quicker than Donald at his peak, this is when India toured SA in 1992.

Anderson at his fastest was hitting 95 mph in 2003, even quicker than Wasim. besides Anderson has a side on action which makes bowling fast easier compared to front on actions from Wasim and Marshall.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:44 AM, MechEng said:

Schultz was quicker than Donald at his peak, this is when India toured SA in 1992.

Anderson at his fastest was hitting 95 mph in 2003, even quicker than Wasim. besides Anderson has a side on action which makes bowling fast easier compared to front on actions from Wasim and Marshall.

Anderson at best hit 91-92 mph that is about 146-147. Akram had side on action but he was a skiddy bowler. While Jofra Archer and Mitch Starc both have hit 95 mph with front on action.

Edited by rkt.india
On 9/13/2020 at 12:37 AM, MechEng said:

Malcolm Marshall too gets overrated for his speed, I'd say he was as quick as Makhaya Ntini at best, quick but not too quick. I won't deny he's the greatest bowler of all time though.

Anderson? Just look at him, not a trace of fat on his body, full of lean muscle and athletic. Marshall reitred by 33 and had lost a lot of pace but Anderson still bowls at 88-89 mph at 39 years old.

Ntini too has bowled up to 149.

What you need to clarify is, who were the fastest for what duration? Are you rating bowlers based on their peak period which may even be as small as 6 months? Or entire career? If it is entire career, then the rating would be -

Malcolm Marshall ( although, cannot be proven)

Cummins

Waqar, Wasim ( they were both fast medium for a majority of their career, with waseem ranging from medium fast to fm )

James anderson

Cant rate schultz. He never made headlines for his pace alone, so I am not sure why his name is figuring here in this discussion.

2 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

What you need to clarify is, who were the fastest for what duration? Are you rating bowlers based on their peak period which may even be as small as 6 months? Or entire career? If it is entire career, then the rating would be -

Malcolm Marshall ( although, cannot be proven)

Cummins

Waqar, Wasim ( they were both fast medium for a majority of their career, with waseem ranging from medium fast to fm )

James anderson

Cant rate schultz. He never made headlines for his pace alone, so I am not sure why his name is figuring here in this discussion.

I'd say Marshall was realistically around Sreesanth speeds in 85-87 mph range, but he was skiddy and a very intelligent complete fast bowler. Marshall was probably a skiddier right hand version of Wasim Akram.

Jimmie Anderson is still bowling in 88-89 mph range even today. Though he is a legit all time great and far fitter than any fast bowler in the history of the game, he doesn't have the aura of Marshall/Steyn/Akram.

Schultz was a left hand version of Shoaib Akhtar literally!!! If you mirror image a Shoaib Akhtar youtube spell, it would look like Schultz bowling!

3 hours ago, MechEng said:

I'd say Marshall was realistically around Sreesanth speeds in 85-87 mph range, but he was skiddy and a very intelligent complete fast bowler. Marshall was probably a skiddier right hand version of Wasim Akram.

Jimmie Anderson is still bowling in 88-89 mph range even today. Though he is a legit all time great and far fitter than any fast bowler in the history of the game, he doesn't have the aura of Marshall/Steyn/Akram.

Schultz was a left hand version of Shoaib Akhtar literally!!! If you mirror image a Shoaib Akhtar youtube spell, it would look like Schultz bowling!

Only that Schultz wasn't as quick as Shoaib. Regarding Marshall, he was more like Steyn.

Video of Schultz from 1993. Doesn't look even close to Mitch Johnson.

3 hours ago, MechEng said:

MIrror image of Shoaib is a bit much. Anderson has never been quick. Only fast medium. On a personal note, he is not an all time great. I find him mediocre. 

Legit all time greats from this list are Marshall, Waqar and Wasim. None of them had pace of Shoaib or Brett Lee. Waqar during 89-92 was fast. I would say around 150-153/155ish at times. Marshall is debatable. But I would go with rkt about Steyn and Marshall.