Why is Sanju Samson so highly rated?

SecondSlip

I think slightly overrated? He can be explosive but rather hit or miss. 

Right now on Sky I am watching Glenn Maxwell bashing it about in IPL 2015, Kolkata vs Punjab at Eden Gardens WITH fans! 

Maxwell is similar problem, explosive but misses out a lot getting out early which is why I draw a comparison to Sanju though he perhaps bats higher up the order. 

Gautum Gambhir's birthday today which I think is why they are showing this game. 

Edited by Chennai Chargers

The ability to hit with timing and hitting sixes -  he is similar to Rohit . So when we see those shots , it is WOW time , but that does not last long .

Only he can blame himself . Rohit has mastered in his shot selection and hence now a Legend in short format but this guy has not made it .

He should be considered only if he changes his game a bit and starts winning matches for his side be it state team , IPL or India A  else this is a big lottery .

He should know that unless he shows ability to win matches , he will not make it to the Indian team.

16 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Today he must be disappointed with his effort. He could have redeemed himself but once again took the bad option instead of being smart.

But as you say I ll still overrate him, want him to be selected for Indian squad

What the hell is wrong with you? You seriously want some inconsistent domestic failure to play for the National Team? I know you dislike Rishabh Pant but this guy is 10x worse! 

Can you tell me why you rate him so highly?

Teams usually rely on the top 7 batsmen. There are 14 games and if teams target min 50% wins, if a batsman in combination of other 1-2 batsmen can help to win 3-4 games, he is doing fine. Samson has won two games already for his team (and played a minor role in its 3rd win). May be others need to step up more and of course Samson can win a few more too 

Edited by zen

6 minutes ago, SecondSlip said:

What the hell is wrong with you? You seriously want some inconsistent domestic failure to play for the National Team? I know you dislike Rishabh Pant but this guy is 10x worse! 

Can you tell me why you rate him so highly?

Who told you I hate Pant? Both Samson & Pant can play together. 

I rate Samson because he has an all round game, stroke making ability reminiscent of Rohit. He has had a very good A tour performances lately, which got him back into the squad for the NZ tour. He is that kind of player who needs support of captain & management. He deserves a run of 20 games to sink or swim in intl. cricket.

Additionally, he is a maverick, who can get going from ball one. How many similar kind of team builders India needs in its lineup.

Look T20 is a bs format. No one is consistent or most players are hit or miss. So when a talent like him perform or fail and isn’t consistent, its fine. And if people ask for inclusion of such players in t20 Indian line up, thats fine too becuse the ones who play for India in that format aren’t consistent either.

50 over is a different beast. T20 isn’t of that status. 

Gill has been scoring runs but I won’t put him in 20 overs of Indian team based on that because he is not batting great for international t20 standards. But just by looking at the way Gill is batting, I will try him in Indian 50 overs, I believe his style suots that format. 

That is the difference. You go by gut instinct for t20s for Indian international team. Don’t look at how consistent they are. Leave all this scrutiny only for 50 over like which is the real deal in terms of LOI format.

1 minute ago, SecondSlip said:

So the only reason you rate him highly is because he can hit a few 6s here and there? Even a bowler can do that when he has nothing to lose. 

its just not six its the ability to do make good balls bad balls , this is why someone is rated. Im talking about ability ur unhappy with his consistency....ability alone doesnt guarantee consistency .

PPL think ability is enough 

I have heard that crap of hitting six before, someone in morning only wrote send umesh instead of pandya if u want blind slog.....go ahead trying sending bowlers up. Just try and it ll be a mockery 

22 minutes ago, zen said:

Teams usually rely on the top 7 batsmen. There are 14 games and if teams target min 50% wins, if a batsman in combination of other 1-2 batsmen can help to win 3-4 games, he is doing fine. Samson has won two games already for his team (and played a minor role in its 3rd win). May be others need to step up more and of course Samson can win a few more too 

Still doesn't explain why he's so highly rated and why people want this domestic failure to play for Team India

20 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Who told you I hate Pant? Both Samson & Pant can play together. 

I rate Samson because he has an all round game, stroke making ability reminiscent of Rohit. He has had a very good A tour performances lately, which got him back into the squad for the NZ tour. He is that kind of player who needs support of captain & management. He deserves a run of 20 games to sink or swim in intl. cricket.

Additionally, he is a maverick, who can get going from ball one. How many similar kind of team builders India needs in its lineup.

The guy has played 90 List A matches and averages only 30. 
Shame on you bro if this is the type of player you support! :lol:

Just now, SecondSlip said:

The guy has played 90 List A matches and averages only 30. 
Shame on you bro if this is the type of player you support! :lol:

If one had to go by pure stats, computer system can pick a side. Thankfully the selectors are not as ignorant as you & are keeping him in the scheme of things by picking him for A tours. It's time he gets consistent run in international cricket, if he fails so be it.

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

exactly and LOI cricket is about match winners or utility player thats it nothing beyond that

If you look at the graph below in the WBA & SR column (others things can be not so imp):

1224881_900x1000.png&w=1140&cquality=40&

Only two batsmen in the history of the game have balanced high avg w/ high SR: Viv Richards & ABDV 

Most of the batsmen either have high avg but sacrifice SR for that (less than 90) relatively (Kohli, Tendulkar) or have a high SR but sacrifice avg (Sehwag, Gilly and Jayasuriya) 

Talking about RR: Smith and Stokes are its high avg players, while Samson & Buttler, high SR 

17 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

If one had to go by pure stats, computer system can pick a side. Thankfully the selectors are not as ignorant as you & are keeping him in the scheme of things by picking him for A tours. It's time he gets consistent run in international cricket, if he fails so be it.

First tell him to perform in domestic cricket before begging for his inclusion in the Indian Team. 

This overrated failure should stay very far away from the national side unless he proves himself in domestic cricket. 

A few sixes here and there in IPL should never be used to judge a batsman.