Jump to content
coffee_rules

Food thread

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, coffee_rules said:


in Karnataka authentic ways, Dosa is supposed to be had with alu palya and chutney. Sambhar with dosey is a Chennai import. I grew up eating like it, without sambhar. So. In Bangalore circles, Dosa without sambar is considered more original and authentic. 

Now, if you are going to go there, the authentic way to eat idli-vade is to cut up the idlis and vade in your plate into bite-sized pieces, pour the chutney and sambar over the pieces, don't let them drown, and then savor each piece of mystery.  All the innumerable permutations.  Idli piece now, vade piece now, each with its own unique sambar-chutney ratio. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gollum said:

Pleaaaase take Mysore Pak, I am sure whole of TN will breathe a collective sigh of relief. Tamils have their Macroon (Tuticorin ones :hungry:), Tirunelveli Halwa, Kozhukattai, Jangri etc to feast on, no one apart from velu cares about MP. Granted Tamil sweets are behind Bengali ones but at least now the Mysore Pak burden is unchained from their necks. Enjoy your Dosa sans Sambhar and Mysore Pak dessert, might as well drink Karela juice to wash all that down :eviltongue:

 

 

We still own patents in "Special mysorepa" domain :dance:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

I've always had an issue with trying to translate everything into Anglo-accessible terminology.  Vade= Donut?  Aappam = steamed rice bar? WTF?  Just call it Vade and Aappam.  I understand reaching out to a wide audience, but sometimes there's just not an equivalent.    


there is never an equivalence. Donut is more like a barfi with a hole in it than a Vada and Pancake is more like a appam (the sweet version not the Kerala version) than a Dosa.

 

May be because western food is more sweet based and our food is more spicy/savory so it is very tough to find an equivalence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

I've always had an issue with trying to translate everything into Anglo-accessible terminology.  Vade= Donut?  Aappam = steamed rice bar? WTF?  Just call it Vade and Aappam.  I understand reaching out to a wide audience, but sometimes there's just not an equivalent.    


but we proudly correct some who says crossant instead of crussaw for croissant.  Idli, Vada, Dosa (not pancakes)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Now, if you are going to go there, the authentic way to eat idli-vade is to cut up the idlis and vade in your plate into bite-sized pieces, pour the chutney and sambar over the pieces, don't let them drown, and then savor each piece of mystery.  All the innumerable permutations.  Idli piece now, vade piece now, each with its own unique sambar-chutney ratio. 


my comment was more to do with what accompanies Dosa as friends. Sennai has made Sambar a BFF of Dosa, while it is not. Talking about how to eat idli- vada , options are Separate-aa or Boat-aa? 
 

Separate A2B style:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaX06V9qMKRmAIOaRP_PY


 

Boat UpaharaDarshini style:

idli-vada-sambar.jpg


2-18-e1540626032182.jpg
 

I prefer the latter with associated slurpy noises around

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:


my comment was more to do with what accompanies Dosa as friends. Sennai has made Sambar a BFF of Dosa, while it is not. Talking about how to eat idli- vada , options are Separate-aa or Boat-aa? 
 

Separate A2B style:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaX06V9qMKRmAIOaRP_PY


 

Boat UpaharaDarshini style:

idli-vada-sambar.jpg


2-18-e1540626032182.jpg
 

I prefer the latter with associated slurpy noises around

Boat.  Always boat.  Chetney, sambar mixoo idre ... awnajji, inyenu byaada lifenaage.

(Translation:  If chutney sambar mix also there, expletive, nothing more needed in life)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, maniac said:


there is never an equivalence. Donut is more like a barfi with a hole in it than a Vada and Pancake is more like a appam (the sweet version not the Kerala version) than a Dosa.

 

May be because western food is more sweet based and our food is more spicy/savory so it is very tough to find an equivalence.

 

 

Western sweet stuff if consumed in same amount as we consume Indian sweets, then it is likely a person will have diabetes.

 

Western sweet stuff is so shyt that we don't end up eating as much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of breakfast foods:  As much as Dosay, Idli, Vade etc. are awesome, there's something to be said for Misal Pav and Kadhi Vada.

 

The best can be had at Rajkamal Misal in Narayangaon on Pune - Nashik highway. 

 

image.png.069674bc1575c473f0ba5659ed654e3d.png

 

Rajkamal Misal Kolhapuri in Nashik

 

Kadhi Wada Rajkamal Misal Kolhapuri in Nashik

 

This review is about their new center in Nashik:

 

https://justnashik.com/2018/03/12/food-review-famous-rajkamal-misal-from-narayangaon-is-now-in-nashik/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...