T Natarajan could make his debut at the SCG - TOI

Stan AF

I actually want Shardul to play.  :peep:

And lol at people saying Kuldeep should play as 3rd spinner. That'd be a bigger disaster than Lords 2018 as now we actually have an idea what happens when we go with just two seamers for a SENA test. 

On top of that, rain and cloud cover is forecasted. So there you go....

4 hours ago, Stan AF said:
"The selectors had added Shardul Thakur (Mumbai paceman) as  ..

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/india-in-australia/india-vs-australia-t-natarajan-could-make-his-test-debut-at-the-scg/articleshow/80020991.cms

Looks like ICF is not getting its way again with the team selection. Cue the outrage in 3, 2 and ......

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

I actually want Shardul to play.  :peep:

And lol at people saying Kuldeep should play as 3rd spinner. That'd be a bigger disaster than Lords 2018 as now we actually have an idea what happens when we go with just two seamers for a SENA test. 

On top of that, rain and cloud cover is forecasted. So there you go....

Playing Nattu or Shardul will be a big mistake. Australia is a graveyard for medium pacers more than spinners. We all know how the Kumars were destroyed in the previous tour. Bhuvi in 2014-15 and Vinny in perth in 2012. Either go the way of Saini or Kuldeep. No in betweens. Kuldeep will help extract turn in Sydney (doesnt he have a 5fer there last time :hmmmm:) and will also help the over rate. Kuldeep got his debut cap in DHarmsala under Rahane so I'm waiting for Rahane to pick him again. Kuldeep is someone the aussies will have trouble with. They are poor players of spin apart from Smith.

Most probably it is fake news from TOI as Umesh's injury is not certain and Nattu is not yet drafted to the test team. 

Also it doesn't make sense when Saini has been in the bench as he is the first selection. Shardul is picked over Nattu as Shami's replacement, so it doesn't make sense to select Nattu when he doesn't even make it to the team as first choice when Shami is injured.

IMO Saini should be preferred over Natrajan but Shardul should not be the next choice. Picking Shadul will be the Vinay Kumar choice. Even if Natrajan is picked it would not be a bad pick.

ICFers thinking Natrajan cannot last in Tests should take a look at his record that he has played 20 FC matches and has better average and much better Strike Rate than Saini. Also he has improved his pace to mid-130s which is similar to what Siraj has been bowling. Him being a Left Hander will also add variety and he gets the Left armer swing which should be handy.

20 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

IMO Saini should be preferred over Natrajan but Shardul should not be the next choice. Picking Shadul will be the Vinay Kumar choice. Even if Natrajan is picked it would not be a bad pick.

ICFers thinking Natrajan cannot last in Tests should take a look at his record that he has played 20 FC matches and has better average and much better Strike Rate than Saini. Also he has improved his pace to mid-130s which is similar to what Siraj has been bowling. Him being a Left Hander will also add variety and he gets the Left armer swing which should be handy.

Nope even Bumrah Hazelwood were trundling at 133-135 kph mid test.  Test match requires endurance.  I won't be surprised he bowls 120 kph thunderbolts come 13th over.  Terrible terrible pick if it happens.  I'll take Shardul even over Nattu.  Saini is much better than these two though. 

I think given that the two spinners and maybe vihari will bowl 40 overs between them its likely that the 3 pacers will have to share 50 overs. Of which the third pacer will bowl the least.

So the key question is can Natrajan keep it above 135 (apart from obvious slower balls) and keep it tight for 12 to 15 overs. This needs to be done in bursts of 4 to 5 over spells. 

Thakur will defo add with the bat around 15 to 20 runs on a decent deck

I also think he can bowl flat out for 10 overs in a day in 2 to 3 over spells

If you play thakur than vihari needs to chip in woth 5 to 6 overs to complete that 5th bowler quota

All depends on the pitch. If its on the flatter side but does have something in it for spinners than maybe thakur makes sense. If you need more pace support then saini or natrajan.

If you play thakur than vihari needs to chip in woth 5 to 6 overs to complete that 5th bowler quota

All depends on the pitch. If its on the flatter side but does have something in it for spinners than maybe thakur makes sense. If you need more pace support then saini or natrajan.

Fifth bowler quota? Don't we already have Jadeja to do that? And he's much more than just a fifth bowler...

Why would we need Vihari and Shardul?
1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

Nope even Bumrah Hazelwood were trundling at 133-135 kph mid test.  Test match requires endurance.

In his first 15 tests, Bumrah has been great at

sustaining 140 k+ even in his last spell of the day.  His endurance is top class.

In the last test, he did trundle in his last 15 overs ... probably because of injury to Shami, Umesh and Ishant. His responsibility and workload has been too much.

He probably wants to make sure that our last experienced pacer stays fit.

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

I won't be surprised he bowls 120 kph thunderbolts come 13th over.  Terrible terrible pick if it happens.  I'll take Shardul even over Nattu.  Saini is much better than these two though. 

Agree.

In Ranji Trophy, Natarajan has not been good at sustaining pace.

32 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

You don't pick a bowler for his batting abilities :lol: BTW Saini and Kuldeep can hold a bat and are on par with Thakur in tests and are better than him in bowling

1 hour ago, vayuu1 said:

The article says nattu as cover ,cover for injury,not playing and for those saying Saini is erratic based on his odi performance here where teams were scoring 350 for fun, forget longer format is his stronger suit.

He didn't bowl that well in the second tour game in the second innings. Actually none of the main bowlers succeeded and it was on a lively track in SCG albeit they bowled in conditions that have eased out by then.