Can Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammad Shami get to 300 test wickets?

Majestic

1 hour ago, Chakdephatte said:

Glad you asked. As there's an interesting stat about him

So, 28 on paper. 

So, Shami got to his last 100 wickets in 3 years and 11 months( Jan 2018- Dec 2021).

I think if he decides to retire from LOI cricket after 2023 World Cup, he should be comfortably able to get to 300 test wickets.

300 wickets at 27 will be indeed a great achievement.

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

So, Shami got to his last 100 wickets in 3 years and 11 months( Jan 2018- Dec 2021).

I think if he decides to retire from LOI cricket after 2023 World Cup, he should be comfortably able to get to 300 test wickets.

300 wickets at 27 will be indeed a great achievement.

Shami will improve his avg from here.

11 hours ago, deepdynamo said:

In an Ideal world, love to have these great bowlers finishing their careers at:

Ishant: 350 Wkts
Shami: 300 Wkts
Umesh: 200 Wkts
Bumrah: 300 Wkts
Ashwin: 500Wkts
Jadeja: 300 Wkts

I ll go ahead and place a bet along with  that

Axar Patel: 200 wickets.

Siraj: 250 Wickets

Thakur: 100 Wickets

11 hours ago, neel roy said:

I ll go ahead and place a bet along with  that

Axar Patel: 200 wickets.

Siraj: 250 Wickets

Thakur: 100 Wickets

Interesting.

Axar will get all the opportunities at home and in SL/BD. So 200 for him is sureshot.
Siraj has got around 33 wkts in 10 tests but he will have a long career for sure..atleast 60-70 tests so he will most probably reach it also.
Thakur is iffy...he will only play overseas in SENA and he will not pick buckets of wickets because there will be there other strike bowlers ahead of him.

6 hours ago, deepdynamo said:

Interesting.

Axar will get all the opportunities at home and in SL/BD. So 200 for him is sureshot.
Siraj has got around 33 wkts in 10 tests but he will have a long career for sure..atleast 60-70 tests so he will most probably reach it also.
Thakur is iffy...he will only play overseas in SENA and he will not pick buckets of wickets because there will be there other strike bowlers ahead of him.

Yeah Shardul has 16 in 5 tests. With same average / SR he has to play 28 to 30 tests to get there. Lets see how it pans out.

On 12/30/2021 at 2:41 PM, sarchasm said:

Bumrah is going to get the rolls royce treatment. He'll get to skip a lot of test series where India would think they can overpower teams without his services. Limits his chances of accumulating cheap wickets but if it results in India triumphing the tough tours then why not.

Like many have noticed, Shami has lost a lot of pace over the last 12 months. He was matching Bumrah and Umesh for pace a little over an year ago. He can still be effective and I expect (and hope) for him to finish anywhere between 250-300 wickets.

Umesh is someone who can finish with ~225 wickets under 30 and a remarkable SR of 50.

Ishant is done but he'll linger awhile.

Agree.

Saini and Ishan Porel looked fairly ready in the A series. I'd like one of them along with Prasidh playing against SL and Bangla in upcoming series.

We generally have similar opinions about pace bowlers.

Which is why I want to know which qualities about Porel impresses you ?

From what I have seen of Porel, while he does get some bounce and a bit of seam movement, he is so medium paced at age 23 that will he be able to do well at the top level and do we want such a medium pacer ?

Edited by express bowling
36 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I hope they play only till the time they are our top 3 pacers for test matches. I will be happy with whatever wickets they get during this time. I hope they do not linger on when they lose wicket taking ability and pace.

That will not happen. In India, only batsmen are superstars. Look at how Ishant became our back option and Siraj first choice. It needed just 5-6 bad matches for Ishant Sharma. Now compare that to Rahane, a non entity who is failing for 50 matches.

Plus fast bowlers are injury prone, that means there is always a chance for young talents, they just need to grab it like Siraj did.

Edited by Chakdephatte
3 hours ago, express bowling said:

Agree.

We generally have similar opinions about pace bowlers.

Which is why I want to know which qualities about Porel impresses you ?

From what I have seen of Porel, while he does get some bounce and a bit of seam movement, he is so medium paced at age 23 that will he be able to do well at the top level and do we want such a medium pacer ?

he bowls at a pace only slightly higher than unadcutter and dhawal kulkarni. he is accurate and gets some bounce, but is undoubtedly a trundler.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

he bowls at a pace only slightly higher than unadcutter and dhawal kulkarni. he is accurate and gets some bounce, but is undoubtedly a trundler.

tall trundlers are okay if they are accurate and get bounce and movement