Jan 26th Republic day- Do we need a parade

coffee_rules

Nah, its a event and a holiday. It also gives a reason to invite foreign dignitory and help in foreign policy.

Lets continue with it. May be take armed forces out of equation. Just put new versions only in parade. An incentive for arm factories.

It is a national celebration .

A parade is fitting way of celebrating it.

As for the show of arms and soldiers....

We have rogue nations surrounding us,it doesn't hurt to thump the chest once a year.

What we should stop is the drama at wagah. We give too much importance to that nation . No need. We are not equals. Just put a proper opaque gate there and let the clowns on the other side do their thing. We should stop that nonsense.

On 1/24/2021 at 11:12 AM, Clarke said:

Half of it is a commie way of showing off ur large army with marching soldiers & military weapons, not required at all. 

The other half is a 1950s musical in 20 odd languages.

Have to disagree with all that you've said.

Why a communist way? It is a British legacy that is being followed. And armies world over have had these parade events for ages.

Also, 1950s music? Its folk music some of it from centuries ago. I think the tableaus/jhankis make for a fun watch.

^^ I wasn't seriously posting that. To be honest, I like to watch it as well, and then it gets me thinking that we're just a ritualistic & celebratory type of people. We say we love our diversity and live with various caste & communal challenges. We admire our armed forces but struggle to get them the right equipment. We worship our rivers while turning them into cesspools. We value justice but keep decades of backlog in delivering it. We're the most dangerous place to drive in the world and then we have a nice parade once a year.

One can call it a cynical view but I feel these rituals act as an opium to cover up our incompetence.

I prefer the way 2nd Oct was used to take up cleanliness as a national priority rather than do plays on bapu & his charkha. Similarly, other efforts need to be taken up as well using these imp days of our history. Lastly, govt can only do so much, it's a general contributions to nation building that need to be stepped up from individuals & private entities.

6 hours ago, Clarke said:

^^ I wasn't seriously posting that. To be honest, I like to watch it as well, and then it gets me thinking that we're just a ritualistic & celebratory type of people. We say we love our diversity and live with various caste & communal challenges. We admire our armed forces but struggle to get them the right equipment. We worship our rivers while turning them into cesspools. We value justice but keep decades of backlog in delivering it. We're the most dangerous place to drive in the world and then we have a nice parade once a year.

One can call it a cynical view but I feel these rituals act as an opium to cover up our incompetence.

I prefer the way 2nd Oct was used to take up cleanliness as a national priority rather than do plays on bapu & his charkha. Similarly, other efforts need to be taken up as well using these imp days of our history. Lastly, govt can only do so much, it's a general contributions to nation building that need to be stepped up from individuals & private entities.

As long as there are people like the one below, we should keep the rituals on. I think we can spare the Armed forces and not have them make trapeze artists on motorbikes. But, the celebration of Indian pluralism and culture has to be done to let the next generations know about the idea of our civilization.