Jaws and Sholay - the two impactful films of 1975

zen

11 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Aside of Schindler's list and Fault in our stars, don't think I've been emotionally invested in any Hollywood movie.

Anyone else feel the same?

A good movie is a good movie respective of where it is made. Human emotions can come across through any medium to make you connect with the film. Try the below films (based on my understanding of what you would like) to see if anything changes: 

* The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (a French musical. Many Bollywood films have been inspired from it including Julie)

* Life is a Beautiful (Italian. A Jewish father walks this son through a concentration camp, making it appear like a game. There was a Saif Ali Khan movie like that where he was a race car driver)

* City Lights (Silent movie starring Charlie Chaplin. A quest for love. A bit like Sadma but with a different twist and comedy blended in)

* Bicycle Thief (Italian. Do Bigha Zameen) 

* The Mad Fox (Japanese. Animals can take human forms and fall in love with humans too but ...) 

12 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I don't know which version of jaws it was, but I couldn't see it beyond 20-30 mins.

PS

The original Jaws directed by Spielberg is the best one. Other parts are cheesy versions that may not have aged well. 

In the first film, the shark only comes (or more precisely is shown fully) towards the end. More time is spent to introduce the characters, convenience the town, which relies on tourists and wants to get the most $$$ out of the holiday season, of the threat (dealing with politics), the emotions, and eventually forming the team for the mission. Some of the time on the boat is spent on camaraderie as well before the confrontation with the shark. 

Edited by zen

12 hours ago, zen said:

PS

The original Jaws directed by Spielberg is the best one. Other parts are cheesy versions that may not have aged well. 

In the first film, the shark only comes (or more precisely is shown fully) towards the end. More time is spent to introduce the characters, convenience the town, which relies on tourists and wants to get the most $$$ out of the holiday season, of the threat (dealing with politics), the emotions, and eventually forming the team for the mission. Some of the time on the boat is spent on camaraderie as well before the confrontation with the shark. 

It probably wasn't this one.

Maybe Jaws 2 or 3.

There was hardly any character build up. Its difficult to feel bad for a character who gets devoured by a shark if you've introduced him just 3 mins before his demise.

Thanks for the recommendation. Shall try and watch Jaws 1.

Edited by Mariyam

18 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Maybe Jaws 2 or 3.

There was hardly any character build up. Its difficult to feel bad for a character who gets devoured by a shark if you've introduced him just 3 mins before his demise.

Actually, I have not been able to finish any, All the shark horror movies have limited set of screen play and scenarios

5 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Maybe Jaws 2 or 3.

Jaws was restored in 2012 for Blu-ray and recently again (mainly using the 2012 transfer iirc) for UHD so it also looks good too 

5 hours ago, mishra said:

Actually, I have not been able to finish any, All the shark horror movies have limited set of screen play and scenarios

Agree, highly overrated. I have watched only the first one in a theatre, rest all snippets. The original was ordinary, not much of emotional content , boring in the middle. Plus the main character is a chicken. Only appreciate Shaw who dies. Climax is thrilling, you can sleep through the rest.

9 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Agree, highly overrated. I have watched only the first one in a theatre, rest all snippets. The original was ordinary, not much of emotional content , boring in the middle. Plus the main character is a chicken. Only appreciate Shaw who dies. Climax is thrilling, you can sleep through the rest.

Disagree. I could not put the book down and movie was equally good.

9 minutes ago, Khota said:

Disagree. I could not put the book down and movie was equally good.

watched it a long time ago, I remember what I felt. Have to watch it again, but the subject matter doesn’t enthuse re-watches. Aliens , first two. Is much more thrilling from start to finish and is a better horror movie.

25 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

watched it a long time ago, I remember what I felt. Have to watch it again, but the subject matter doesn’t enthuse re-watches. Aliens , first two. Is much more thrilling from start to finish and is a better horror movie.

Sigourney Weaver (Ripley) in Alien is a masterpiece/ Very few movies are that good. And talk about a god looking actress, she is hot.

DREAMS ARE WHAT LE CINEMA IS FOR...: ALIEN 1979

On 3/1/2021 at 11:18 AM, Mariyam said:

Sholay is a standout because its one of the very few films remembered for/by its villain also. Gabbar Singh.

The only other movie that comes to mind is Mr. India with Mogambo.

Could count Agnipath too, but commercially it wasn't as successful.

Yeh post dekh kar "Mogambo khush hua"! 

On 3/2/2021 at 11:57 AM, Mariyam said:

Somehow, I don't recollect much of the Hollywood movies that I see. Nor am I able to associate much with them.

There would be a 100 Bollywood movies where I'd have felt very bad for a certain character or in extreme cases even shed a few tears. Somehow, even the good/commercially sucessful Hollywood movies do not leave any impact.

I don't know which version of jaws it was, but I couldn't see it beyond 20-30 mins. Ditto Godfather. Don't get the hype. Couldn't watch it in one sitting. Even the book was so so.

Aside of Schindler's list and Fault in our stars, don't think I've been emotionally invested in any Hollywood movie.

Anyone else feel the same?

Same here. Hollywood doesn't seem to have the emotional connect of Indian movies. Maybe it's the language, cultural differences and difference in general outlook towards life. One Hollywood movie I felt sad after watching is "The Wild bunch".  It is a 50+ year old cowboy movie directed by maverick director Sam Peckinpah, who is considered the Godfather of showing bloody, ghastly violent scenes. Before him, cowboys would shoot out and drop dead without shedding a drop of blood. Peckinpah changed all that with over the top violence. Directors like Quentin Tarantino have adopted a similar violent style in their movies. His Django Unchained is an orgy of violence reminiscent of the Peckinpah movies. Amidst all the violence, Wild Bunch is a story about an honest reflection about a failed, outdated way of life and a tale of redemption of even the most incorrigible, irredeemable characters.  

On 3/2/2021 at 11:15 PM, zen said:

A good movie is a good movie respective of where it is made. Human emotions can come across through any medium to make you connect with the film. Try the below films (based on my understanding of what you would like) to see if anything changes: 

* The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (a French musical. Many Bollywood films have been inspired from it including Julie)

* Life is a Beautiful (Italian. A Jewish father walks this son through a concentration camp, making it appear like a game. There was a Saif Ali Khan movie like that where he was a race car driver)

* City Lights (Silent movie starring Charlie Chaplin. A quest for love. A bit like Sadma but with a different twist and comedy blended in)

* Bicycle Thief (Italian. Do Bigha Zameen) 

* The Mad Fox (Japanese. Animals can take human forms and fall in love with humans too but ...) 

Tara rum pum? Theres no similarity :hmmm: