Jaws and Sholay - the two impactful films of 1975

zen

In 1975, two films made a major impact on movie lovers - Jaws and Sholay. 

• Jaws. Released in June, the film paved the way for what we now term as "the summer blockbuster" season. This was Spielberg's first major global box office hit (and probably among his top 3 hits of all time, if not the top, when adjusted for inflation). The score by John Williams is a classic. For most parts of the film, the shark's movements are depicted through the score. Someone who saw the film when it was released told me that many cinemas had speakers under the seats (probably an innovation of the time) and the score used to get loud suddenly on shark scenes, creating fear. After the release of the film, going to the beach was seen as a potentially scary experience in many parts of the world. Sharks came back to prominence. 
  • Sholay. Released in August, the film combined various elements to make it one of the best representations of the "masala" genre in Ind. It is said to have run for 15 or so years in certain cinemas. Its limited re-releases were hits too. While it is difficult to gauge its precise gross adjusted for inflation, people in India, respectfully, like to see it as one of its biggest hits, if not the biggest, of all time (fondly perceived as a film that grossed the equivalent of whatever the unadjusted highest grossing current Bollywood film is). Everything about the film is legendary from its characters, direction, story, dialogues to the score by R.D. Burman. Even years after its release, folks continued to talk about it. My math tuition teacher used to put in Sholay's dialog audio cassette during classes (no wonder he was popular with us). 

There is not much need to write more about these popular films. Both these films are rated as "the favorite" by many ...  Have you seen them recently? Which one is your favorite? Or is it difficult to decide? ... What are your favorite moments from these films? 

Edited by zen

53 minutes ago, Under_Score said:

I feel Sholay was inspired by Western Classic blockbuster flics....Gabbar Singh character looks like a copy of this villain El Indio

El Indio in fistful of dollars as well :hail:

I rate soundtrack of fistful of dollars higher than once upon a time in the west and good bad n ugly 

Edited by velu

9 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Sholay is a standout because its one of the very few films remembered for/by its villain also. Gabbar Singh.

The only other movie that comes to mind is Mr. India with Mogambo.

Could count Agnipath too, but commercially it wasn't as successful.

Add films like shaan as well (shakaal) 

In Karz, there was Sir Judah who was mute so used to communicate by tapping on whiskey glasses :lol: 

11 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Sholay is a standout because its one of the very few films remembered for/by its villain also. Gabbar Singh.

The only other movie that comes to mind is Mr. India with Mogambo.

Could count Agnipath too, but commercially it wasn't as successful.

Oh, People remember everyone from Sholay- Mausi, soorma bhopalai, angrezo ke jamane ke jailor, kaaliya, samba, Raheem chacha,Ramlaal including that Barber.

48 minutes ago, mishra said:

Oh, People remember everyone from Sholay- Mausi, soorma bhopalai, angrezo ke jamane ke jailor, kaaliya, samba, Raheem chacha,Ramlaal including that Barber.

I remember all Hindu villagers want Jai aur Veeru out of the village, and an old hapless Muslim elderly gentlemen advises all that Jai aur Veeru should stay. Salim0Javed ishtyle

18 hours ago, Under_Score said:

I feel Sholay was inspired by Western Classic blockbuster flics....Gabbar Singh character looks like a copy of this villain El Indio

From 2:29 - 4:05, it felt like a Hindi serial after the pious mother's 19-yr old unmarried daughter reveals she is pregnant and they go around the room showing how exactly Tauji, Mausa, Mausi, Naukar, Naukrani, Veerji and of course evil Buaji feel about it.     

11 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I remember all Hindu villagers want Jai aur Veeru out of the village, and an old hapless Muslim elderly gentlemen advises all that Jai aur Veeru should stay. Salim0Javed ishtyle

Har cheez mein Hindu Muslim!

:rolleyes:

Absolutely NO ONE cares for or notices these things. IMO, they aren't even significant in the context of Sholay. Everyone enjoys the movie for what it is: a masala movie with iconic dialogues.

16 minutes ago, mishra said:

I think he made the comment in jest.

On another note:

A few years ago, I was ( among others) a guest/judge at Sophia College's festival called Kaleidoscope. It is a girl's College. They had a scene spoofing contest.

Two girls recreated the "mere paas na hai" scene.

The taller girl who essayed the role of Bachchan had a gravelly voice and went on a huge monologue:

Mere paas buildgingein hain, bangla hai, I phone hai, dock charger hai, I pad mini hai.... On and on for two minutes...tumhare paas kya hai. Hain.?

The shorter girl who played Shashi Kapoor: With a contorted expression replied- Can you repeat the question?

I found that hilarious.

Edited by Mariyam

Somehow, I don't recollect much of the Hollywood movies that I see. Nor am I able to associate much with them.

There would be a 100 Bollywood movies where I'd have felt very bad for a certain character or in extreme cases even shed a few tears. Somehow, even the good/commercially sucessful Hollywood movies do not leave any impact.

I don't know which version of jaws it was, but I couldn't see it beyond 20-30 mins. Ditto Godfather. Don't get the hype. Couldn't watch it in one sitting. Even the book was so so.

Aside of Schindler's list and Fault in our stars, don't think I've been emotionally invested in any Hollywood movie.

Anyone else feel the same?

5 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Somehow, I don't recollect much of the Hollywood movies that I see. Nor am I able to associate much with them.

There would be a 100 Bollywood movies where I'd have felt very bad for a certain character or in extreme cases even shed a few tears. Somehow, even the good/commercially sucessful Hollywood movies do not leave any impact.

I don't know which version of jaws it was, but I couldn't see it beyond 20-30 mins. Ditto Godfather. Don't get the hype. Couldn't watch it in one sitting. Even the book was so so.

Aside of Schindler's list and Fault in our stars, don't think I've been emotionally invested in any Hollywood movie.

Anyone else feel the same?

Quite opposite. I watch very few Bollywood movies which I find OK.

I truly enjoy Hollywood movies but I do like mindless entertainment.

Two of the movies you have Schindlers list and Fault in our Stars I have not seen because I dont like Fault in our star type movies. These chic flicks are not for me.

I can have very little common ground with someone who does not like Godfather. For the last century that was the best made movie. One of the top directors with Marlon Brando, James Caan, Al Pacino, Diane Keaton and you have a masterpiece. I can watch the last scene 100x when Michael becomes the godfather. Kiss the ring, shutting Diane out and closing the door, background music is just a masterpiece. Nothing comes close. Scenes are top and dialogues are best.

Top dialogue from a movie ever is from godfather. "Keep your friends close and enemies closer." I do not get you if you dont like Godfather but to each their own.

I am not a sophisticated movie watcher as you can see from my taste that Sholay and Godfather are benchmark for me.

18 hours ago, mishra said:

Barber - Hariram nayi, played by  Keshto Mukherjee. Before VHS, the movie soundtrack (with all dialogue) would get released in cassette tapes. We had Sholay and I used to listen to it repeat mode. When I saw a rerun in a theatre  I would repeat all dialogues like a mantra. Sholay was my favorite movie. Later, saw all the H movies it was inspired from.  Still watch Sholay for the kicks

Edited by coffee_rules

12 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Har cheez mein Hindu Muslim!

:rolleyes:

Absolutely NO ONE cares for or notices these things. IMO, they aren't even significant in the context of Sholay. Everyone enjoys the movie for what it is: a masala movie with iconic dialogues.

was not bringing it out seriously, anyhow there were many Muslims among the villagers also, not just Raheem chacha. you could have caught my lie. Even this scene was “inspired” from the Magnificent Seven where the villagers would want to give up these heroes when Eli Wallach kills a few of their own. M7 is a remake itself copied from Kurusawa’s Seven Samurai. 

The funny thing in Sholay is, all police had to do to find Gabbar’s den was to run and scream his name, riding a horse near his den. In both instances, Sanjeev Kumar in the middle and in the end Dharmendra find his den in that manner.

Edited by coffee_rules