How many like for like international players can replace the current Indian players?

Across formats.

I saw a thread on a forum that shall  not be named comparing Chahal vs Shadab Khan which got me thinking.

While Chahal is a much better bowler, as a total package, batting and fielding would Shadab replace Chahal?

I think so

International players then can replace Chahal: Shadab Khan, Rashid Khan (no brainer), Adil Rashid (equal in bowling and fielding  but a better batsman). I don’t think Zampa or Ish Sodhi will get ahead of him though.

Pujara- Root/ Smith/Williamson @zen ur views :phehe:

Iyer- Morgan/ Maxwell. That’s about it. May be Pooran in T20. That’s about it.

Sundar- he isn’t even the best off spin allrounder in the country that would be Ashwin but don’t see other offspin allrounders ahead of him in world cricket. 

Kohli,Rohit,Bumrah- None

Shami- Pat Cummins in Odi maybe but in tests and T20 will pick Shami 

Bhuvi- Hazelwood (debatable) but that’s about it I guess. Southee can hit the ball but Bhuvi is a better bowler.

Pant- Butler in Odis and T20 but Pant in tests.

Rahane- Labuschagne, Stokes the batsman.

Natarajan- Starc,Boult,Shaheen Shah,Sam Curran (as a total package) . I know unfair on Nattu though as he is still a rookie but as left arm option he is competing with some of the best.

Sky/Kishen- jury is out as they just made their debut so giving them some leeway.

Siraj- Just like Nattu it is unfair but he loses out to Hazelwood (in tests), Woakes (total package as an allrounder).

Pandya- Holder (in tests). He is the best utility cricketer in the world so irreplaceable in LoI format. Stokes is in a different category/ league now.

Jadeja- Shakib in LOI’s. In tests you can’t replace one of the best spinners in the world 

Anyone else? Still missing a few names.

21 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Pujara- Root/ Smith/Williamson @zen ur views :phehe:

Why would I replace Ind's most impactful test batsman since 1990 when I can replace others with Root, Smith & Williamson :dontknow:

In fact, Pujara is among the few Indian players who can make it in a global test 11 

Williamson

Pujara

Root

Smith 

Stokes

Pant

Sakib

Cummins

Lyon

Anderson/Wagner/Rabada (role specific)

Bumrah 

Edited by zen
Just now, kohli said:

What is like for like replacement.

batsman for batsman ( simple) or slow batsman for slow batsman , hitter batsman for hitter batsman ?

yes. For example, Umesh is a 140k bowler who can get great seam movement or plays as an enforcer in a 3 man attack. You can’t replace him with Boult (for the sake of this discussion) just because Boult is also a fast bowler. Different types of bowlers. So Umesh is competing with similar bowlers who play a similar role  like Cummins, Hassan Ali, Wagner etc (even though Wagner is not a seam bowler but more like the enforcer)

10 minutes ago, zen said:

Why would I replace Ind's most impactful test batsman since 1990 when I can replace others with Root, Smith & Williamson :dontknow:

In fact, Pujara is among the few Indian players who can make it in a global test 11 

Williamson

Pujara

Root

Smith 

Stokes

Pant

Sakib

Cummins

Lyon

Anderson/Wagner/Rabada (role specific)

Bumrah 

that team looks very one dimensional 

just take the last line up that played for India in tests. Replace Pujara with Root/Smith and Rahane with Stokes/Willamson/Labu and Indian team looks unbeatable. All 3 Stokes,Root and Williamson can bowl and Labu/Smith started their careers as bowlers.

4 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

that team looks very one dimensional 

just take the last line up that played for India in tests. Replace Pujara with Root/Smith and Rahane with Stokes/Willamson/Labu and Indian team looks unbeatable. All 3 Stokes,Root and Williamson can bowl and Labu/Smith started their careers as bowlers.

Where do guys like Rohit, who only played in favorable conditions (missing tough NZ tour and the difficult first two tests in Aus for e.g.) and Gill (only in his first season), etc. offer more dimensions than proven performers over a few series such as Pujara (Eng 2018, Aus 2018-19, Aus 20-21), Smith, Roots, etc.? ... Only in the minds of certain Ind fans :lol:

Edited by zen
4 minutes ago, zen said:

Where do guys like Rohit, who only played in favorable conditions (missing tough NZ tour and the difficult first two tests in Aus for e.g.) and Gill (only in his first season), etc. offer more dimensions than proven performers over a few series such as Pujara (Eng 2018, Aus 2018-19, Aus 20-21), Smith, Roots, etc.? ... Only in the minds of certain Ind fans :lol:

No one will pick Williamson or Smith in LOI’s over Rohit. In tests he is an opener so he is not competing with them even in LOI’s for the matter of fact. These 3 play in the top order 3-5 which is Kohli,Rahane and Pujara. 

Kohli is ahead of them as an all format player so it’s only Pujara and Rahane and  only a Pujara fan will pick him over Smith,Root and Williamson even in test format :laugh1:

Just now, Global.Baba said:

No one will pick Williamson or Smith in LOI’s over Rohit. In tests he is an opener so he is not competing with them even in LOI’s for the matter of fact. These 3 play in the top order 3-5 which is Kohli,Rahane and Pujara. 

We were discussing Tests, i presume ... I would rather open with Pujara and Williamson than someone like Rohit in tests ... Also top order = 1 to 3 ; Middle order = 4 to 7 (upper MO 4 & 5, lower MO 6 & 7)

Kohli is ahead of them as an all format player so it’s only Pujara and Rahane and  only a Pujara fan will pick him over Smith,Root and Williamson even in test format :laugh1:

I agree that Kohli is ahead as an all format batsman 

1 minute ago, zen said:

We were discussing Tests, i presume ... I would rather open with Pujara and Williamson than someone like Rohit in tests ... Also top order = 1 to 3 ; Middle order = 4 to 7 (upper MO 4 & 5, lower MO 6 & 7)

I agree that Kohli is ahead as an all format batsman 

so if you had an option of Pujara vs say one of Smith,Root,Williamson, you think it is the smarter decision to pick Pujara :hmmm:

Just now, Global.Baba said:

so if you had an option of Pujara vs say one of Smith,Root,Williamson, you think it is the smarter decision to pick Pujara :hmmm:

As I said, why would I replace Pujara, the king of Ind's top order, when I can replace others with Smith, Roots & Williamson in an Ind Test 11 

18 minutes ago, zen said:

As I said, why would I replace Pujara, the king of Ind's top order, when I can replace others with Smith, Roots & Williamson in an Ind Test 11 

One thing about Pujara though watching him bat has helped a lot of people. There used to be a Pujara fan on this forum called ChePujara the don. Pujara’s boring batting eventually broke him so much that he decided to pick up the super exciting adrenaline pumping sport of Chess as his main thing @FischerTal @Laaloo

Talking about Pujara, how many Overseas Tests and Series have the other players won or saved singlehandedly. He is the reason we won in Aus twice. He has taken body blows so many time and has carried on. No ..I would not be replacing him either 

Edited by nitinbwj