India: Covid - II

kepler37b

18 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

We had boosters too. But it looks like a lot more people got it in this 3rd wave. I feel it is just flu and the rapid tests gave out a false positive 

Any reason why Death rate is too high in US? Anything to do with obesity? UK India and Australia seems to be doing better with Omicron

Edited by ash

6 hours ago, Clarke said:

@BacktoCricaddict

What's the approx number of lives saved by the vaccines ? Maybe 10 million or more ? Not that it matters to the tin foil hat crowd, just curious.

(1) All 28 vaccines put together:  Very difficult to calculate absolute numbers because we don't really know what would've happened if there was no small pox vaccine - how would it have spread?  How would it have affected population counts?  But a conservative estimate is 3 million per year.  The biggest impact and increase in this count will come with the new malaria vaccine that has been approved - malaria is the biggest killer and one that no one talks about.  

(2) CoVid-19:  In the US alone, 1 million deaths and over 10 million hospitalizations have been avoided.  But, that is not considering how much more rapidly the virus would've ripped through populations, how much more it would have evolved and how many more people would have been infected if the vaccines did not put the brakes on it.

It is understandable but disconcerting to see people completely dismiss the effect of vaccines in keeping infections down and slowing down transmission, based on anecdotal information.  Understandable because we hear about so many breakthroughs.  Right here on ICF, so many vaccinated/boosted folks have been infected.  But the data show (and I have posted this elsewhere) that, for Omicron, vaccines have decreased transmission by >2-fold.  And severe disease and death-prevention have been off-the-charts successful.  

One of the reasons for this dismissal is that we humans suffer from "base-rate bias."  

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

We had boosters too. But it looks like a lot more people got it in this 3rd wave. I feel it is just flu and the rapid tests gave out a false positive 

Hmm .... The rapid antigen home-tests are more likely to give false negatives.  RT-PCRs are more "noisy" and likely to give false positives because they are much more sensitive, can pick up even small amounts of genetic material (including RNA from dead virus).     

Bottom line:  Glad you're okay, but ease yourself back in to the grind.  

1 hour ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Full vaccination doesn't stop you from getting the virus. 

But if you end up getting it anyway, the symptoms are much less severe than they would have been. And you can treat it with OTC medication :thumb:

Full vaccination doesn't stop you from getting the virus. 

Technically, you are correct.  But this statement has been misunderstood and misused to push the narrative that vaccines are useless at stopping infection and transmission.  It is estimated that the vaccines prevent infections at 2x rate.  And there is a multiplicative effect in populations when more and more people are vaccinated and their chances of getting infected are 2x lower.  

But if you end up getting it anyway, the symptoms are much less severe than they would have been. And you can treat it with OTC medication :thumb:

True. 

Of course, it is best to not get it at all.  Even if you are vaccinated/boosted, wear good masks in crowded indoor locations and avoid unnecessary gatherings.  

22 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Hmm .... The rapid antigen home-tests are more likely to give false negatives.  RT-PCRs are more "noisy" and likely to give false positives because they are much more sensitive, can pick up even small amounts of genetic material (including RNA from dead virus).     

Bottom line:  Glad you're okay, but ease yourself back in to the grind.  

Yes, when I talked to a nurse, she said the same, more likely to get false negatives than false positive with Rapid tests. I asked for some steroids or antibiotics to get some relief from the wheezing cough. She declined and administered only cough syrup and advil for body aches. Last time I had such flu was more than 2 years back. Recovered from it, also she said to isolate and not do more tests, as it is likely to show positive for some more time (60 days)

Edited by coffee_rules

10 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Yes, when I talked to a nurse, she said the same, more likely to get false negatives than false positive with Rapid tests. I asked for some steroids or antibiotics to get some relief from the wheezing cough. She declined and administered only cough syrup and advil for body aches. Last time I had such flu was more than 2 years back. Recovered from it, also she said to isolate and not do more tests, as it is likely to show positive for some more time (60 days)

I bought 2 sets of these rapid test kits. Now that I know it could show false negative, I wont take the negative result seriously but at least positive result will provide more lead time in case needed. 

My best strategy for the past 2 years is avoid everything. Only issue is my school going kido. I am very close to her we had to even test her once last week and it turned to be negative but damn thing took 72 hours. I havent used my rapid test yet. 

Plan is get one of us tested in a lab vs others doing rapid test. If Rapid test are negative then wait for lab results. If rapid tests turn positive then we know it quickly. 

A friend of mine got it in NZ and 3 weeks and he is still coughing. He claims that it is much milder cough now. He got it despite having his booster a while back. 

3 hours ago, beetle said:

This.

It is amazing how malaria is not considered the biggest killer and how little media attention has gone into it. Maybe because it is more of a third world problem.

No doubt.  Also, it does not spread via direct human-human contact and so, somehow, we don't "mehsoos" it in the same way.  

7 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

hahaha. atleast you're honest with it. enzerbungbung wanted me banned too but doesn't say it out loud. you guys should try living in china or the now communist australia. i hear bungbung is enjoying when he receives orders from police and authority. we live in a psuedo democratic country and this is a cricket forum where free speech is still alive. get used to it

What fun would there be if the Pinjata got banned? :(