India: Covid - II

kepler37b

2 hours ago, kepler37b said:

The daily infection rate has climbed to 68k pretty quickly. The general populace is blissfully/willfully ignorant of all precautions. This time, I will NOT be surprised if we touch 2L cases per day. 

40k of these are from Maharashtra.

The number of active cases in Maharashtra are 215k, while those in UP and Bengal are under 4k. Those places are also densely populated. The discrepancy is shocking.

What does one make of this?

Looks like very few state governments are actually taking Covid seriously: Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, TN and Rajasthan. Maybe Delhi. The rest of them are using it as an opportunity to usurp aid from the centre. Are the others even carrying out tests on the required scale?

A lockdown is not possible now, it would cripple the economy. The central govt vaccine policy is shocking. They put all their money on Astrazeneca, which is now showing less efficacy to the variants than the mRna Moderna and Pzifer vaccines. Even now there is no attempt from the government to look for an mRNA alternative. 

The vaccine drive has been pathetic. There is absolutely no rush from the public to vaccinate themselves. I expected a vaccine drive like polio, with constant messaging and advertisement reaching every nook and corner, but there has been no attempt like that from the central government. With vaccines readily available, the condition of vaccinating only over 60 makes no sense, why stop people who actually want to vaccinate? Pathetic

I think one big learning from last one year is to just not look at wrong kpis. The number of cases in India means nothing. Perhaps more that 40% already has had it. It is also a function of testing. I would look at deaths per million and hospital capacities. 

Everything else is bunkum at this point. 

1 hour ago, ravishingravi said:

I think one big learning from last one year is to just not look at wrong kpis. The number of cases in India means nothing. Perhaps more that 40% already has had it. It is also a function of testing. I would look at deaths per million and hospital capacities. 

It is a measure of our failure to follow guidelines. Sucks to admit we're not gonna do what is required in personal & common interest. 

2 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

+1 

3 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Deaths per million population is not a good metric.

Death per million ( or lakh) of those confirmed with Covid is a far better indicator of how our health care apparatus is able to cope.

18 hours ago, kepler37b said:

We are like undisciplined mongrels. We deserve this chaos.

Pretty much every country has covid fatigue now. US had riots over this issue, didn't stop the government from speeding up vaccination though. This is just a failure of both central and state governments

1 hour ago, ash said:

Pretty much every country has covid fatigue now. US had riots over this issue, didn't stop the government from speeding up vaccination though. This is just a failure of both central and state governments

Beg to differ here. Did not see this brainless chaos in East Asia. 

17 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Yeah absolutely. I have to agree with that. 

That is precisely the mortality rate stat is for. Deaths among Covid positives. It is higher among 60+ age group. But the mortality rate of India is lower than most countries. Also , this is all moot, because a lot of them would have gotten the virus and recovered as well without being reported as positive cases

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I think lockdowns are bad. For 1. Economic activity 2. Health related activity - like going to parks. Better strategy would be to ease the pressure during pandemic (like free ration, office on alternate days, WFH etc.) And slowly let the societal immunity build. Thankfully leaders are waking up to the fact that lockdowns are detrimental overall.

1 hour ago, randomGuy said:

I think lockdowns are bad. For 1. Economic activity 2. Health related activity - like going to parks. Better strategy would be to ease the pressure during pandemic (like free ration, office on alternate days, WFH etc.) And slowly let the societal immunity build. Thankfully leaders are waking up to the fact that lockdowns are detrimental overall.

Unfortunately not all offices do that. It also depends on client requirements and conditions when you are working. I am in IT sector, and for my company, the client has specifically instructed that all work must be done coming to the office and connecting through the company's server, for security reasons. So there is no scope to work from home in my case. It's either work or leave. For other client projects in my company , there is a work from home option.