India: Covid - II

kepler37b

Asking a very simple question. I know @BacktoCricaddict had spoken about importance of stats. So, here is the question. How do we know situation is good, ok, bad, nightmare in Indian context. Statistically. If so, what are we looking at ? Cases / Deaths? Trend / Benchmark ? 

I really think apart from hysteria I am not able to see any clear sense of the problem. Yes, 185 k cases and 1000 deaths today. Yes, very very unfortunate. Let’s say it’s understated. Let’s 1 million cases and 2000 deaths today. I am exaggerating considering our lack of testing and considering the skeptics views on deaths. The base here is 1,4 billion. 

Now here is trend in US for comparison sake, which 1/4 of India’s population at 37 million. Now again, I am not trying to belittle the situation. Just trying to understand where we stand really. It goes without saying that each life matters. But we are not a priveleged. Problems of economic shutdown will be much worse than corona for majority of our population. I don’t think hysteria will help in India. People who can afford should not leave homes and those who can’t will have to. This first world order cannot be imposed in India. Lockdowns are anyway a lazy solution of poor administrations. This virus is going nowhere for next 5 years atleast. There will be mutations and we will learn to live with it. I am just not sure if hysteria is making us look at the situation differently especially for a country like India which has much more mortality from TB, diabetes, cardio vascular diseases, dengue etc. 

https://www.google.fr/search?q=covid+cases+united+states&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=fr-fr&client=safari#wptab=s:H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLVT9c3NMwySk6OL8zJecTYxMgt8PLHPWGpyklrTl5jLOYS901NyUzOzEt1ySxOTSxO9clPTizJzM8T0uNic80rySypFFLhEpRCNUeDQYqfC1VISIOLA65XhotXilM_V9_AMtm83ACompsLweXZxcTtkZqYU5IRXJJYUryIVTI5vywzRSEZaHuxQmleZklqikIxUCq1GAChrmz5wQAAAA

18 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

more mortality from TB, diabetes, cardio vascular diseases, dengue etc. 

yeah but are they equally infectious ? do they contribute to similar levels of critical care needs as a percentage of infected individuals ? those are the parameters that necessitate special view for covid 19

1 hour ago, ravishingravi said:

Asking a very simple question. I know @BacktoCricaddict had spoken about importance of stats. So, here is the question. How do we know situation is good, ok, bad, nightmare in Indian context. Statistically. If so, what are we looking at ? Cases / Deaths? Trend / Benchmark ? 

I really think apart from hysteria I am not able to see any clear sense of the problem. Yes, 185 k cases and 1000 deaths today. Yes, very very unfortunate. Let’s say it’s understated. Let’s 1 million cases and 2000 deaths today. I am exaggerating considering our lack of testing and considering the skeptics views on deaths. The base here is 1,4 billion. 

Now here is trend in US for comparison sake, which 1/4 of India’s population at 37 million. Now again, I am not trying to belittle the situation. Just trying to understand where we stand really. It goes without saying that each life matters. But we are not a priveleged. Problems of economic shutdown will be much worse than corona for majority of our population. I don’t think hysteria will help in India. People who can afford should not leave homes and those who can’t will have to. This first world order cannot be imposed in India. Lockdowns are anyway a lazy solution of poor administrations. This virus is going nowhere for next 5 years atleast. There will be mutations and we will learn to live with it. I am just not sure if hysteria is making us look at the situation differently especially for a country like India which has much more mortality from TB, diabetes, cardio vascular diseases, dengue etc. 

https://www.google.fr/search?q=covid+cases+united+states&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=fr-fr&client=safari#wptab=s:H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLVT9c3NMwySk6OL8zJecTYxMgt8PLHPWGpyklrTl5jLOYS901NyUzOzEt1ySxOTSxO9clPTizJzM8T0uNic80rySypFFLhEpRCNUeDQYqfC1VISIOLA65XhotXilM_V9_AMtm83ACompsLweXZxcTtkZqYU5IRXJJYUryIVTI5vywzRSEZaHuxQmleZklqikIxUCq1GAChrmz5wQAAAA

The  main thing is look at Is Hospital are they able to cope and also when cases increase  research how quickly you are able find mutation or changes what causing increase and act accordingly(USA is lot better in both fields)if these can't be done properly  countries risk Chaos and greater long term damages , look at Brazil which is comparable India  in weather and development with much less population. They have more young people(less than 40) in ICU then old according to data and they reported like 4000 deaths in day maybe even underreporting with Indian population its like 25,000 day 

And you mention India many people form, diabetes, cardio vascular diseases, dengue etc. now think India which struggle cope with this disease which does spread so fast then what would happen if COVID went the Brazilian way in India 

23 hours ago, ash said:

According to some people here, India does not have the infra or resources to do this. 

Yes India might not have infrastructure but they need to start building it, If India wants truly be global power they need start building it and we need ready on future and research and data is needed to get out of current crisis 

Edited by rising

18 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Hearing scary stories about hospitals not admitting Covid patients in Bengaluru, with number of cases rising every day. Just 15 days back we were discussing how cases were plummeting in India.

These are new varuants that spread faster

Its scary. Aparently even babies are dieing in Brazil. This is not going well for man kind. Massive Rampup of vaccination program is needed. Eff You China

29 minutes ago, mishra said:

Its scary. Aparently even babies are dieing in Brazil. This is not going well for man kind. Massive Rampup of vaccination program is needed. Eff You China

Even in Hyderabad, the beds are done. This unexpected surge hit every one like a Cold knife. 

The most shocking thing is that people are going ahead with religious rituals, functions and marriages. 

This society never learns.

maibaap sarkaar can only do somethings, everybody has a collective responsibility in handling the pandemic. People are going about doing stuff they normally do and expecting a lockdown. Night curfews are a waste, while people should own up doing distancing, masks etc. Some people act as though Covid is history. Journalists are busy counting deaths and qualifying them as how many poor, castewise etc are dying. Left is worried about not vaccinating fast enough, when the cases were plummetting they were asking why are we investing in vaccinations. This phase will peak in end of May, is the speculation. 

11 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

maibaap sarkaar can only do somethings, everybody has a collective responsibility in handling the pandemic. People are going about doing stuff they normally do and expecting a lockdown. Night curfews are a waste, while people should own up doing distancing, masks etc. Some people act as though Covid is history. Journalists are busy counting deaths and qualifying them as how many poor, castewise etc are dying. Left is worried about not vaccinating fast enough, when the cases were plummetting they were asking why are we investing in vaccinations. This phase will peak in end of May, is the speculation. 

I will be honest with you. I went to India in decemeber 2020 and since I went there from West, I was surprised to exten that I myself lost fear of Corona and started feeling just like every other Indian that Corona is NOT at all lethal against Indians. Infact when i came back, I felt UK govmt is lieing. But seeing the condition of India now, initially, It came as sheer disbelief but now feel school reopening has massive role to play in Corona spread.

. I recall no memes shared by Indian frnds on whatsapp group for past 3-4 month and now suddenly we have Corona memes and news. So in my opinion, both gvmnt and Indian let their gurds down and were feeling that there is no Corona to Indians

Edited by mishra

In India, there are families who shop for produce every single day. Markets are flooded. Those who already got Covid, are roaming like rambo on the streets, flaunting that they are indispensable. These are not rare. Majority of them are doing that. I think every subsequent infection will weaken your organs no matter how strong your immunity is. If individual gets infected 4-5 times in next 5 years, could have 10+% damage to their lungs. I am no expert in the field but this is what my gut feels.

Because of our population, we should also understand that we do not have capacity to handle pandemic. We dont, we never will in another 50-100 years. No amount of planning, resources and discipline can control population of this size in the area of a country like India. Not much land. Lockdown is the only way. 

$Hutiye log, $Hutiye governments, $Hutiye administrative institutions, take everything very lightly.

You all think that if we immunize 100% population then it is done?. I dont think so. Fully immunized individual can carry the virus but wont be affected much. That means virus will still survive. It will still spread, it just that not as many people will die. But as I said earlier, it weakens you with every turn ever so slightly, but it does.

Do not take it lightly. Just freaking stay indoor and go out only if it is absolutely necessary.

28 minutes ago, mishra said:

I will be honest with you. I went to India in decemeber 2020 and since I went there from West, I was surprised to exten that I myself lost fear of Corona and started feeling just like every other Indian that Corona is NOT at all lethal against Indians. Infact when i came back, I felt UK govmt is lieing. But seeing the condition of India now, initially, It came as sheer disbelief but now feel school reopening has massive role to play in Corona spread.

. I recall no memes shared by Indian frnds on whatsapp group for past 3-4 month and now suddenly we have Corona memes and news. So in my opinion, both gvmnt and Indian let their gurds down and were feeling that there is no Corona to Indians

I had a friend who worked remotely in India during nov/dec as even schools were remote, they all attended school and work from India. They went to India and stayed in a AirBNB apt, luxurious and furnished etc. He was telling how his group of friends would meet every week in parties, and did road trips to all over India. Went to Varnasi, Goa, Vishakapatnam, beach parties etc. We were here couped up in our house and he was making us feel bad. Now, we know why it was important to do self-lockdown even if govt is not enforcing.

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Hearing scary stories about hospitals not admitting Covid patients in Bengaluru, with number of cases rising every day. Just 15 days back we were discussing how cases were plummeting in India.

These are new varuants that spread faster

But less severe

1 hour ago, dial_100 said:

In India, there are families who shop for produce every single day. Markets are flooded. Those who already got Covid, are roaming like rambo on the streets, flaunting that they are indispensable. These are not rare. Majority of them are doing that. I think every subsequent infection will weaken your organs no matter how strong your immunity is. If individual gets infected 4-5 times in next 5 years, could have 10+% damage to their lungs. I am no expert in the field but this is what my gut feels.

Because of our population, we should also understand that we do not have capacity to handle pandemic. We dont, we never will in another 50-100 years. No amount of planning, resources and discipline can control population of this size in the area of a country like India. Not much land. Lockdown is the only way. 

$Hutiye log, $Hutiye governments, $Hutiye administrative institutions, take everything very lightly.

You all think that if we immunize 100% population then it is done?. I dont think so. Fully immunized individual can carry the virus but wont be affected much. That means virus will still survive. It will still spread, it just that not as many people will die. But as I said earlier, it weakens you with every turn ever so slightly, but it does.

Do not take it lightly. Just freaking stay indoor and go out only if it is absolutely necessary.

More people will die from depression than covid. 

55 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

Summed up very well. 

As we speak, my Father-in-Law is insistent over me attending a wedding of his distant relative. People have completely become stupid.  

We have to live with this. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. People should live their life like they were before. It's not even that fatal.