Enduring memories as an Team India fan from 96-2001, when India was utterly mediocre and apparently talentless

43 minutes ago, nevada said:

Talent was there even in that era. Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly,  Srinath , Kumble, old but still good Azhar - that's plenty of talent. The results sucked and that's a different story.I left out Laxman because his breakout happened with Kolkata 2001, which is kinda out of or on the very border of the era being discussed in this topic.

thats just 5 odd players.  And even out of 5 odd players - A knock here or there - Ganguly was very very mediocre as a test batter outside the subcontinent. 

Dravids breakout also happened after 2001. He was  good before that but he just went several notches up after that. Remember how he failed in Aus in 99. 

basically we had 2.5 good batsmen and 2 good bowlers.

and the results showed. 

Edited by rangeelaraja
1 hour ago, saik said:

Remember the test  SriLanka scored 900 against us. That was traumatic

Yep. Nilesh Kulkarni took a wicket with his first ball in test cricket, it was just hellish thereafter. I remember SRT as skipper saying after the match SL made no effort to win, they literally batted for (what felt like) 4 days

On 3/30/2021 at 4:54 PM, rangeelaraja said:

I hated Jayasuriya to the hilt. I felt angry and frustrated as to how a sub-30 averaging (which he did at that time) could literally treat all our bowlers as pedestrians. I hated him because I knew that he was FTB par excellence who would just bully on flat tracks in Asia and Sharjah and did not last against bowlers of then alpha teams like Aus, RSA. He was the most punchable face for me in cricket then for how he would smash Prasad and Srinath.

I used to get excited at the sight of any Indian bowler who could bowl 130+, had high hopes from Mohanty given how bare the cupboards were back then.

Then someone called Tinu Yohannan came to the scene, built and tall, the media likened him to our own West Indian kind of bowler. I was super excited and thought we are now going to give it back to Pak. But boy, did he turn out to be a big bodied trundler.

Just a few of the memories...

Great post.. couldnt stop laughing.. i remember i had sleepless nights before india played SL. We used to call him a butcher.. there was conspiracy theories that he had a steel plate inside his bat..3 innings of his i remember very well

1. Group league 1996 against India

2. Qtr final against England

3. Asia cup 2008 even in that old age

he absolutely ended the contest in first two matches.. ended odi careet of Artherton Prabhakar.. such brutal hitting.. people said why cant Indian moms produce a jayasurya lol.. 

8 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

Ganguly was very very mediocre as a test batter outside the subcontinent. 

Actually it was Ganguly who was better in SENA tests between 1996 to 2000. If you check he played good innings in Aus 2000 ( few good fifties) , NZ 1998 ( century) and South Africa 1996/97. He anyways was MOS in Eng 1996 .. he rather failed in subcontinent..

9 hours ago, AuxiliA said:

Recently found out that from 1986 to 2001 we had won just 1 oversees test (that too in SriLanka). I mean damn! 

Nowadays even after beating Australia twice in a row at their home and bullying teams like WI & SL at theirs, current fans say our oversees performance in underwhelming. Good for them that they didn't have to endure the 90s.

We shd have won against windies chasing 120. We should have won in Jo berg ( Cullinan and Rain saved South Africa) . We shd have won against Zim. We couldn’t chase 240 odd. 

13 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

I remember Amay Khurasiya, Doda Ganesh, Ritinder Singh Sodhi, Gagan Khodda. 

Don’t forget to add Sarandeep Singh, Bhupinder Singh, Vijay Bharadwaj ( i liked him actually.. very handy bowler), Jacob Martin , Atul Bedade, Noel David, Sujith Somasundar ( huge expectations.. someone said the best bat in india), pankaj dharmani,vijay yadav, sanjay raul, s sriram, gyanendra pandey, vijay dahiya..hell India gave out National team caps like candies in halloween night.. still cant fathom why the hell Amol Mazumder missed out

Edited by neel roy
28 minutes ago, Vilander said:

India was Jayasuryas b@#$ team. Lol his forearms hehe..man he used to beat the crap out of India..

Just imagine Venkatesh Prasad or Ashish Kapoor bowling on a flat deck in India / Lanka and Jaysurya batting on 18 off 10 balls.. you can close your eyes and feel the impending carnage for real.. worse nightmare than Wes Craven or Sam Raimins horror movies.. and the sad face of Nayan Mongia behind..

2 hours ago, neel roy said:

Don’t forget to add Sarandeep Singh, Bhupinder Singh, Vijay Bharadwaj ( i liked him actually.. very handy bowler), Jacob Martin , Atul Bedade, Noel David, Sujith Somasundar ( huge expectations.. someone said the best bat in india), pankaj dharmani,vijay yadav, sanjay raul, s sriram, gyanendra pandey, vijay dahiya..hell India gave out National team caps like candies in halloween night.. still cant fathom why the hell Amol Mazumder missed out

We got tv in 1999 and cable in 2008. So didn't watch many of those. 

48 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Just imagine Venkatesh Prasad or Ashish Kapoor bowling on a flat deck in India / Lanka and Jaysurya batting on 18 off 10 balls.. you can close your eyes and feel the impending carnage for real.. worse nightmare than Wes Craven or Sam Raimins horror movies.. and the sad face of Nayan Mongia behind..

He even transfered some of his mojo to a mini me version of his kaluviratharana his side kick. Hehe..

Jayasuriya-and-Kaluwitharana-e1589442789

Edited by Vilander

Enduring memories stemming from severe trauma.  Luckily, I had minimal contact with cricket those years.  I had moved to the US, the internet was not so robust, and keeping up with cricinfo scoreboards and rediff (!!) reports by Prem Panicker (IIRC) was my only contact.  After Eden 2001, I actually ordered a DVD (how many of you all know what that is) of the highlights!  

3 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Lol I still remember Tony Greigs voice.. oh Little Kaluuu what a shot

Man finally when Dhoni beat the crap out of Lanka and then indian fastbowlers made a number on them in Aus. India invited them home and beat then again and again, then pathan bros manhandled them in t20 game. It was complete irreversible beat down. They beat a shell of an old adversary in 2011. 

10 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:
  • Jayasuria
  • MArk waugh
  • Anwar
  • Kirsten
  • Aravinda de silva
  • Chanderpaul 
  • Ricardo powel 
  • Saqlain

Nightmares 

Its so funny England in those days were considered to be the easy pushovers in odis.the 1990 s england team had jack of all trades but average in all players like hollioake brothers, mark ealham,ronnie irani, dean headley,ali brown, robert croft, allan mullaly. ( ganguly spanked the hell of his left arm medium pace bowling in Lords debut) dougie browne,Chris Adams, Vikram Solankis of the world..just compare this to now:)

7 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Man finally when Dhoni beat the crap out of Lanka and then indian fastbowlers made a number on them in Aus. India invited them home and beat then again and again, then pathan bros manhandled them in t20 game. It was complete irreversible beat down. They beat a shell of an old adversary in 2011. 

I think the genesis was Taunton..they never recovered.. 

18 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

I remember how he wore a bandana and acted all macho and stuff.  Was brought in because of his aggressive batting in the Sehwag mould. He flopped in a couple of matches against Pak and SL and did not play for India again 

He made a Fifty on debut and because of that was selected for World Cup 1999 even though he didn't get a game.