Box office players this IPL- picking 2 per team

Global.Baba

Box office not exactly from an  elite player standpoint or players from a purist stand point but these are  players that even the casual fan will tune in to watch just for that rush of adrenaline they bring.

Let me start of with 2 names that I might get immediate backlash for :p:

:mi:

Hardik Pandya: sure there will be more frustrations here than celebrations but when he gets it right, the guy is definitely one of the most entertaining cricketers out there. Yes his antics are cringe but as a cricketer, absolute box office. Sir Don indeed.

SKY: Rohit is elite right. Ishan was a close contender and Bumrah is more exciting to watch in tests than T20 for me personally. T20 bowling is about skill and brains so the natural flair of fast bowling goes a little missing for me unlike test cricket. Anyways the reason I picked SKY is because damn this guy has hit a purple patch and can’t seem to put a foot down right now. Well done. Silenced his haters  which included me.

other considerations: Rohit,Bumrah,Ishan,Pollard (don’t enjoy his batting)

:csk:

Probably the easiest team for anyone to see who the exciting players are.

Sam Curran: one of the most exciting young allrounders in the world. Always seems to contribute and be part of the action.

Mooen Ali: decent bowler and a fantastic striker of the ball. Capable of destructive knocks on these pitches.

Other considerations:  Thakur, Chepu (will tune in for the lulz)

:rr:

Samson: exciting player and loads of talent but inconsistent. Just like HP, if he is in the zone then stop what you are doing and watch him bat and  you will not be disappointed.

Butler: best in the world when it comes to LoI format. Still hasn’t hit his strides this IPL. Easy pick.

Other considerations: Stokes,Archer,Morris,Tyagi

:kkr1:

Russell: Self explanatory

Ferguson: unleash him.

Other considerations: DK, Morgan

:hs:

Bairstow: destructive player and has  a no holds barred approach. More fun to watch  than even Warner.

Rashid Khan: easy pick 

Other considerations: Warner,Bhuvi (when he gets it right on a suitable track)

:rcb:

Siraj: Controversial pick but watching him bowl with the new ball even in T20 and even his traditional approach of trying to set up bats is very refreshing. Might get tonked  8/10 times but when the conditions are in his favor, he will run through top orders like Ishant Sharma when he was younger. Also seems to have improved his death bowling. Touch wood.

Maxwell: Maxwell version 20.0 -let’s see what he can do this time but seems to have found some form. I mean is it even a debate that a in form Maxwell isn’t box office?

Other considerations: the usual- Kohli,AB but give me something newer  and exciting :dancing:

:kp:

Gayle : Universe boss = Entertainment 

Pooran: one of the most exciting talents in world cricket. I don’t think we have completely  seen what he can do yet. 

other considerations: Shami, Mayank the T20 player.

:dc:

Pant: I mean apart from Indian TM a few months back don’t think anyone else feels Pant is not box office. Easy pick 

Stoinis: One of the most brutal hitters of the ball. Should bat higher than he is currently playing. Play him at 4. That’s the magic formula for DC. Can contribute with the ball, better than he looks in that department and a brilliant fielder.

Other considerations: Shaw- unfit-yes, slow-fielder- yes, technical issues- yes but there will be 1-2 games when he will be in the zone and he will get a good pitch and this kid will light up the IPL.

Your turn folks.

I will start with the teams that I support (limiting it to two players as per OP)

:mi:  SDP and SKY ...  Special mention: Pollard, Kishan, Boult, Bumrah, R Chahar, QdK, etc  ... Turn off TV: Rohit 

:rr:  Buttler and Samson ... Special mention: Archer, Stokes and Tewatia 

Other teams in alphabetical order: 

:csk: S Curran and Mooen ... honourable mention to Pujara, if he plays, to see how he does in this format 

:dc:Pant and Norjke (pace) ... Turn off TV: Dhawan, Rahane, Ashwin, ...

:kkr: Morgan and Russell ... special mention: Ferguson (pace)

:Pk: Pooran and Gayle (surprised that he still remains dangerous) ... Special mention: Shami ... Turn off TV: KL

:rcb: ABDV and Maxwell ... special mention: Siraj (bowling well with the new ball), Jamieson 

:srh: Rashid and Natrajan (for yorkers) ... Special mention: Samad (to see how he develops), Bairstow and Warner  ... Turn off TV: Pandey, Shankar, ... 

Edited by zen

2 hours ago, zen said:

:dc:Pant and Norjke (pace) ... Turn off TV: Dhawan, Rahane, Ashwin, ...

I will even ignore the Rohit thing for now but I pretty much agree with your post bar Ashwin.

I personally think he is a very exciting cricketer. I don’t know if he thinks he is smarter than he is or he is a genuinely super smart guy but that’s the what he try’s to portray . So you always think he is about to try out something. A leg spinner out of nowhere or that side arm Kedar Jadhav ball. We saw  the Mankad a couple of years ago that lit up the tournament or a banter with Paine in tests that set up that ultimate climax. In fact I think he is a very dynamic cricketer.

I personally find his fielding amusing in the Shaw or Sharjeel Khan category. I will call that comedy but I can understand if one finds that boring.

His batting in tests is exciting and in T20’s negligible.

One can have a problem with the wickets he gets or how he gets them on favorable pitches or may not rate his exploits but not sure  what you  are watching but Ashwin is a very exciting cricketer in his own unique style.