Aadhar services - What's the point of calling it services

Real McCoy

I got a text calling to avail aadhar services on the phone. Then I thought for a minute what is the meaning of aadhar services. So I typed aadhar services, went into the site and find these things listed as services - verify aadhar, verify registered mobile and email id, retreive aadhar, generate vid and so on and so forth. Well technically the meaning of services is one that serves, occupation or function of serving, etc. Do you think these things listed as services really helps the common man. Its more like an added burden and we have to serve the banks, other institutions, etc. It doesn't seem the government is serving us but rather we serving the govt fat cats. Also the main aim was to prevent non-nationals to get an aadhar but lots of banglas have one now :noidea: Nowadays, banks require a pan card to start an account even though they also need the aadhar. So basically aadhar is a nuisance than a "service" which has failed to do what it was intended to do.

38 minutes ago, speedheat said:

Agree,

Its an additional burden being shoved down our throats with no significant benefits.

The scheme has also failed to prevent illegal stay of migrants in the country, It serves  no purpose lol.

Not sure about purposes it serves, but it's not citizenship proof by design.

45 minutes ago, speedheat said:

Agree,

Its an additional burden being shoved down our throats with no significant benefits.

The scheme has also failed to prevent illegal stay of migrants in the country, It serves  no purpose lol.

Mind you this was introduced by congress and bjp called it as an invasion of privacy. it was not mandatory under congress. but once in power, bjp made it mandatory :lol:

20 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

I got a text calling to avail aadhar services on the phone. Then I thought for a minute what is the meaning of aadhar services. So I typed aadhar services, went into the site and find these things listed as services - verify aadhar, verify registered mobile and email id, retreive aadhar, generate vid and so on and so forth. Well technically the meaning of services is one that serves, occupation or function of serving, etc. Do you think these things listed as services really helps the common man. Its more like an added burden and we have to serve the banks, other institutions, etc. It doesn't seem the government is serving us but rather we serving the govt fat cats. Also the main aim was to prevent non-nationals to get an aadhar but lots of banglas have one now :noidea: Nowadays, banks require a pan card to start an account even though they also need the aadhar. So basically aadhar is a nuisance than a "service" which has failed to do what it was intended to do.

Yes, it helps the common man..You can buy a sim using aadhar OTP, you can update your address proof on aadhar using something like LPG bill, and it helps you to open bank account etc....yes, Banglas have aadhar now, but this is nothing to do with aadhar itself but the corruption in the lower level which fails to do proper verification...We have a shop nearby where any government services including BPL card can be obtained for a price, so how can you expect aadhar to free from Bangla intrusion? 

35 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

This is like Deja Vu, had this discussion earlier, pops again. BJP was not convinced in opposition, but once in power they addressed all concerns. It is mainly for proof of residency, used for tracking criminals. Pan card has no address. 

https://www.firstpost.com/politics/bjp-attacks-aadhaar-scheme-says-it-violates-right-to-privacy-1186861.html

"The reality is that the National Identification Authority of India Bill, 2010, which gives sanction to this particular card was rejected by the standing committee on Finance," BJP Vice President Smriti Irani said, alleging that the programme violates the constitutional right to privacy.

"The reality is striking for me as an Indian that a concept which does not have the sanction of Parliament today is collecting bio-metric data which violates the constitutional right to privacy," she said.

Would be interesting to know how the concern that collection of biometric data is privacy violation has been addressed.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/puducherry/hc-upset-with-bjp-for-accessing-voter-details/article34154222.ece

HC upset with BJP for ‘accessing’ voter details

14 minutes ago, urbestfriend said:

Yes, it helps the common man..You can buy a sim using aadhar OTP, you can update your address proof on aadhar using something like LPG bill, and it helps you to open bank account etc....yes, Banglas have aadhar now, but this is nothing to do with aadhar itself but the corruption in the lower level which fails to do proper verification...We have a shop nearby where any government services including BPL card can be obtained for a price, so how can you expect aadhar to free from Bangla intrusion? 

All these things were also available pre-aadhar also. Dont BS me

24 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

This is like Deja Vu, had this discussion earlier, pops again. BJP was not convinced in opposition, but once in power they addressed all concerns. It is mainly for proof of residency, used for tracking criminals. Pan card has no address. 

Don't pretend to be naive. I'm seeing this from both parties not only in India but also in US. Obama came in as a messenger of peace following the evil war monger Bush and invaded 7 other countries bringing "democracy". same in india also

3 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

https://www.firstpost.com/politics/bjp-attacks-aadhaar-scheme-says-it-violates-right-to-privacy-1186861.html

Would be interesting to know how the concern that collection of biometric data is privacy violation has been addressed.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/puducherry/hc-upset-with-bjp-for-accessing-voter-details/article34154222.ece

forget the noise, I have first hand experience. When I used to visit India earlier, it was tough to get a SIM card and I had to rely on family members to get me one. Now, after living in India, got aadhar card for all my family, and now I am able to buy land, property., stocks etc and even, get SIM card seamlessly. Life is more convenient. 

What privacy concerns? Indians dry their underwear in their balconies, privacy concerns is a joke. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

What privacy concerns? Indians dry their underwear in their balconies, privacy concerns is a joke. 

I quoted the post which claimed this. You're contradicting yourself.

BJP was not convinced in opposition, but once in power they addressed all concerns.

Would be great to understand how did BJP address privacy concerns which they were flagging as opposition.

5 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Cuts out the middlemen, added to Jan dhan. They can get benefits directly to their bank accounts now

Really? how many "benefits" are people actually getting. They have already banned ration cards for those with above 1 lakh per annum

Edited by Real McCoy