The science of climate change is not settled

BacktoCricaddict

7 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

I am as much for sustainability as anyone.  But it must be juxtaposed to uplifting today's developing world.  It must include truly sustainable, high-yield ag practices so we can grow more on less land and save forests (the focus on reviving historical ag practices will not meet this goal).  It must include a holistic, not tunnel-vision, approach to energy, and not ban high density energy systems like nuclear.  It phase out fossil fuels, not ban them immediately in the developing world.  

Who are we to judge that developing world needs "upliftment"? Developing world cannot be measured through western "upliftment" standards. 

Countries like Bhutan are experimenting with concepts such as Gross Happiness Index (GHI), where wealth is equated to happiness and quality of life, not the amount of dollars one has to buy the latest gadgets, which become obsolete anyways. Based on its standards, Bhutan is as uplifted as any developed country. We do not need labels like developing countries to make them feel inferior (or to trap them in a catch up game). 

Below is how countries like Sweden are attempting to be happy:

Ive seen enough major cyclonic storms in the east coast of India in the summers in past 3-4 years which I had never seen in the previous 20 odd years of my existence. People in the coastal areas in the Sundarbans are suffering further and further, the Pacific Islands losing their land to the oceans. Many more such instances.

Ofcourse its cataclysmic to people living in these areas.

3 hours ago, zen said:

People trying to create doubts over the negative impact of pollution and climate change should be fined (or even jailed depending on the degree of crime), imo 

Interpol sees pollution as a crime: Link

Countries like Denmark are said to be working on laws that makes ignoring climate change illegal

At the ground level, need  to educate communities better using examples that lead to easier understanding of the severity of the situation:

Climate change is a hoax. Earth has always gone through changes and  Climate never stayed same. Earth has witnessed ice ages to droughts.  Change is the only constant and nothing else is permanent. Earth has been here long before humans existed.

Edited by rkt.india

50 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Climate change is a hoax. Earth has always gone through changes and  Climate never stayed same. Earth has witnessed ice ages to droughts.  Change is the only constant and nothing else is permanent. Earth has been here long before humans existed.

Are you aware of the subject or making a random comment on internet? ... Read here ... Countries have signed Paris Agreement ... We are talking about changes due to human influence, which is demonstrable ... For e.g. because of COVID related shut down, emissions went down in 2020: 

worldwide-co2-emissions.jpg

Edited by zen

8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

:laugh:

13 hours ago, zen said:

Are you aware of the subject or making a random comment on internet? ... Read here ... Countries have signed Paris Agreement ... We are talking about changes due to human influence, which is demonstrable ... For e.g. because of COVID related shut down, emissions went down in 2020: 

worldwide-co2-emissions.jpg

Global warming will stop only once humans stop existing. So think about providing good life to humans till they exist. 

21 hours ago, rkt.india said:

You are correct. But its human life over the next few generations that will have to suffer and the other beings who are currently sharing it with us. Earth will go on and so will life, its us who have to look after each other

13 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Global warming will stop only once humans stop existing. So think about providing good life to humans till they exist. 

Buddy, the point is on how to control global warming (and other types of pollution) so ideal environmental conditions on the planet can be sustained.  A healthy planet provides good life to not only humans but also to other living organisms (Earth is for everyone). 

Your point is similar to someone saying that I am going to die anyways so till I live let me not worry about the food, alcohol, smoking, drugs, exercises, etc., as that is what good life is for that someone. Because nothing matters after I die, let me also destroy a few more things including the ability to survive for next generations, for fun … Much like normal people worry about their health and so on for a healthy life, people also care for a healthy planet that can continue to benefit not only us but also future generations. 

On one hand, we worry about your own house, our health, etc., and on the other hand continue to disregard the interest of our planet, which is the only one in our solar system to support various forms of complex living organisms. The planet is greater than any individual, community or country as it is the foundation on which everything is laid. 

Edited by zen

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Since carbon emissions are such a big problem, surely we can expect the new Science loving, "progressive" US Gobarmint to do what's needed, right? Oh wait!

If I understand the US politics correctly, then present US Government (i.e. Biden) not a member of progressive camp, but he belongs to the so called moderate camp. 

Mr. Sanders was the candidate of the progressive democratic faction. 

On 7/29/2021 at 11:56 AM, EnterTheVoid said:

You just said climate change is a hoax. 

So what does humans existing have to do with global warming?

Get your story straight :laugh:

Then you didn't understand. This whole charade regarding global warming is hoax. Global warming, global cooling is cyclic process which happened even when humans didn't exist on earth.