Playing XI for 1st test in Trent Bridge

11 minutes ago, CodeOfWisden said:

Oh come on Shankar isn't the solution, 

We actually need Hardik Pandya fit and firing and maybe even Shardul can perform that role if he focuses a bit more on his batting. 

On our 2018 tour of England, pandya was fit and played almost all matches.   But was pathetic with the bat.   Never survived more than 20 balls, if I recall.   He simply does not hv the technique to survive in England.    Yes, shankar is not good either.   So, we don't hv anyone other than shardul as a genuine allrounder.  

I remember long back when I first came to England I went to a cricket club and signed up to play. It was a glorious july afternoon and I was in my whites ( yes its pretty strict in clubs as well). We were batting..So around 3.30 in afternoon it started becoming cloudy. Just the edge of the sky.. sun was still seeping through.. and then started the pandemomium.. a medium pace bowler ( who would actually lose to kumbles  faster ) and looked a bit like Jack leavh with glasses started hooping the ball.. i was batting at no 7 and it was 2 down. In blink of an eye it was 5 down.. believe me i have never seen like this and you wont know unless you are in the middle of the pitch.. the first ball was literally starting at assume kanyakumari going through madhya pradesh and reached punjab and suddenly it moved to rajasthan.. i couldnt even move my bat as the ball alreay left.. and i heard groans ( oye hoye) from the wicketkeeper  ( he was a sardar from jalandhar.. good mates now).. believe

me i couldnt lay bat on to ball as it snaked just at the last minute.. its like trying to catch the falling kite on terrace and it sways away at the last min..  that day standing there mid of pitch in england i had new found respect for the indian players who we bash all day for not playing well Overseas. I realised that unless you play in those conditions regularly its very difficult to just lay bat on to the ball.. dont ask how much I scored as thats for another day but the moot point is , you have to regularly play county just to master the art of playing late..or else every ball you ll hear the groan..from the wicketkeeper..and then sound of nick you know from where..

Hardik is a T20 bully. Legend in IPL and fits well in Indian T20 squad. Nothing less or nothing more.

Shankar was one of the few batsmen who looked at ease during the wretched NZ tour of 2020. He can definitely play a supporting role at 6/7 and make some useful contributions lower down the order.

It's unfortunate that the current team selection is clueless. Why would you pick 3 spinners and 1 medium pace allrounder to tour England?! 

17 minutes ago, Sandeep99 said:

Hardik is a T20 bully. Legend in IPL and fits well in Indian T20 squad. Nothing less or nothing more.

Shankar was one of the few batsmen who looked at ease during the wretched NZ tour of 2020. He can definitely play a supporting role at 6/7 and make some useful contributions lower down the order.

It's unfortunate that the current team selection is clueless. Why would you pick 3 spinners and 1 medium pace allrounder to tour England?! 

We picked 4.

Ashwin

Jadeja

Sundar

Axar

1 hour ago, neel roy said:

I remember long back when I first came to England I went to a cricket club and signed up to play. It was a glorious july afternoon and I was in my whites ( yes its pretty strict in clubs as well). We were batting..So around 3.30 in afternoon it started becoming cloudy. Just the edge of the sky.. sun was still seeping through.. and then started the pandemomium.. a medium pace bowler ( who would actually lose to kumbles  faster ) and looked a bit like Jack leavh with glasses started hooping the ball.. i was batting at no 7 and it was 2 down. In blink of an eye it was 5 down.. believe me i have never seen like this and you wont know unless you are in the middle of the pitch.. the first ball was literally starting at assume kanyakumari going through madhya pradesh and reached punjab and suddenly it moved to rajasthan.. i couldnt even move my bat as the ball alreay left.. and i heard groans ( oye hoye) from the wicketkeeper  ( he was a sardar from jalandhar.. good mates now).. believe

me i couldnt lay bat on to ball as it snaked just at the last minute.. its like trying to catch the falling kite on terrace and it sways away at the last min..  that day standing there mid of pitch in england i had new found respect for the indian players who we bash all day for not playing well Overseas. I realised that unless you play in those conditions regularly its very difficult to just lay bat on to the ball.. dont ask how much I scored as thats for another day but the moot point is , you have to regularly play county just to master the art of playing late..or else every ball you ll hear the groan..from the wicketkeeper..and then sound of nick you know from where..

We actually don't bash Indian batsman for their overseas failures, we bash them for their arrogance even after failing!

3 hours ago, R!TTER said:

Shankar would be useful only if he could feature in the top 6/7 in the batting order, ahead of Pant. His bowling is at best CDG level, so barely a holding role in Eng. Anyway no point in debating over wishful selections or scenarios, you can almost bet that if  God tried to hand the series on a platter Brat would be like :motz:

Kohli fined for showing middle finger

Shankar's bowling is nowhere near Grandhomme, if he was that good our allrounder problem would have been solved. 

Grandhomme can blow away opposition on home tracks, Vijay is at best a Paul Collingwood level bowler who wouldn't do much damage. 

3 hours ago, Frustrated said:

On our 2018 tour of England, pandya was fit and played almost all matches.   But was pathetic with the bat.   Never survived more than 20 balls, if I recall.   He simply does not hv the technique to survive in England.    Yes, shankar is not good either.   So, we don't hv anyone other than shardul as a genuine allrounder.  

Bro first tour of England and that too for an allrounder, we can't judge him based on that, you can see how Stokes performed this year in India. 

Pandya definitely has the potential but his commitment is questionable. 

Also  we won a single match on that tour and that was coz of Pandya. 

5 minutes ago, CodeOfWisden said:

Everyone outside the team looks like a perfect fit until they get in and get destroyed. Shankar isn't good enough, Shardul is way better and he will prove it in this tour itself. 

Shardul is a bowler who can bat a bit. Shankar is a batsman who can Bowl a bit. Both are not each other's competitor. Shankar is #6 batsman. Shardul #8.