Question for those ever ready to P--- on IPL

jf1gp_1

Btw,  Bangladesh's GDP is higher than that of Finland, Czech, Portugal, New Zealand, Greece, Qatar, Hungary, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Bahrain, ... ... Pak's GDP is higher than Czech, Portugal, New Zealand, Greece, Qatar, Hungary, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Bahrain, ...

Per GDP (like looking at runs without considering matches played/average) :cheers: to the rise of these great Subcon Tigers with clout (sharp claws). The degree of greatness of the clout is to be elaborated by their fans :elefant:

clout-clout-chasing.gif

Edited by zen

48 minutes ago, zen said:

Buddy, as I said such posts will not resonate with me. Try your "facts" in India (or Pak or BD or SL for respective fans) where you may find like-minded people agreeing with you (may even get a pat for your patriotism) :thumb:

Tldr is you want to bask in your own ignorance while peddling false equivalencies when you get called out on it. Got it. 

49 minutes ago, zen said:

As for self-loathing (or whatever term you may want to use), I actually love myself and India  but do not appreciate how a great region has been turned into garbage. 

Good thing it isn't then, most of the garbage is else where. 

38 minutes ago, zen said:

Btw,  Bangladesh's GDP is higher than that of Finland, Czech, Portugal, New Zealand, Greece, Qatar, Hungary, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Bahrain, ... ... Pak's GDP is higher than Czech, Portugal, New Zealand, Greece, Qatar, Hungary, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Bahrain, ...

Per GDP (like looking at runs without considering matches played/average) :cheers: to the rise of these great Subcon Tigers with clout (sharp claws). The degree of greatness of the clout is to be elaborated by their fans :elefant:

clout-clout-chasing.gif

inadvertently you convinced yourself without realising it. Give your head a wobble and you may get it.

25 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

Tldr is you want to bask in your own ignorance while peddling false equivalencies when you get called out on it. Got it. 

Good thing it isn't then, most of the garbage is else where. 

24 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

inadvertently you convinced yourself without realising it. Give your head a wobble and you may get it.

"empty garbage cans ..." :winky:  

hecknbees-bin.gif

Edited by zen

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

I used to avoid IPL till circa (late) 2019 except highlights of KLR's batting, then @Mariyam converted me, opened my eyes, grateful for that. Now I do dawah to invite more people to embrace this wonderful league.

There is no cricket but IPL, and @Gollum is its messenger, eh?

Edited by Mariyam

17 hours ago, asterix said:

I’m sorry, IPL has no quality at all. May be you’ve short memory. The current IPL edition was pretty dull. 

If too International players don’t play in IPL, it’ll lose its remaining quality.

Off course for a CSK fan, the threshold of quality T20 is pretty low having been used those Dhoni trademark Chepauk low scoring matches… :phehe:

If you are talking about the last season, most of the players were under various stages of lockdown/quarantine for close to 6 months. They would be rusty. As the tournament progressed they got better.

Not fair to view this edition from the lens of your past IPL experiences.

Bio bubbles 

Playing in front of empty stadii. 

No fan interaction whatsoever.

Lower fitness due to many months of initial complete lockdown 

Difficult in basic travel.

Cut them some slack.

19 hours ago, Adamant said:

Those fans are just unsophisticated. 

Sallu movies still earn more than KK menon's, doesn't mean squat

At first glance this may seem like a frivolous analogy. But it's quite apt.

Sallu makes his own trashy movies. He produces them. Acts in them. Markets them. 

KK has to wait for Anurag or Dibakar Banerjee to conjure up a plot and convince people to produce it.

That is true of the IPL and test games involving India too. IPL is a succesful business model. Studied at some length in our top Biz schools and even some outside. 

To see how well test cricket is doing, all you have to do is look up BARC viewership numbers and prime time ad slot rates for the IPL and any Test game. 

Your other assertion that India hasn't won any T20 WC since the genesis of the IPL is moot. The work of the franchises is not to win India T20 wcs. Neither must they 'give chances' to youngsters. Very warped way to look at it. They are in it to make money. That is the parameter you should judge them on.

I suggest you take a look at BCCI's annual reports. Public domain information. See the share of the pie that comes from a 2 month IPL. Close to 60% EBITDA. 

Taking care of ex cricketers, even those who played Ranji games has been possible because the BCCI has instituted a fund for this NOW, ie after the advent of the IPL. 

One of the many benefits of having the tournament.

3 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Sallu makes his own trashy movies. He produces them. Acts in them. Markets them. 

KK has to wait for Anurag or Dibakar Banerjee to conjure up a plot and convince people to produce it.

And? Sallu has more money than KK, is that your point? 

5 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

The work of the franchises is not to win India T20 wcs. Neither must they 'give chances' to youngsters. Very warped way to look at it. They are in it to make money. That is the parameter you should judge them on.

Why should we judge them on their ability to make money? Do you go through the financial statements of all the restaurants near you, to recommend to your friends? 

35 minutes ago, Serpico said:

And? Sallu has more money than KK, is that your point? 

Why should we judge them on their ability to make money? Do you go through the financial statements of all the restaurants near you, to recommend to your friends? 

Point is that Sallu (IPL) has nurtured a market. For all his acting prowess and sophistication, KK hasn't been able to. Thought it was self explanatory.

We aren't discussing personal cuisine/cricket preferences. We are discussing what is working for the business of running cricket in India. 

3 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Point is that Sallu (IPL) has nurtured a market. For all his acting prowess and sophistication, KK hasn't been able to. Thought it was self explanatory.

We aren't discussing personal cuisine/cricket preferences. We are discussing what is working for the business of running cricket in India. 

Dear Mariyam,

Since the business is "working" so well, how many T20 World Cups have we won since the 1st IPL ? 

Oh, I got it. Its perhaps about the $ only and not what India wins. 

9 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

Dear Mariyam,

Since the business is "working" so well, how many T20 World Cups have we won since the 1st IPL ? 

Oh, I got it. Its perhaps about the $ only and not what India wins. 

I really don't get your point.

What has winning the T20 WC have to do with the IPL?

You guys are conflating things. The idea of the IPL is not ( at least directly) to improve the standard of the Indian T20 team. That is a byproduct. The idea of the IPL is to make the BCCI a powerful and rich entity which can use the riches for the betterment of Indian cricket/cricketers be it in terms of training or pensions. 

If we haven't won a T20 WC in spite of having the IPL the onus is on the team management and the players. Not on the IPL. If you aren't clean enough after a long shower, what do you do? Turn off the water supply? Or scrub better?

Edited by Mariyam

28 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

The idea of the IPL is not ( at least directly) to improve the standard of the Indian T20 team. That is a byproduct. The idea of the IPL is to make the BCCI a powerful and rich entity which can use the riches for the betterment of Indian cricket/cricketers be it in terms of training or pensions. 

You make a solid argument. 

I will give it a couple of more benefits 

1)  IPL gives our young players opportunities to rub shoulders with the best of the best and sharpen their skills. 

2) With the talent spotting teams than each of these IPL  franchises - they are basically doing the job of the selectors - its easy to miss out on huge amount of talent in our country given the size. 

No well meaning Indian fan can deny this. IPL has benefits.

My problem is that when it starts compromising international cricket (especially Test cricket ) for India and players give greater priority to their franchises than India.

Does Nita Ambani's team winning give you more joy than Team India winning ?? 

Also to your point about about commercial aspect - the amount of money that flows in is also proportionate to how successful the national team is.

If Team India was more successful in ICC tourneys, the sponsorship money would have been alot more than what Byju is currently offering.

Edited by rangeelaraja

49 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Point is that Sallu (IPL) has nurtured a market. For all his acting prowess and sophistication, KK hasn't been able to. Thought it was self explanatory

No that was not the point. I already conceded that ipl mints money, I only protested to the point that ipl is better cricket because it makes more money. Sallu makes more money but would you say his movies are better because of it? 

52 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

What is there to discuss in business side of cricket? Are you saying that fans of international cricket don't know which format is the money maker? Cause thats not true, everyone in this thread already acknowledged that ipl makes money. There's no debate required on that.

We're actually discussing on our tastes and preferences. Someone said ipl is simply better because it got more fans and now you say its better because it makes more money

1 hour ago, Serpico said:

No that was not the point. I already conceded that ipl mints money, I only protested to the point that ipl is better cricket because it makes more money. Sallu makes more money but would you say his movies are better because of it? 

What is there to discuss in business side of cricket? Are you saying that fans of international cricket don't know which format is the money maker? Cause thats not true, everyone in this thread already acknowledged that ipl makes money. There's no debate required on that.

We're actually discussing on our tastes and preferences. Someone said ipl is simply better because it got more fans and now you say its better because it makes more money

No. That is not what I said. Never mentioned anything about being better than the other.

IPL makes more money because it has more fans.

The arguement on which is better is redundant. I don't see a need to have a comparison.

Comparison, it is said, is the thief of joy.:winky:

Watch the version of cricket you find palatable.

Edited by Mariyam

2 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@rangeelaraja

:mi: winning the IPL means a lot more to me than India winning a test series in Australia.

After the ODI WC in terms of importance, its the IPL for me.

Dear @Mariyam

Aapko sau khoon bhi maaf.

Bas kuch aisa hi nasha hai Napean Sea Road/Malabar Hill ki hawa mein.

Edited by rangeelaraja

23 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

Aapko sau khoon bhi maaf.

Bas kuch aisa hi nasha hai Napean Sea Road/Malabar Hill ki hawa mein.

You may mock me, but you are just being oblivious to ground realities. Touch base with your friends/relatives back in the city.

IPL sides have SM events with colleges and schools. Campion, GD Somani , Bombay Scottish, JB Vachcha ( all girls school), JB Petit (also a girls school) used to have (student paid) field trips to the Wankhede for IPL games and sometimes the training sessions ( at the reliance facility) in the pre-covid times.

That is how you build a fan base. Girls/women make up a huge share of the merch buying IPL fanbase now. 

College kids are roped in and trained for stadium management/usher/basic security detail/catering management duties. Basically in a world where there are tons of avenues for recreation, the Franchises have worked wonders in capturing attention. I have nothing but admiration for their marketing plans. A mere Mumbai Indian training/ players joking around video has lakhs of views. I know of people who have cried ( yeah its silly) when their side lost an IPL final. Bottom line is, there is a lot of effort to build an identity around a franchise and its showing now.

Edited by Mariyam

Older people who got into cricket pre-IPL might not have loyalties with it.

Similar to people born in the 50s who started out with test cricket don't particularly place values in ODI "world cups".

But the new generation is incredibly IPL crazy. And as India keeps becoming richer and this new generation keeps getting older and replacing the older generations (with further newer generations also coming) IPL is only going to get bigger and bigger.

I have no doubts in my mind that by 2040-50, most people will consider the IPL final far more prestigious than a T20WC just like most people consider the NBA finals far more prestigious than FIBA WC finals. There will be still remnants of the older age who might not think that way but then again their are remnants of the older age now who think test victories are more important than say India's WC win. Just like their opinion is irrelevant now, it will be irrelevant then.

All sports leagues - whether the American ones or the European football leagues started at some time. And the guys who were adults/late teens when they started prolly didn't value them much. But now those guys have been dead for years and the teams are integral part of their cities/countries.

You will never hear anti-IPL screeds from anyone born post 2000.