Jump to content
jf1gp_1

Question for those ever ready to P--- on IPL

Recommended Posts

Those are older Indians who grew up pre 90s liberalization who have a gora inferiority complex. Cant blame them. They grew up in a really poor India which was not really achieving anything on the world stage.

 

Now instead of seeing that this lack of achievement was due to poverty (Caused by colonization by the goras) they believed racial/culture reasons and hence the inferiority complex and SENA tests etc.

 

Post liberalization as India has become richer and more developed, Indians have also started achieving on the international stage simply because they don't have to focus on basic necessities anymore.

 

This is not necessarily an Indian thing. The same thing happened with Japan, Korea, China in the past or for that matter even the United States 100-150 years ago (Europeans now watch American movies and pop culture. In the late 1800s-early 1900s it was the other way around).

 

India's economic growth is still going on (and will continue for the next 3-4 decades at least albeit at a slower pace simply because there is so much left to develop).

 

Thus Indians will keep becoming richer and richer and the IPL will keep getting bigger and bigger.

 

By 2035 I see a 5-6 month tournament with 20-ish teams. There will be a lot of crying but that will make it sweeter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

A lot of Indians - of a certain variety - have not come to terms with the fact that IPL is the most valued product in Indian cricket (and in world cricket by extension). Their SENA-MENA tests delusion will take a while to wear off. This is the reason you come to this supposedly Indian forum and read posts by mods/admins wishing for IPL's cancellation and you double check if you are on a pawki forum.

Its was only IPL 20 that i truly followed for obvious reasons. Watched a bit of IPL first half and doubt will follow dubai leg YET i am proud of what BCCI has done with IPL. 

 

Also those who think IPL viewership will drop just because MI has rohit and bumrah missing or RCB has Virat missing or punjab has Rahul missing then they are mistaken. Those who watch IPL will watch despite who is missing just how every single one of us watch the SL ODIs and T20. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In India, I have hardly come across anyone who doesn't like IPL. On this forum, it's hated mostly by those not living in India (especially in Australia and UK) for reasons best known to them. Perhaps many of them do not like a world class Indian product, which richer nations haven't been able to replicate.

 

IPL has done wonders for our cricket. We have world class grassroots infra, our domestic cricketers are paid much better and get top class facilities, our legends have a strong financial support, stadiums have massively improved. 100s of our cricketers have a better life opportunity thanks to it. BCCI rightfully treats it as it's premium product.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deathmonger said:

Those are older Indians who grew up pre 90s liberalization who have a gora inferiority complex. Cant blame them. They grew up in a really poor India which was not really achieving anything on the world stage

Is the situation really that different from 90s? Indian cricket became richer and powerful but India is still pretty irrelevant in world stage. Not sure if you're implying that India is a developed country now or most people don't have to worry about basic necessities anymore

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Is the situation really that different from 90s? Indian cricket became richer and powerful but India is still pretty irrelevant in world stage. Not sure if you're implying that India is a developed country now or most people don't have to worry about basic necessities anymore

India is 5th largest economy now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

India is 5th largest economy now.

India was in top 10 economies in the 60s, 70s and 80s too, we are a large country. For an average citizen, it doesn't mean much since they still live in poverty and struggle. For an average sports fan, it's also true since we don't have good teams in many global sports.

 

This narrative that millennial fans are insecure but zoomers are no longer insecure has no basis. Its just that older fans grew up with Test cricket so they care more about it while younger fans grew up with ipl. Nothing is wrong with either of them. If you prefer ipl good for you, but to say that Test cricket fans are insecure is nonsense

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Serpico said:

Is the situation really that different from 90s? Indian cricket became richer and powerful but India is still pretty irrelevant in world stage. Not sure if you're implying that India is a developed country now or most people don't have to worry about basic necessities anymore

Housing => yes. Food, Clothing, Communication, Transportation and Medicine => No.  The living standards of poor have increased a lot in the last 30 years. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone acknowledges that IPL is the money making machine for BCCI and its existence is crucial for Indian cricket. But as a fan we dont get a single penny from that. So if we ignore the money aspect for a minute, a test match (especially SENA test) is much more entertaining to watch as a fan than IPL. The spectacle of 5th day in Sydney, Brisbane or Oval will be remembered for ages but I cant recollect whatever even happen to the last IPL game. And its not only fans, our captain himself says test cricket is the most entertaining format. This Manchester test was once in a lifetime opportunity to win the series and claim to have won both in Aus/Eng in last 8 months. But the fact that it got stripped has made the fans miffed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Everyone acknowledges that IPL is the money making machine for BCCI and its existence is crucial for Indian cricket. But as a fan we dont get a single penny from that. So if we ignore the money aspect for a minute, a test match (especially SENA test) is much more entertaining to watch as a fan than IPL. The spectacle of 5th day in Sydney, Brisbane or Oval will be remembered for ages but I cant recollect whatever even happen to the last IPL game. And its not only fans, our captain himself says test cricket is the most entertaining format. This Manchester test was once in a lifetime opportunity to win the series and claim to have won both in Aus/Eng in last 8 months. But the fact that it got stripped has made the fans miffed.

We are all bitterly disappointed,but why do people turn on Ipl , that's not going to restart the series now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Everyone acknowledges that IPL is the money making machine for BCCI and its existence is crucial for Indian cricket. But as a fan we dont get a single penny from that. So if we ignore the money aspect for a minute, a test match (especially SENA test) is much more entertaining to watch as a fan than IPL. The spectacle of 5th day in Sydney, Brisbane or Oval will be remembered for ages but I cant recollect whatever even happen to the last IPL game. And its not only fans, our captain himself says test cricket is the most entertaining format. This Manchester test was once in a lifetime opportunity to win the series and claim to have won both in Aus/Eng in last 8 months. But the fact that it got stripped has made the fans miffed.

It's an elitist view held by test aficionados. In my personal experience, these fans are in a minority in India. An average Indian cricket fan loves IPL (and LOIs) much more than any test matches. They wouldn't even know about Australia test series win or ongoing Eng series but follow IPL religiously.

Edited by ShoonyaSifar
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Serpico said:

If you prefer ipl good for you, but to say that Test cricket fans are insecure is nonsense

Its not about test fans or t20 fans , its about Indian cricket.  

 

I am tired of Indian apologizing all over twitter for cancellation of 5th test. What the hell ?

 

England's plans of conquering covid is to expose its entire population to covid. Those buggers aren't apologizing for it but Indian team which got caught in that nonsensical plan should apologizes and feel guilty for putting a premium product like IPL. 

 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

It's an elitist view held by test aficionados. In my personal experience, these fans are in a minority in India. An average Indian cricket fan loves IPL (and LOIs) much more than any test matches. They wouldn't even know about Australia test series win or ongoing Eng series but follow IPL religiously.

This is so true when I was in school I din't even bother about our test series losses overseas or in India as long as we were competing or winning some odi series back then. I used to think players who can't play at high SR hype up test cricket what so exciting in 5 days of sloth fest which might end up with a draw. Later on my opinion changes with time,  but this is still quite true with many indian fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sarchasm said:

A lot of Indians - of a certain variety - have not come to terms with the fact that IPL is the most valued product in Indian cricket (and in world cricket by extension). Their SENA-MENA tests delusion will take a while to wear off. This is the reason you come to this supposedly Indian forum and read posts by mods/admins wishing for IPL's cancellation and you double check if you are on a pawki forum.

 

Unfortunately you and some shameless IPL worshippers on ICF refuse to understand that IPL cannot and should not be allowed to compromise national duty especially when it has to do with the  pinnacle of the the game which is Test cricket. 

 

Every serious cricket follower will value the pinnacle of the international game ( Test cricket ) far more than a frigging domestic franchise cricket like IPL or any other god damn T20 slog fest.

 

Test cricket creates memories which last a lifetime - much unlike the high volume brainless IPL slogfest. 

 

 IPL is good for revenues to plough back to domestic cricket in India. To find new talent. It has benefitted India but it will always remain a million levels lower than the Test game for India.

 

To call IPL despisers as being pawki ( or whatever ) speaks of a filthy mentality.  

 

IPL may be the "greatest" brand in cricket, but as a domestic league of value and worth - it is still a puny rabbit compared to scores of European soccer leagues or North American major sports leagues be it basketball or American football.

 

In none of these global big leagues are players "auctioned" in full public view/live almost as if they are cattles or some sort of commodities. 

 

Only a filthy mentality can be okay with the dehumanizing aspect of IPL "auctions"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by rangeelaraja
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

In my personal experience, these fans are in a minority in India. An average Indian cricket fan loves IPL (and LOIs) much more than any test matches.

Average indian cricket fan likes a lot of things, you wouldn't like too. They might select Dhoni for upcoming wt20 as wkb if they had the power. You probably came here to discuss cricket instead of fb/whatsapp groups because you are a bit more passionate than the average fan. So no need to hold this average fan as the golden standard for cricket opinion

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...