Umran Malik - 150 kph Indian pace sensation

Texan

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Varun Aaron

Umesh yadav were both easily faster than wacqar ever was. 

Only legit speedster was shoaib akthar and sami. 

Zahid was unproven. All fairytales. 

Fastest from Asia based on average speed at their peaks would be; in tests only

1) shoaib bhai

2) varun Aaron

3) umesh

4) sami

5) umar gul

6) booomraaaah

7) wahab riaz

8) shaeen afridi

9) shami

10) wacqar

From 90-95, Waqar was the quickest bowler around. Watch that ball at 1:25, that was a rocket. Looks faster than Umran.

Edited by rkt.india

Waqar was quick. Sure. Before his back surgery. However he was never a genuine quick. Never. 

Pattu Waqar is slower than bumrah. Bumrah holds back alot. When he is on, he is up there easily amongst the quickest even now. He is like steyn. He can crank it up when he needs to. He should quit odi and just focus on tests and t20. 

1 minute ago, Chakdephatte said:

Why should he quit at 28? I want a GOAT performance from him in 2023 World Cup. 

Quit bilaterals and only play WC sorry. That's what I meant. He should just quit all bilaterals imo. 

Only play sena tests and some select home tests. Play ipl. World cups. No bilaerals whatsoever. If needed he can play the deciding matches of bilaterals for practice. That's it. 

On 10/13/2021 at 11:14 AM, rkt.india said:

From 90-95, Waqar was the quickest bowler around. Watch that ball at 1:25, that was a rocket. Looks faster than Umran.

Older videos tend to loose information if not digitised early and often have low frame rates and balls will appear to make balls faster. I never saw waqar bowl above 140 with a speed gun I belive he was quick for his period when other speed demons bowled around 140 themselves. 

5 hours ago, Vilander said:

Older videos tend to loose information if not digitised early and often have low frame rates and balls will appear to make balls faster. I never saw waqar bowl above 140 with a speed gun I belive he was quick for his period when other speed demons bowled around 140 themselves. 

Ghanta low frame rates. These videos aren't from 30s, but from 90s. You don't get so many batsmen clean bowled.

4 hours ago, cric_fan said:

Batsmen that faced Waqar back then and talk about how fast he was must be deluded. Lets take the word of forum users instead yeh

He wasn't known as the Burewala bombshell for nothing! I used to enjoy watching him bowl. I still remember Tony Greig's excited commentary as Waqar ran in to bowl the last few overs in ODIs. 

On 10/13/2021 at 5:29 PM, Mesky99 said:

Not sure if you can take wikipedia as a source, ask Srinath this and even he would laugh it off, I doubt speeds were even recorded in that series, there is enough footage of that Sri series visibly he was no where near 97 mph but a yard or two still quicker than our other medium pacers.

Well, I have watched Srinath bowl from 1991 till he retired. Probably watched more than 90 % of the overs that he had bowled in international cricket.

And he was very quick between 1994 and early 1997, till his rotator cuff injury. And he was quick in 1999 too, when he bowled the 2nd fastest ball of WC 1999 at 149.6 kph.

During the 1996-97 season, there were reports of him bowling 2 deliveries at 157 kph and 156 kph and I witnessed the reports real time.

The reference of the 156 kph ball is seen in an Espncricinfo article too.

"  it has been brought to my attention on numerous occasions that Srinath pipped them both with one particular delivery measured at 156kph "

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espncricinfo.com/story/javagal-srinath-one-in-a-billion-111878%3fplatform=amp

P.S -- Ball by ball speeds have been regularly shown on TV from WC 1999. So,  reports were all that people had till 1998, except for a few series here and there, including some series in Sharjah, when speeds were shown in the early and mid 1990s, usually in the form of Fastest Speeds and Average Speeds on TV.

Edited by express bowling
8 hours ago, cric_fan said:

Batsmen that faced Waqar back then and talk about how fast he was must be deluded. Lets take the word of forum users instead yeh

Show me at least three balls where he's hitting speeds of 90+ mph, or quit making things up.
 I have seen a  29-year-old wacquar trundling around at 129 kph in England, which is considered a medium pace.

20 minutes ago, speedheat said:

I have seen a  29-year-old wacquar trundling around at 129 kph in England, which is considered a medium pace.

True.

In the video below, we see Waqar bowling at Melbourne in 1989, when Waqar was at his quickest.  Supposedly express pacer bowling on a quick bouncy pitch.

Does he look that quick even on a typical Australian pitch !  Looks sharpish, that's about it 

Ball by ball videos are the real eye openers. A collection of the best deliveries can make even Bhuvi seem like Marshall.

38 minutes ago, express bowling said:

True.

In the video below, we see Waqar bowling at Melbourne in 1989, when Waqar was at his quickest.  Supposedly express pacer bowling on a quick bouncy pitch.

Does he look that quick even on a typical Australian pitch !  Looks sharpish, that's about it 

Ball by ball videos are the real eye openers. A collection of the best deliveries can make even Bhuvi seem like Marshall.

The problem here is that gauging a speed of the ball is nearly impossible unless a proper Speedgun is being used. Regardless of how experienced you are as a viewer. Waquar's speed will either remain a mystery or a myth.
Without a speed gun, I'm pretty sure these idiots would have referred even m Asif  as an express bowler.

Things to be taken into account while evaluating Waqar - 

1. He mostly bowled very full pitched deliveries and full pitched deliveries will  measure atleast 4-5 KM faster than a good length ball. 

2. His bowling looks fantastic on view due to the kind of swing he got in the air on those full pitched deliveries. The kind of swing pakistani bowlers got during 80s  was just insane and no one get that kind of swing unless ball is made rough beyond normal. One just needs to watch swing Imran got when india toured PAK  i think in 82.83 .

3. Batsmen were poor while negotiating yorkers then compared to these days .

In todays' world Waqar would be nothing special and his full deliveries without that insane swing would be scored off easily . Secondly if Waqar had some special ability to swing ball like crazy , as a coach he should have made pak bolwers to do the same when he was their coach. 

Wasim Akram was genuinely skillful and special .

1 hour ago, speedheat said:

Show me at least three balls where he's hitting speeds of 90+ mph, or quit making things up.

Waqar only bowled fast till 95. After his back injury he slowed down a lot. He was one of the most fearsome bowler between 90-95.

3 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Things to be taken into account while evaluating Waqar - 

1. He mostly bowled very full pitched deliveries and full pitched deliveries will  measure atleast 4-5 KM faster than a good length ball. 

2. His bowling looks fantastic on view due to the kind of swing he got in the air on those full pitched deliveries. The kind of swing pakistani bowlers got during 80s  was just insane and no one get that kind of swing unless ball is made rough beyond normal. One just needs to watch swing Imran got when india toured PAK  i think in 82.83 .

3. Batsmen were poor while negotiating yorkers then compared to these days .

In todays' world Waqar would be nothing special and his full deliveries without that insane swing would be scored off easily . Secondly if Waqar had some special ability to swing ball like crazy , as a coach he should have made pak bolwers to do the same when he was their coach. 

Wasim Akram was genuinely skillful and special .

And that kind of swing with old ball can only be achieved if you are bowling fast, not at 135.