Pick one from these 7 iconic romantic Bollywood duets

zen

Pick one?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite among these songs?

• Ude jab jab zulfen teri - Naya Daur (1957)
    • Oh haseena zulfon wali - Teesri Manzil (1966) 
    • Kisi raah mein kisi mod par - Mere Humsafar (1970)
    • Gum hai kisi ke pyar mein - Rampur ka Laxman (1972)
    • Hum tum ek kamre mein bandh ho - Bobby (1973) 
    • Chura liya hai tumne jo dil ko - Yaadon ki Baraat (1973) 
    • Kabootar jaa jaa jaa - Maine Pyar Kiya (1999)

The focus here is:

• male-female duets 
  • romantic songs (not sad ones like dil ke tukde tukde kar ke) 
  • Highly popular (songs that most can connect with)

To keep the list short, I have picked 7 from the top of the mind recall (may have missed a few but does not matter as these are good representatives of such songs) ... Have tried to create some variety by including top singers (Lata-Asha-Mukesh-Rafi-Kishore)

• Ude jab jab zulfen teri - Naya Daur (1957)
  • Oh haseena zulfon wali - Teesri Manzil (1966) 
  • Kisi raah mein kisi mod par - Mere Humsafar (1970)
  • Gum hai kisi ke pyar mein - Rampur ka Laxman (1972)
  • Hum tum ek kamre mein bandh ho - Bobby (1973) 
  • Chura liya hai tumne jo dil ko - Yaadon ki Baraat (1973)
  • Kabootar jaa jaa jaa - Maine Pyar Kiya (1999) ... there were news of someone trying to fly like a Kabootar during this song in cinemas and getting injured 

Vote in the poll, rank and discuss! 

Edited by zen

15 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

There are 1000s more, why pick only one of 8 only? 

Because that is the topic of the thread ... it is a poll ... To pick one from the 7 songs based on factors listed in the OP 

Gumrah , Pyaasa, Chaudivi ka chaand , MeA, Aandhi, Guide has great romantic soundtracks

Yeah, there are so many ... but we are not discussing everything sung on the earth  ... Some of the films like Chaudvi ka Chaand and M-e-A do not have popular duets 

Edited by zen

My favorite singer is Kishore Kumar so tempted to go with Ghum hai kisi ke pyar mein, but will resist doing that. What makes it tough is the variety … Below is how I am going to rank these 7 songs this time: 

7. Kabatoor ja ja ja: A playful song. Like the relatively fast paced music in it ... Love the Kabatoor in the song as well! :nod: 

9XuGXF.gif

6. Oh haseena zulfon wali: RDB's western touch ... Rafi & Asha go all out … Works as a dance song too :dance: 

5. Hum tum ek kamre mein bandh ho: What a playful song! Can imagine people going crazy over it in the 70s! ... Love the stress on "hum tum" and then the theme :marchmellow:

4. Ude jab jab zulfen teri: A playful traditional Indian song ... Beautifully sung to make this song still memorable :elefant:

3. Gum hai kisi ke pyar mein: No words to describe this one ... Kishore Kumar and Lataji :hail: ... One of RDB's best touches, combining Hindustani with western  

2. Chura Liya: Another relatively fast paced song. The glasses effect and guitar theme are legendary. Besides the vocals including Rafi sahab swinging hard to hit the ball out of the park, what stars in this song is the instruments/background music :yay:

1. Kisi raah mein kisi mod par: Relatively a slow song. But the lyrics and the tune are phenomenal! Something mesmerizing about Mukesh-Lata in this one. Traditional song as well!! This time, will vote for this  :first:

Edited by zen

43 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Love Gum hai kisi ki ..

I like almost all Kishore Kumar songs esp. the rain songs like ab ke sawan mein jee dare, aaj rapat jaye, pyar ki din ayae kale badal chaaye ... then there are songs like wada karo nahin, hum dono do premi duniya chhod chale, yaar dil daar tujhe kaise, tere bina zindagi se, etc. 

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

First two aren't romantic songs. They are too playful, first is qawali type.

Instead could add 'tum bin jaun kahan' and 'mere dil me aaj kya hai tu kahe to main bata du'

Not duets , but yes romantic, similarly

Khilte hain gul yahan,

pal pal dil ke pass.

Phoolon ke rang se

Couple of duets from Tere mere sapne are awesome, can make it to all time classic duets:

Aaj madhosh hua jaye re, mere man , mera man , mera man

Jeevan ki bhagiya mehekegi

Hey maine kasam li

Johnny mera naam: Kaanchi Re Kaanchi re 

30 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Couple of duets from Tere mere sapne are awesome, can make it to all time classic duets:

Aaj madhosh hua jaye re, mere man , mera man , mera man

Jeevan ki bhagiya mehekegi

Hey maine kasam li

Johnny mera naam: Kaanchi Re Kaanchi re 

There is jaane jaane jaan dhoodhta phir raha, bekhudi mein sanam, aaja aaja mein hoon pyar tera, suno kaho kaha suna, prem khanai mein, wada karo tun nahin, main na bhoolun ga, parbat ke peeche, kiya khoob lagti ho,  wada karle sajane, hum tum dono raat milan ki, hum dono do premi, tera bina zindagi se, jaane kaise kab kahan, pyar hua ikrar hua,  Yeh raat bhigee bhigee, … …. 

That is not the point of the thread.  Point is picking one song from the list and/or ranking the 7 songs :dontknow: 

Edited by zen

27 minutes ago, zen said:

There is jaane jaane Jan dhoodhta phir raha, bekhudi mein sanam, aaja aaja mein hoon pharmacy :woot: tera, suno kaho kaha suna, prem khanai mein, wada karo run nahin, main na bhoolun ga, parbat ke peeche, … … …. 

That is not the point of the thread.  Point is picking one song from the list and/or ranking the 7 songs :dontknow: 

Since you want me only to choose the best of the chosen 7:

Ude Jab jab zulfe teri: is not a romantic song. ched chad song, or a eve teasing one, Maang ke saat tumhara is a better choice in this genre

O haseena zulfonwali is also a club dance number. no romance whatsoever. 
Deewana mujhsa nahin, is the romantic duet you are looking for

Kis raah mein: I will be forced to like it like a parent chosen bride (borrowed pun). Maina bhoolun ga, Maina bhooloongi is a better one for a Lata+Mukesh number

Hum tum ek kamre mein and Kabootar are bubble gum favs, no romantic feeling, too old for such ones

Best in your list are the two:

Gum hai kissi ke pyaar mein

Chura liya hain

I like KK and Lata a split sec better than MRafi and Asha, so going for the KK/Lata

Edited by coffee_rules

50 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Since you want me only to choose the best of the chosen 7:

Ude Jab jab zulfe teri: is not a romantic song. ched chad song, or a eve teasing one, Maang ke saat tumhara is a better choice in this genre

O haseena zulfonwali is also a club dance number. no romance whatsoever. 
Deewana mujhsa nahin, is the romantic duet you are looking for

Kis raah mein: I will be forced to like it like a parent chosen bride (borrowed pun). Maina bhoolun ga, Maina bhooloongi is a better one for a Lata+Mukesh number

Hum tum ek kamre mein and Kabootar are bubble gum favs, no romantic feeling, too old for such ones

Best in your list are the two:

Gum hai kissi ke pyaar mein

Chura liya hain

I like KK and Lata a split sec better than MRafi and Asha, so going for the KK/Lata

I know most of the songs!! 

On a thread that just asks to pick and rank from a set of iconic romantic songs, what is the point in saying x could have been better than y, saying that does not make the picked song any less iconic or the songs suggested any more iconic. These are all good songs!! The ones selected have been extremely popular. 

For e.g. there is a song from Hero - “main tera jaanu hoon, tu mera dilbar hai”, which I was told was played 2-3 times in the cinemas on popular demand. I am told ppl would shout to repeat that song. It is not one of my top favorites but it is good. I could have added it too for its popularity, however, I had reached a max of 7.

Similarly, “oh haseena julfo wali” is an iconic song from the 60s. Not many are going to pick “deewana muj sa nahin” over it and it is not even a duet. A similar fun romantic song to “oh haseena” would be “aaja aaja mein hoon pyar tera”. Similarly, “ude jab jab zulfe teri” from 50s (there can be other such songs as well like “pyar hua ikrar hua” and so on). 

I do not understand how anyone could write negative things about any such classic song. 

PS iPhone changes many words :lol: 

Edited by zen

28 minutes ago, zen said:

I know most of the songs!! 

On a thread that just asks to pick and rank from a set of iconic romantic songs, what is the point in saying x could have been better than y, saying that does not make the picked song any less iconic or the songs suggested any more iconic. These are all good songs!! The ones selected have been extremely popular. 

You have a problem , even after I picked one from your list?. What do you want, just no discussion and be sheep and obey your instructions?

For e.g. there is a song from Hero - “main tera jaanu hoon, tu mera dilbar hai”, which I was told was played 2-3 times in the cinemas on popular demand. I am told ppl would shout to repeat that song. It is not one of my top favorites but I it is good. I could added it too for its popularity, however, I had reached a max of 7.

I have heard the same stories about requests in theatres  for Ek do teen song from Tehzaab and Chal chaiiya song from Dil se. But would you put them on your list of romantic songs?

Similarly, “oh haseena julfo wali” is an iconic song from the 60s. Not many are going to pick deewana muj sa nahin and it is not even a duet. A similar fun romantic song to ek haseena would be aaja aaja mein hoon pyar tera. Similarly, ude jab jab zulfe teri from 50s (there can be other such songs as well like pyar hua ikrar hua and so on). 

Your idea of romantic songs is different from mine. There are lot of qawwal songs like the title song of Hum Kisse se kam nahin, I wouldn't put it as a top 7 romantic songs. Same as Ude jab jab zulfe teri. So, why do you want to be defensive about your picks.?

I do not understand how anyone could write negative things about any such classic song. 

So, you like the song, I don't. Ask anybody here if they consider O haseena as a good romantic song or a fun foot-tapping song. ?

Edited by coffee_rules

You have a problem , even after I picked one from your list?. What do you want, just no discussion and be sheep and obey your instructions?

The point being made is that all of these are iconic songs. I do not know how anyone can dislike such songs. 

I have heard the same stories about requests in theatres  for Ek do teen song from Tehzaab and Chal chaiiya song from Dil se. But would you put them on your list of romantic songs?

Those are not duets ... However,  if they are representative of highly popular songs (I like all types of songs so it is not an issue for me), I would include them if there is space and if they qualify. 

Your idea of romantic songs is different from mine. There are lot of qawwal songs like the title song of Hum Kisse se kam nahin, I wouldn't put it as a top 7 romantic songs. Same as Ude jab jab zulfe teri. So, why do you want to be defensive about your picks.

Ude jab jab zulfen is not a qawwali song. Qawwali songs are usually sung in a qawali set up and can be romantic as well such as "parda hai parda", which has romantic elements (though not a duet). Another such example is "Aye Meri Zohra Jabeen" from Waqt.

So, you like the song, I don't. Ask anybody here if they consider O haseena as a good romantic song or a fun foot-tapping song. ?

Any song that conveys a romantic feeling esp. through its lyrics can be a romantic song. A song can fit multiple segments. 

There is a song in DDLJ - "ruk ja o dil deewane" (not a duet), some may see it as a fun song, while for many it has a romantic element too. 

PS There is an album called Love Hits of Md Rafi, which lists both "o haseena" and "ude jab jab ..." Link

Edited by zen