Ravi Shastri interview discussion thread

I don't think that was the intention as much as he claims to lol  Ashwin probably could have skipped that part in the interview. Not because of Ravi name being involved.I am happy that Ravi bot being called out. But it also involves Kuldeep who did nothing wrong in this saga. It is a travesty that Kuldeep played only one Test after that. May be Bot can explain why Kuldeep was never preferred in any format after a point. Why was he completely sidelined. Our own forum members discarded him as a "mental midget".

Ashwin is terrific am probably his biggest fan but I disagree with his assessment here regarding his dropping, Ashwin was backed all throughout and tbh even during the SA series in 2018 and eng Ashwin did underperform, 2nd test against SA he should have done better, same with the Southampton test, Kuldeep at that time was probably at his best, his form in limited overs cricket was terrific and was in line for more test opportunities, he bowled better than Ashwin had ever done in overseas test matches in just a single innings, Kuldeep was rightly claimed by shastri to be India's no 1 overseas spinner, Ashwin should not hold grudges, ojha outperformed Ashwin in the 2012 eng home series, as well in sachins farewell series but still it was Ashwin that was picked ahead of him in South Africa tour 2013/2014.

3 hours ago, Mesky99 said:

Ashwin is terrific am probably his biggest fan but I disagree with his assessment here regarding his dropping, Ashwin was backed all throughout and tbh even during the SA series in 2018 and eng Ashwin did underperform, 2nd test against SA he should have done better, same with the Southampton test, Kuldeep at that time was probably at his best, his form in limited overs cricket was terrific and was in line for more test opportunities, he bowled better than Ashwin had ever done in overseas test matches in just a single innings, Kuldeep was rightly claimed by shastri to be India's no 1 overseas spinner, Ashwin should not hold grudges, ojha outperformed Ashwin in the 2012 eng home series, as well in sachins farewell series but still it was Ashwin that was picked ahead of him in South Africa tour 2013/2014.

Ojha picked 10fer and won man of the match in his last test. But he was the first victim of BCCI's crack down of chucking. He had suspect action all along. That is why he never played another Test. He didn't stop with putting Kuldeep on a pedestal. But took some pot shots along the way which he now claims as "motivational" lol First of all you don't rank your own bowlers. Do we do that to seamers? batsmen?

Edited by vvvslaxman
4 minutes ago, Something said:

Shastri seems like d bag. I'd hate to be in a room with him. Super cocky as if he can't do a thing wrong. Not defending Ashwin or anything but Shastri sounds like a knuckle head and self centered. I bet he created toxic culture for however long he was there. 

He proved that even during 1985/86 benson hedges tRophy. Srikkanth was the star of the event. But this guy made some ultra slow fifties just for the car since he had some wickets. Real acceleration was provided by Srikkanth. Those days prize money used to be shared by all team members. Later he refused to sell the car and divide the money :) 

Ravi was a good tactician.  Would have made a better captain than Azharuddin/Vengsarkar. But this guy was ultra selfish. A reason why he couldn't find a spot in the side let alone lead the side. Not an exaggeration to say he is the most selfish person in Indian cricketing history. 

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-the-most-selfish-innings-played-by-any-batsman-in-international-cricket

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

He proved that even during 1985/86 benson hedges tRophy. Srikkanth was the star of the event. But this guy made some ultra slow fifties just for the car since he had some wickets. Real acceleration was provided by Srikkanth. Those days prize money used to be shared by all team members. Later he refused to sell the car and divide the money :) 

That's just really sad. 

Whats worse is that, people like that are allowed to hang around the system to hold top positions.

The above video made me bleed from ears. The dude makes everything about himself. When you hold a high position, you take care of your people, not ridicule them in public in the name of being a "straight shooter". Also, I've never heard Shastri say anything that could be considered "tactical" or "strategic". He's a prime example of "Fake it till you make it" when it comes to after cricket career gigs. I can't speak much of his cricketing days b/c I never watched him play but at the same time, I've never heard of him as being a legend or an exemplary player. 

2 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

With such self centered fellows like Kohli, Shastri and Ashwin (who is all about I, me and myself in that interview) in the dressing room, no wonder not one young player could flourish in the last 4-5 years. 

They are people like the rest of us. In corporate life you look after yourself i.e. what can one do to get the best assignments, get promoted, not get sidelined etc. and then after you take care of your interests, you think of what you can do to ensure that your company beats out the competition. Its no different here. Ashwin is sidelined and trying to get back in. Shastri is picking the side that he thinks is most likely to win so that his record looks good. Within all that, these guys work to ensure that the team wins as many times as possible.

13 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Ojha picked 10fer and won man of the match in his last test. But he was the first victim of BCCI's crack down of chucking. He had suspect action all along. That is why he never played another Test. He didn't stop with putting Kuldeep on a pedestal. But took some pot shots along the way which he now claims as "motivational" lol First of all you don't rank your own bowlers. Do we do that to seamers? batsmen?

The Chucking crackdown happened a lot later infact, ojha was playing domestic cricket then and should off got picked ahead of Ashwin for the SA test series on merit, too much is being made out of this episode imo, Ashwin did play the first test against aus hence he was still the number 1 choice spinner even after the lack luster performance in Southampton but yhh there seems to be different yardsticks for different players, rahane, pujara, ishant all went through long patches of failure but never given the same treatment which Ashwin was.

24 minutes ago, Mesky99 said:

The Chucking crackdown happened a lot later infact, ojha was playing domestic cricket then and should off got picked ahead of Ashwin for the SA test series on merit, too much is being made out of this episode imo, Ashwin did play the first test against aus hence he was still the number 1 choice spinner even after the lack luster performance in Southampton but yhh there seems to be different yardsticks for different players, rahane, pujara, ishant all went through long patches of failure but never given the same treatment which Ashwin was.

2014 was the crackdown started which was the reason why he wasn't picked.  A.V.Jayaprakash reported his action.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/pragyan-ojha-underwent-remedial-steps-chucking-panel-member/story-4JEKABEOhTu565wVwcYuFM.html

37 minutes ago, Mesky99 said:

https://www.indiancricketfans.com/topic/17379-pragyan-ojha/?page=7&tab=comments#comment-2425221

This is ICF thread dedicated to Pragyan Ojha. As you can see Ashwin was once again unlucky not to pick more wickets. Besides he averaged the second with bat in that English series. Averaged 61. 

17 hours ago, kirkutfan said:

They are people like the rest of us. In corporate life you look after yourself i.e. what can one do to get the best assignments, get promoted, not get sidelined etc. and then after you take care of your interests, you think of what you can do to ensure that your company beats out the competition. Its no different here. Ashwin is sidelined and trying to get back in. Shastri is picking the side that he thinks is most likely to win so that his record looks good. Within all that, these guys work to ensure that the team wins as many times as possible.

Shastri has been like that alm his life. You know what to expect from him. Kohli again has been all about himself in the last 3-4 years. For me Ashwin's interview has been a revelation. Outs himself as not just self centred but also dishonest and a hypocrite (like Shastri) by not acknowledging even once his pathetic performances in SEMA.

He knew he had career threatening injuries. For someone who claims to be so self aware, the easy option was to opt out keeping team interest in mind. But he prioritised his personal interest and the team suffered. Once he did that, he shouldn't be complaining about the coach and the TM not giving him much importance. But he sulks and considers retirement. Those are childish tantrums.

Indian cricket will be better off without all three. One is gone, hopefully we'll soon move on from the other two as well.

3 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Shastri has been like that alm his life. You know what to expect from him. Kohli again has been all about himself in the last 3-4 years. For me Ashwin's interview has been a revelation. Outs himself as not just self centred but also dishonest and a hypocrite (like Shastri) by not acknowledging even once his pathetic performances in SEMA.

He knew he had career threatening injuries. For someone who claims to be so self aware, the easy option was to opt out keeping team interest in mind. But he prioritised his personal interest and the team suffered. Once he did that, he shouldn't be complaining about the coach and the TM not giving him much importance. But he sulks and considers retirement. Those are childish tantrums.

Indian cricket will be better off without all three. One is gone, hopefully we'll soon move on from the other two as well.

Who doesn’t look out for himself first? Especially in such a competitive field. By your criteria, you would need to scout for 11 Gandhijis who could play cricket. Plus you are talking as if Ashwin, Kohli, Shastri haven’t won a lot of games for India. And I know the drum beat about ICC tournaments. Games throughout the years count for alot too. And aside from this last tournament this team has had a run where they at least get to semifinals there too. 

9 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

Hindsight, but, he should have treated Kuldeep better.

Haven't seen Ashwin getting better after this series, which Bewda is trying to take credit for.

India has no choice to go in with an offie who has incredible record against left handers.  His overall career record is better than he is against BD.  24 avge vs 28 avge (BD)