Kohli's average watch

Serpico

2 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Above average performer against spin & middling performances against swing as well. No way this guy should be rated anywhere near greats of the game in Test cricket. He is not even Joe Root level even if you consider batsman of this generation 

Every one is overrating based on his last year. Before that he had a habit of throwing it away. His average is still lowest among the four. He will end as a greater batsman but he will not be able to repeat 2021, possibly his last big year.

Kohli is done , if he was 28 , it would make sense for him to stick around for while and see if he can improve. You really don’t make come back after 34, even if you do, who cares for 10 test matches. It’s time to move on from him, but do selectors have guts to drop him, that I am not sure. However, that would be right decision, but again I don’t think it will happen. He will drag it out for another 3 years.

19 minutes ago, Chakdephatte said:

Every one is overrating based on his last year. Before that he had a habit of throwing it away. His average is still lowest among the four. He will end as a greater batsman but he will not be able to repeat 2021, possibly his last big year.

I am not even taking stats into consideration, talking about overall game. 

5 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Kohli should tactically take a break from series where spinners will play a dominant role or pacers will play a dominant role to protect his average.

so he shouldn't play against good pacers and good spinners. that sounds like a solid plan. time for him to play ireland, Zim, etc.

2 minutes ago, Serpico said:

And Smith's average is above 60 again. He's in a different tier, should never be compared with other 3 

yes, although it will increasingly be a struggle for him to keep it above 60. however, the fact that he has played in a bowler-friendly era (for second half of his career) and maintained that avg is simply outstanding.

I remember the Pak-SL series of '09 played on utter roads. everyone was making 200s and 300s for fun. in that era, one wonders what kind of avg he would have racked up