BCCI finally takes the control

Number

1st step was to get Shastri out who was Kohli's handpicked coach.

Then Dravid was given the job and right from that point it started falling apart for Kohli. His yes-man was gone and someone who is close to Kumble is there as head coach must be unsettling for him.

2nd was to force Kohli out of LoIs. As soon as he resigned from T20s BCCI sensed the opportunity and removed him from ODIs as well.

And finally he is out of test captaincy as well.

I have always believed that culture we developed after 2011 where captain is made a superstar and too much power is given in captain's hands is never a good thing. 

I think this was a very execution by BCCI.

56 minutes ago, Number said:

Then Dravid was given the job and right from that point it started falling apart for Kohli. His yes-man was gone and someone who is close to Kumble is there as head coach must be unsettling for him.

2nd was to force Kohli out of LoIs. As soon as he resigned from T20s BCCI sensed the opportunity and removed him from ODIs as well.

I have always believed that culture we developed after 2011 where captain is made a superstar and too much power is given in captain's hands is never a good thing. 

Well no,  Ganguly enjoyed power as well & he retired well before. It depends on who is in charge of BCCI as well.

Kohli's departure from every format has been expedited because of team's rudderless performance in this year's ICC event & consecutive failures at ICC events in general. 

20 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Well no,  Ganguly enjoyed power as well & he retired well before. It depends on who is in charge of BCCI as well.

Kohli's departure from every format has been expedited because of team's rudderless performance in this year's ICC event & consecutive failures at ICC events in general. 

Ganguly yes but there was still John Wright who fought with Ganguly and disagreed with his decisions even in plublic at time.

The way Dhoni brought Duncan Fletcher was unprecedented who had no role and no opinion and just enjoyed his retirement.

8 hours ago, Number said:

How do you know the same thing will not be repeated by the next captain- Luckily for MSD and Kohli they either delivered trophies or were great batsmen with astonishing numbers for their endorsements and brand power to dictate their power as a captain... maybe if the next captain is a failure this will break but all it will take is for a captain in the future to either win the ODI worldcup or start amassing centuries and this whole sh*t cycle will start again- lets be clear, the higher the brand power of a player the BCCI gets a cut of this- so they are happy with this arrangement as long as results are going their way.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Kohli's brand power now- no captaincy in IPL or international cricket and if his poor form continues we could see him appearing less and less for brands. My prediction is he had a feeling this would happen so he milked his popular era to the max to make as much money as possible till he falls out of grace thats why we saw his time spent mostly on ads and fitness than actually batting practice.

With the control firmly with them, their responsibility and accountability grows multifold. They have to initiate the transition to a new era without a shar dip in performance and arrest the slide of Indian cricket. After the highs of Australia series win, much more was expected. But starting from the WTC Final, we have had more setbacks than successes. That trend has to be reversed.

The focus on bilaterals, seniority culture and coteries of the captain, lack of focus in the national set up (optional practice sessions, useless match simulations etc), strength and conditioning of the players, proper opportunities for younger players - lots of issues to be addressed in the next 3-4 months before the IPL. How well Dada, Dravid and VVS handle these and set a professional system in place will decide how different the new era will be from the old one.

One initial step they must focus on is to have bigger and successful names as the deputy coaches under Dravid. He may be more comfortable with Rathour, Mahabrey and Dilip, but these aren't the names that inspire much confidence. We need coaches who push players and not let then be happy in their comfort zones or pander to the ego of the captain and head coach.

For a start, hero worship of captains started from the Ganguly era.. Dhoni and his PR took it to a whole new level.. But at least he achieved something..

Kohli continued down Dhoni's path and has a grand total of zero meaningful trophies..  His only claim to fame (and rightly so) is that he has made the Test team more aggressive, particularly in the fast bowling department.. That too is now fizzling away with his persistence of PuRane.

Hopefully, the hero worship ends here. I don't see Rohit get the hype and PR that Kohli got as captain despite winning 5 IPLs.. Hope it remains that way