Hall of Shame bowlers...

DarkProfile

... who were forced to change their bowling styles in the middle of a match because of the epic drubbing they received from a batsman?

1) Guess the bowler in my profile pic :P

I'd love to know if there are any more such instances in the history of modern cricket?

Mods: I don't have permission to create threads in Cricket Talk, which is where this topic belongs. So, please delete the topic if it is irrelevant to IPL sub-forum.

Remember that match very well.

Prabhakar was overstaying his welcome in international cricket ... and that match accelerated what was anyway on the cards.

It was a time when new tall and hit the deck quicker pacers were coming through from the MRF pace foundation  and Tyson's academy. And the trundler was blocking their place.

I was always a trundler hater and really loved the short trundler getting hit ... although us winning the match despite that was what I strongly wanted. 

2 hours ago, DarkProfile said:

Guess this place is like that Redneck town in Appalachia where outsiders are met with wary stares, hostile silence and passive rejection. Guess I'll crawl back to my lonely basement. Have a good day, folks.

This thread would have got much more attention if the IPL was not going on. 

I guess most posters are just tired watching a match every day and 2 on weekends ... and they hardly comment about non-IPL issues.

Welcome to this forum DP !

There are many " so called Pacers " these days who have become smarter.

They have changed their bowling styles mid-career after the drubbing they got  (  not mid-match like Prabhakar )  and basically bowling spin in the guise of pace bowling. 

But they have become smarter and running in to bowl and not bowling after 5 steps.

4 minutes ago, Mosher said:

I think Venky Prasad also started bowling spin after getting mauled by Jayasuriya.

Never seen it. Also unfair that Venky’s legacy is just reduced to that. Remember that in most of those games in that era Srinath was out due to Shoulder injury and the support was even more piss poor.

Venky was brilliant in SA and Eng. he was good vs Pak and SA at home, he whooped padosis in 2 wc matches. Deserves a lot more respect. Unfortunately during that era he was the 2nd best fast  bowler in India. I just wish at least Zak, Nehra, Agarkar had debuted a couple of years before, we would have won series in Eng and at least 1 test vs the great SA team vs Cronje.

Edited by maniac

56 minutes ago, Lord said:

when was that?

Sohail Tanvir did it v us :phehe:

3 hours ago, maniac said:

Never seen it. Also unfair that Venky’s legacy is just reduced to that. Remember that in most of those games in that era Srinath was out due to Shoulder injury and the support was even more piss poor.

Venky was brilliant in SA and Eng. he was good vs Pak and SA at home, he whooped padosis in 2 wc matches. Deserves a lot more respect. Unfortunately during that era he was the 2nd best fast  bowler in India. I just wish at least Zak, Nehra, Agarkar had debuted a couple of years before, we would have won series in Eng and at least 1 test vs the great SA team vs Cronje.

Maybe I am wrong. Don't exactly remember which match I was really young then but remember Venky getting thrashed a lot by Jayasuriya.

8 hours ago, zubinpepsi said:

wasnt that Manoj Prabhakar  against SL.. ? jayasurya murdered him.. 

my dear brother i think you have not played season bowl cricket on Patta flat wickets at 44 degrees in india.

indian BCCI always opted to keep batsman friendly pitches.

i have hit 4 4"s in one over against a bowler on a patta wicket when i was set, this bowler nearly got me out twice in the first over with the new ball the same day.

lets not scream and mistreat a trundler or a pace bowler. 

give them a green track and they become unplayable.

even a good bowler gets a beating on Patta's even by smaller batsman. game is won by batters if its a patta wicket and by bowlers if its a bowler friendly wicket.

i wont write against any bowler.

some one wrote about Prabhakar....probably the shrewdest pace bowler India has ever produced. he played much less than what he should have played. Most intelligent bowler india has ever produced.

19 hours ago, express bowling said:

This thread would have got much more attention if the IPL was not going on. 

I guess most posters are just tired watching a match every day and 2 on weekends ... and they hardly comment about non-IPL issues.

Welcome to this forum DP !

I have learnt a lot about the art and science of bowling from reading your insightful posts, EB. One of the few posters whose thoughts I always look forward to reading. Thanks for your warm words!

19 hours ago, express bowling said:

Remember that match very well.

Prabhakar was overstaying his welcome in international cricket ... and that match accelerated what was anyway on the cards.

It was a time when new tall and hit the deck quicker pacers were coming through from the MRF pace foundation  and Tyson's academy. And the trundler was blocking their place.

I was always a trundler hater and really loved the short trundler getting hit ... although us winning the match despite that was what I strongly wanted. 

I was too young to form an opinion of him while he was playing, but my elder brother was a huge fan and used to imitate Prabhakar in everything, from his hair style to his bowling action. And my brother had this bad habit of practicing his bowling against me as a live wicket, he used to lure me by saying, "chal, bowl-bowl khelte hai!" Once the moron busted my nose with a tennis ball. My dad that day gave him such an epic drubbing that he quit fast bowling and became a spinner. :D

15 hours ago, Mosher said:

Maybe I am wrong. Don't exactly remember which match I was really young then but remember Venky getting thrashed a lot by Jayasuriya.

Yep, I still feel the trauma of those days when Jayasurya and Saeed Anwar played our bowlers like a musical instrument. Srinath, Venky, Kumble... no one was spared.

Edited by DarkProfile

3 hours ago, DarkProfile said:

. And my brother had this bad habit of practicing his bowling against me as a live wicket, he used to lure me by saying, "chal, bowl-bowl khelte hai!" Once the moron busted my nose with a tennis ball. My dad that day gave him such an epic drubbing that he quit fast bowling and became a spinner. :D

:phehe: