Elon Musk restores possibility of free speech

ravishingravi

12 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Now that Musk owns and if he makes the regulations in line with sovereign laws or law of land, it will be free speech as guaranteed by constitution without any intervention / interpretation by third party. 

Were the pre-Musk Twitter regulations not in line with the sovereign laws of the land?  I can't recall anyone being silenced by the government or sent to jail for saying stuff on Twitter.  Like I said before, the right to free speech is simply protection from prosecution for saying something. 

Straight from the US constitution:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

https://daily.jstor.org/is-there-a-first-amendment-right-to-tweet/

The First Amendment of the US Constitution limits the government—not private entities—from restricting free expression. This is why companies like Facebook and Twitter can moderate content—and also why they could suspend then-President Trump’s accounts during his last weeks in office. While many Americans applauded this move as an appropriate response to the violent Capitol insurrection, unexpected critics emerged in corners of the globe where the American version of free speech is considered, well, weird.

IOW, as long as there are no legal repercussions, it is not a violation of one's first amendment rights in the US.

The Musketeers are reaching here. 

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

12 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Were the pre-Musk Twitter regulations not in line with the sovereign laws of the land?  I can't recall anyone being silenced by the government or sent to jail for saying stuff on Twitter.  Like I said before, the right to free speech is simply protection from prosecution for saying something. 

Straight from the US constitution:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

https://daily.jstor.org/is-there-a-first-amendment-right-to-tweet/

The First Amendment of the US Constitution limits the government—not private entities—from restricting free expression. This is why companies like Facebook and Twitter can moderate content—and also why they could suspend then-President Trump’s accounts during his last weeks in office. While many Americans applauded this move as an appropriate response to the violent Capitol insurrection, unexpected critics emerged in corners of the globe where the American version of free speech is considered, well, weird.

IOW, as long as there are no legal repercussions, it is not a violation of one's first amendment rights in the US.

The Musketeers are reaching here. 

I think it’s getting jumbled up. I am not talking about government here. My reference is only Twitter regulations. Let me put across my point more simply. 

Land of US

Freedom of Speech - Subject to constitution 

Land of Twitter in US 

Freedom of speech - Subject to constitution plus Twitter regulations ie policies defining hate speech / offense with its own opaque algorithm, which it is entitled to have as private entity. 

Value proposition by Musk for Twitter in US

Freedom of speech - Subject to constitution plus an open algorithm. 

Now whether he delivers on this or not is another matter. But purely on value proposition I don’t see how this doesn’t alter framework for Twitter. And for those who unfiltered right to free speech without an unknown opaque Twitter moderator, I don’t see why they should not look forward to this value proposition. 

Twitter board should fire Parag & get a dakait or some santabanta for CEO. They can do a better job in doing 24/7/365 dharnas outside Tesla/spacex/starlink offices and extracting compulsory purchase & MSP per twitter share. 

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Humanties graduate class reunion

It's these same people who fall for and spread lies about modern agriculture ("best to just go organic forever!"), energy ("best to just go solar forever!") and vaccines ("best to just go forever"!).

Edited by BacktoCricaddict