Elon Musk restores possibility of free speech

ravishingravi

@ravishingravi Me thinks you give Musk far too much credit.

The main change that we would see is a change in the revenue model. Would eventually end up being subscription based, and not purely ad based as is now.

Sort of like a pay us ab.cd$ to share your opinion with the world and get verified in the process.

All this talk about free speech is just window dressing.

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@ravishingravi Me thinks you give Musk far too much credit.

The main change that we would see is a change in the revenue model. Would eventually end up being subscription based, and not purely ad based as is now.

Sort of like a pay us ab.cd$ to share your opinion with the world and get verified in the process.

All this talk about free speech is just window dressing.

Yes, well I think we all have to be skeptical or hopeful based on the vision. For me, his vision aligns with possibility of free speech :-

1) He sees Twitter as a modern town hall. 

2) He is talking about killing the bots 

3) He is going to make the algorithm public i.e little possibility of manipulation which currently happens

4) The only restriction on free speech would be sovereign laws. There would be no moderation beyond this.

Yes, I am happy to pay for this. It will potentially break what is left of mainstream media. 

4 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Yes, well I think we all have to be skeptical or hopeful based on the vision. For me, his vision aligns with possibility of free speech :-

1) He sees Twitter as a modern town hall. 

2) He is talking about killing the bots 

3) He is going to make the algorithm public i.e little possibility of manipulation which currently happens

4) The only restriction on free speech would be sovereign laws. There would be no moderation beyond this.

Yes, I am happy to pay for this. It will potentially break what is left of mainstream media. 

Excess of free speech will be a breeding ground for all sorts of propaganda.

Elon Musk Criticizes Twitter Executive, Drawing Employee Backlash

Twitter’s prospective owner used the platform to mock the company’s top legal boss over the company’s alleged political bias

Elon Musk Plans to Change Twitter, Here Are the Challenges He Faces
Elon Musk Plans to Change Twitter, Here Are the Challenges He Faces
Elon Musk Plans to Change Twitter, Here Are the Challenges He FacesPlay video: Elon Musk Plans to Change Twitter, Here Are the Challenges He Faces
Twitter will become a private company if Elon Musk’s $44 billion takeover bid is approved. The move would allow Musk to make changes to the site. WSJ’s Dan Gallagher explains Musk’s proposed changes and the challenges he might face enacting them. Illustration: Jordan Kranse
By Deepa Seetharaman
Follow

and Georgia Wells
Follow

Updated Apr. 28, 2022 1:37 am ET
PRINT
TEXT
Listen to article
Length(7 minutes)

Elon Musk, whose takeover bid for Twitter Inc. was accepted two days ago, continued to use the site to criticize executives there, culminating in a meme Wednesday that mocked the top legal boss’s response to accusations of the company’s political bias.

The tweets from Mr. Musk, who has an outsize presence on Twitter, with more than 80 million followers, prompted online attacks toward Vijaya Gadde, Twitter’s longtime head of legal, policy and safety. Mr. Musk’s critique escalated despite an agreement as part of the takeover deal not to disparage the company or the people who work there.

On Wednesday, Mr. Musk tweeted an image of Ms. Gadde, overlaid with text that repeated allegations that Twitter has a left-wing political bias. Mr. Musk’s followers and others on Twitter soon retweeted his message more than 20,000 times, and some added racist and sexist messages directed at Ms. Gadde, including that she should be fired and should go back to India.

Twitter didn’t respond to requests for comment. Mr. Musk and Ms. Gadde didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

The episode delineates the tension underlying Mr. Musk’s imminent ownership of one of the world’s most influential social-media networks. Mr. Musk often directs his combative style on Twitter at people he disagrees with, which can lead to pile-ons by his fans. Twitter executives have argued that minimizing harassment and abuse is the best possible way to ensure as many users as possible can speak freely on the site. Mr. Musk has said those efforts have gone too far, and that he would prefer to allow any speech that isn’t expressly illegal. Mr. Musk’s posts also highlight the difficulties facing Twitter’s board and executives, who are operating according to policies and practices that the company’s future owner disagrees with. It wasn’t immediately clear whether Mr. Musk’s tweets pose a risk to the takeover agreement.

?width=639&height=639

Twitter CEO Parag AgrawalPHOTO: -/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES

On Wednesday morning, Twitter employees asked in internal Slack discussions whether Mr. Musk’s activity on Twitter this week breached the terms of the acquisition, according to people with knowledge of the matter. The people said employees also questioned the silence of former chief executive, co-founder and board member Jack Dorsey, who relied on Ms. Gadde’s judgment to navigate thorny content-moderation questions. On Monday evening, hours after Mr. Musk’s $44 billion deal to take the company private was announced, Mr. Dorsey endorsed him in a series of tweets, saying among other things that “Elon is the singular solution I trust.”

Mr. Dorsey didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

After Mr. Musk tweeted criticism of a past decision by Twitter to suspend a news publication’s account, a decision that would have fallen under Ms. Gadde’s purview, she faced renewed scrutiny online this week. Colleagues rushed to support Ms. Gadde and urged the company to make a public statement responding to the tweets, according to employees.

Ms. Gadde internally thanked employees Wednesday for their support but said she would rather the news cycle pass than have the company respond publicly, according to people familiar with the matter. “Letting this cycle pass and focusing on the important work we do everyday is the best path forward,” Ms. Gadde wrote on an internal Slack channel to employees that was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

About half an hour after her internal message, Mr. Musk posted the meme using Ms. Gadde’s face.

Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal posted what appeared to be a response to Mr. Musk’s tweets without mentioning them specifically: “I took this job to change Twitter for the better, course correct where we need to, and strengthen the service,” he tweeted Wednesday afternoon. “Proud of our people who continue to do the work with focus and urgency despite the noise.”

?width=700&height=467

Vijaya Gadde, Twitter’s head of legal, policy and safety, during the WSJ Tech Live global technology conference in Laguna Beach, Calif., in 2019.PHOTO: MARTINA ALBERTAZZI/BLOOMBERG NEWS

Mr. Musk’s comments drew outrage from former Twitter executives. “What’s going on? You’re making an executive at the company you just bought the target of harassment and threats,” tweeted Dick Costolo, who was Twitter’s CEO from 2010 to 2015.

In a separate tweet, Mr. Costolo wrote: “Bullying is not leadership.”

In Twitter’s early years, the company tried to take a more hands-off approach to removing content from its platform. “We’re the free speech wing of the free speech party,” Mr. Costolo said at a conference in 2011, a phrase echoed by other Twitter executives at the time.

sauce: https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musk-calls-out-twitter-executive-drawing-employee-backlash-11651118870?st=gveswuaswlewzrx&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

There is a fundamental misunderstanding of what the "right to free speech" entails. 

Your right to free speech is violated if and only if a government prosecutes you for your words.  If Twitter censors you, whatever.  They are a private entity and if you can't play by their rules, get the eff out and start your own platform.  Now that Elon Musk owns it (maybe), it's his toy; he will make his own censorship rules and call it free speech.  If one doesn't like it, they can start something else and try to compete with Elon.

Same thing with ICF - if the mods don't like what I am saying and decide to censor or boot me out, I either toe the line or get out.  It's not like @G_B_ or @sandeep or any of the other moderators are showing up at my door with handcuffs. 

I am happy to have absolutely no opinion on twitter's personnel! :cool:

I just feel this is endemic of how this company itself will be forcing itself into the public eye because of how immature musk is not to mention the tenuous grasp of ethics that he has consistently displayed. He's a boy who was born with an emerald in his mouth and thinks he's a magician.

Without twitter's moderation policies the deaths due to covid would be significantly higher in the last two years and going into the near future.

here's more drama...:bebored:

https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/27/twitter-leaked-all-hands-call/

This mad woman Gadde, who I recently heard about when she was in news for weeping on twitter sale to Musk, was the one who got Trump banned from Twitter. Trump is former and future president of USA, and obviously has got of public support and this Gadde woman is a nobody...she must be called out for her biases and be booted out of twitter.

Saying this even as I don't have confidence on Musk to run twitter properly.

Edited by randomGuy

17 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

There is a fundamental misunderstanding of what the "right to free speech" entails. 

Your right to free speech is violated if and only if a government prosecutes you for your words.  If Twitter censors you, whatever.  They are a private entity and if you can't play by their rules, get the eff out and start your own platform.  Now that Elon Musk owns it (maybe), it's his toy; he will make his own censorship rules and call it free speech.  If one doesn't like it, they can start something else and try to compete with Elon.

Same thing with ICF - if the mods don't like what I am saying and decide to censor or boot me out, I either toe the line or get out.  It's not like @G_B_ or @sandeep or any of the other moderators are showing up at my door with handcuffs. 

Now that Musk owns and if he makes the regulations in line with sovereign laws or law of land, it will be free speech as guaranteed by constitution without any intervention / interpretation by third party.