Ganguly: "The World Cup is far away" and "I'm not worried at all about the form of Rohit or Virat."

Seriously? How far away is it?

Kohli has been in pathetic form for the 3rd year in a row and Ganguly says that he is not worried about it?

Ganguly needs to stop being politically correct and tell these two to improve their performances. This is what I dislike about all Indian team selection matters. Individual is always given higher priority than the team. "What will people say if we drop Kohli, Rohit..... blah blah blah...".

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/the-world-cup-is-bcci-president-sourav-ganguly-says-this-on-virat-kohli-and-rohit-sharmas-lean-ipl-2022-2981069#pfrom=home-ndtv_topstories

Whether Rohit or Kohli deserve a place in the 11 based on the way they play their cricket (irrespective of their form) is a valid question (should a relatively young team play in the WC?), however, Ganguly is right that WC is relatively far away. 

Teams like Aus, Eng, & WI usually only play (or put together as players get rotated) their best 11 in big events. 

Before the upcoming T20 WC in Oct, India plays T20s against SA, Ireland, Eng, WI, Asia Cup, & Aus. 

Edited by zen
2 hours ago, Texan said:

Kohli has been in pathetic form for the 3rd year in a row and Ganguly says that he is not worried about it?

Ganguly needs to stop being politically correct and tell these two to improve their performances. This is what I dislike about all Indian team selection matters. Individual is always given higher priority than the team. "What will people say if we drop Kohli, Rohit..... blah blah blah...".

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/the-world-cup-is-bcci-president-sourav-ganguly-says-this-on-virat-kohli-and-rohit-sharmas-lean-ipl-2022-2981069#pfrom=home-ndtv_topstories

Ganguly is not worried because he knows that IPL is the cash cow; as long as that is fine, it won't matter one bit if India crashes out of first round in one world tourney after another or even if they keep getting whitewashed repeatedly in SENA tests.

10 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Ganguly is not worried because he knows that IPL is the cash cow; as long as that is fine, it won't matter one bit if India crashes out of first round in one world tourney after another or even if they keep getting whitewashed repeatedly in SENA tests.

No one had the balls to questions shuperstars in Indian cricket,what will make things change this time around? Ganguly is doing the same his predecessor's did

Rohit Virat can choke India in n number of world events but will always stay the most contributing seniors of the team

2 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

No one had the balls to questions shuperstars in Indian cricket,what will make things change this time around? Ganguly is doing the same his predecessor's did

Rohit Virat can choke India in n number of world events but will always stay the most contributing seniors of the team

it won't matter, as I said, how many trophies we win. all that matters to BCCI is the IPL

1 hour ago, zen said:

Whether Rohit or Kohli deserve a place in the 11 based on the way they play their cricket (irrespective of their form) is a valid question (should a relatively young team play in the WC?), however, Ganguly is right that WC is relatively far away

Teams like Aus, Eng, & WI usually only play (or put together as players get rotated) their best 11 in big events. 

Before the upcoming T20 WC in Oct, India plays T20s against SA, Ireland, Eng, WI, Asia Cup, & Aus. 

If WC is far away when less than 6 months are remaining before the first WC game is played, then why does everyone (including those in the BCCI) keep saying that we need to start planning for the next one as soon as the previous one is done?

By the way, it is only 5 months away.  If I were the BCCI President AND if I were genuinely interested in the betterment and success of Indian cricket, then the two senior most batsmen/leaders in the team not being able to get the ball off the square when other novices are able to tee off would be a very big area of concern for me and I am pretty sure for many others who genuinely care about team performance and not just how much moolah can be made or those who worship individual players. One would question Ganguly's priorities if he doesn't feel this aspect is concerning.

15 minutes ago, Texan said:

If WC is far away when less than 6 months are remaining before the first WC game is played, then why does everyone (including those in the BCCI) keep saying that we need to start planning for the next one as soon as the previous one is done?

By the way, it is only 5 months away.  If I were the BCCI President AND if I were genuinely interested in the betterment and success of Indian cricket, then the two senior most batsmen/leaders in the team not being able to get the ball off the square when other novices are able to tee off would be a very big area of concern for me and I am pretty sure for many others who genuinely care about team performance and not just how much moolah can be made or those who worship individual players. One would question Ganguly's priorities if he doesn't feel this aspect is concerning.

Gangu's priorities are IPL and then everything else takes a back seat

20 minutes ago, Texan said:

Planning has many facets including giving upcoming talented players opportunities, ensuring players are rotated so they remain fresh, and so on. 

No one can control form of individual players. Some players can be past their best or no longer suitable to a changing & demanding format, etc. 

As for Rohit-Kohli, all BCCI can do is give them opportunities to be mentally fresh and gain some form by playing in upcoming series, which are plenty before the World Cup (My opinion is that India should move beyond Rohit-Kohli beginning with T20s but that is a different matter). 

India fans can be desperate and emotional but ppl who run have be practical and to look at the upcoming series, rotate players if they need a break, and plan to play them in appropriate series. A quality player can gain form in any format as form is transferable. 

I would only be worried if key players are not performing (esp. under pressure) in Asia Cup (IPL is also a high pressure marquee tournament but WC is still 4 months away so even players in form now can get into a rut later on) & versus Aus. Right now, I am more interested in the new players being tried out till the WI series, the strategies & tactics of the team, who makes it to the Asia Cup squad, … 

15 hours ago, zen said:

Planning has many facets including giving upcoming talented players opportunities, ensuring players are rotated so they remain fresh, and so on. 

No one can control form of individual players. Some players can be past their best or no longer suitable to a changing & demanding format, etc. 

As for Rohit-Kohli, all BCCI can do is give them opportunities to be mentally fresh and gain some form by playing in upcoming series, which are plenty before the World Cup (My opinion is that India should move beyond Rohit-Kohli beginning with T20s but that is a different matter). 

India fans can be desperate and emotional but ppl who run have be practical and to look at the upcoming series, rotate players if they need a break, and plan to play them in appropriate series. A quality player can gain form in any format as form is transferable. 

I would only be worried if key players are not performing (esp. under pressure) in Asia Cup (IPL is also a high pressure marquee tournament but WC is still 4 months away so even players in form now can get into a rut later on) & versus Aus. Right now, I am more interested in the new players being tried out till the WI series, the strategies & tactics of the team, who makes it to the Asia Cup squad, … 

So, to summarize, you AGREE with Ganguly that the World Cup is far away and that we shouldn't worry about Kohli-Rohit's form???

Just now, Texan said:

So, to summarize, you AGREE with Ganguly that the World Cup is far away and that we shouldn't worry about Kohli-Rohit's form???

a) I agree with Ganguly that world cup is far away to worry about form atm 

b) I don't think Rohit-Kohli should be in T20 team (irrespective of form)

On 5/17/2022 at 8:47 AM, zen said:

The more appropriate question to ask Ganguly is “what is the selectors’ plan if Rohit-Kohli continue to struggle?” 

Answer from Gangu: they will continue to play nonetheless until they retire at the age of 40 because I, Gangu, are worried about their legions of toxic and psychotic fans. And also because they continue to generate lots of revenue from said fans who buy any merchandise or product involving Ro-Ko

On 5/17/2022 at 4:38 AM, Texan said:

Relax, it just means he is not worried about their form for now. If they are in miserable batting form just ahead of the world cup, they can still be axed.

Rohit has a recent slump..  Still he is playing better than Kolli...  Kolli fans are making it like he is struggling only this IPl..  But the fact is it has been 3 years now.  How much longer Indian team can tolerate this?  If he fails in Edgbaston test..  He should be kicked out in every format. 

6 hours ago, nevada said:

Relax, it just means he is not worried about their form for now. If they are in miserable batting form just ahead of the world cup, they can still be axed.

Kohli has been in miserable form for two and a half years across all formats. He has not been axed from any format and still gets top grade BCCI contract.