Rajat Patidar v Sarfaraz Khan

14 hours ago, Vijy said:

patidar should be in the team, sarfaraz should not (he's not test level on current evidence). would rather have seen a stop-gap spin expert like mayank or karun nair instead.

They both can be in the team as both are very different types of batsman and bats at different position.

Patidar can bat at no 3 and Sarfaraz can bat at no 5.

They both can be huge upgrade over Gill and Iyer on current form.They are both coming from good outing for A team against England Lions.

38 minutes ago, tweaker said:

They both can be in the team as both are very different types of batsman and bats at different position.

Patidar can bat at no 3 and Sarfaraz can bat at no 5.

They both can be huge upgrade over Gill and Iyer on current form.They are both coming from good outing for A team against England Lions.

no doubt they are an upgrade over gill and iyer, but that's not saying much

On spinning Pitches Sarfaraz can be consistent 40 averaging player. 

Patidar is mercurial...  Exciting but we don't know on which side of the bed he wakes up. 

He can Bazball English attack to oblivion with his thrilling strokeplay almost like Viru but let's see which version turns up. 

Still a massive upgrade over Sasta Model Gill...  Who is as soft as Fatman's belly

In Indian cricket, anybody sitting outside is automatically an ATG unfairly denied his chance. We have seen that with many players, most recently with Prasidh Krishna who before his debut series, everybody thought was some Curtly Ambrose clone who would have won us 2021-22 RSA tour and WTC final. Then posters here were convinced that had Gill not been given out in WTC F 2nd innings he would have chased that 400+ target. Kuldeep was hailed as Shane Warne and then we saw how he flopped in the WC. Or Iyer the so called modern day Sehwag vs spin:phehe:

I too back many of these players sitting outside but let us not put them on a pedestal now only to pull them down when they don't do well. Extreme views (unless done for fun, trolling, baiting:winky:) won't help, let us keep expectations moderate. 

Edited by Gollum
22 minutes ago, Gollum said:

In Indian cricket, anybody sitting outside is automatically an ATG unfairly denied his chance. We have seen that with many players, most recently with Prasidh Krishna who before his debut series, everybody thought was some Curtly Ambrose clone who would have won us 2021-22 RSA tour and WTC final. Then posters here were convinced that had Gill not been given out in WTC F 2nd innings he would have chased that 400+ target. Kuldeep was hailed as Shane Warne and then we saw how he flopped in the WC. Or Iyer the so called modern day Sehwag vs spin:phehe:

I too back many of these players sitting outside but let us not put them on a pedestal now only to pull them down when they don't do well. Extreme views (unless done for fun, trolling, baiting:winky:) won't help, let us keep expectations moderate. 

This has come to to is, because Gill,Rahul and Iyer have not stepped up .We were saved by Pant,Jadeja Ashwin on many occasion.Once Pant got injured the problem with the batting got exposed.

Sarfaraz had a great Ranji season for the last 3 years and he should have made his debut last year.

The problem is this team management seems to entertain certain play are and are allergic to other.Rahul has been accommodated in the team at any cost,he has been made wicketkeeper Sacrificing Kishan.

Team management should not expect Patidar,Sarfaraz to score debut 100 and back them as they have backed Rahul,Gill,Iyer

29 minutes ago, Gollum said:

BazBall would prevail in most cases but India has a better shot at them with fresh legs. 

Indeed expectations should be moderate. 

But time has come to throw guys into deep end. 

Dravid's phattu policies have led to all this. 

Spin attack would be inexperienced so Ashwin has to take responsibility to pull his weight in first inns. 

53 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Dravid's phattu policies have led to all this. 

Well it's not like we were sh!tting youngsters with multiple debuts in crucial games/tournaments since 2007 were we? We've generally been ultra conservative since  at least 2011/12 as compared to previous decades. Part of that was of course protecting your IPL big brand value through mega stars, which meant that oldies would also get an unfairly long rope! The other one is that IPL is the biggest prize in Indian cricket, it's not the WC/WT20 & definitely not WTC - SRT's last WC was also the last time we collectively as a nation gave a * about any such major tournament. I've really not felt anything like that ever since, maybe that's just me :om:

Edited by R!TTER
3 hours ago, R!TTER said:

Well it's not like we were sh!tting youngsters with multiple debuts in crucial games/tournaments since 2007 were we? We've generally been ultra conservative since  at least 2011/12 as compared to previous decades. Part of that was of course protecting your IPL big brand value through mega stars, which meant that oldies would also get an unfairly long rope! The other one is that IPL is the biggest prize in Indian cricket, it's not the WC/WT20 & definitely not WTC - SRT's last WC was also the last time we collectively as a nation gave a * about any such major tournament. I've really not felt anything like that ever since, maybe that's just me :om:

The bold part is entirely accurate. 

2011 is the last World Cup that India had a consistent side and had planned for 4 years to get there after the shocker in 2007. 

Both Ganguly and Dravid were dropped in 2007 from ODIs and rarely played afterwards. 

Kohli debuted in 2008. 

There was a strong, experienced core by the time of 2011 World Cup 

World Cups are a 4 year planning process. 

Unfortunately, after that we have usually done it like a year before the actual event. 

Early 2022 , even Dhawan was still playing. 

And yes, it's all about IPL and brands now. 

These things are not going to change.  So expectations need to come down..

Someone like SKY had no business playing the World Cup. 

18 hours ago, Gollum said:

I am shocked. so you are telling me that: (a) kuldeep is not as good as warne? (b) hardik is not as good as kallis? (c) sai sudharsan is not as good as lara? I refuse to accept these heresies. everyone here knows that the ind trio I mentioned are better than their gora counterparts referenced above.

people need to accept india's greatness. paras mhambrey the player had McG's control, ambrose's bounce, Wasim-Waqar's reverse swing, and steyn's swing at pace. it's just that he was unfairly denied a chance. likewise, people who have seen rathod bat knew that he could have been better than steven smith, SRT, arguably bradman too, if he was given a chance.

https://zeenews.india.com/cricket/india-vs-england-2nd-test-playing-11-why-sarfaraz-khan-must-play-in-visakhapatnam-in-place-of-shubman-gill-rohit-sharma-shreyas-iyer-rahul-dravid-rajat-patidar-2715924.html

Sarfaraz has piled up huge scores in the past thre Ranji seasons. But what makes him special is his courage as a batter. He is not afraid to take risks and attacks the opponents when unexpected. 

If Sarfaraz is picked to replace KL Rahul, he must also be played in the 2nd Test. There is no use of wasting such a talent on the bench when the regulars have consistently failed in the middle.

Shubman Gill and Shreyas Iyer deserve to be dropped and the time has come to be brave and give wings to the new players like Rajat Patidar and Sarfaraz Khan. England have debut to Hartley on a tough way tour like India. Rehan Ahmed, with just one Test experience, was thrown in as well. These guys delivered the goods because there was faith in their abilities. India must stop fearing the outcome and back the potential in Safaraz and Rajat. 

Shubman has underperformed throughout 2023. In 11 innings played since June 2023, Shubman has scored just 173 runs at an average of 17.30 with the highest score of 36. Shreyas Iyer has not played any good knock since the one against Bangladesh in 2022. His last few scores read as: 4, 12,0, 26, 31, 6, 0, 4 not out, 35, 13. 

Dravid and Rohit need to realise that playing Iyer and Gill, at the moment, is playing with fire. You cannot win matches with two batters who are consistently underperforming. Stars are born on big stages. It is about time Sarfaraz and Rajat get the taste of Test cricket. Let's try them.

9 hours ago, Vijy said:

I am shocked. so you are telling me that: (a) kuldeep is not as good as warne? (b) hardik is not as good as kallis? (c) sai sudharsan is not as good as lara? I refuse to accept these heresies. everyone here knows that the ind trio I mentioned are better than their gora counterparts referenced above.

people need to accept india's greatness. paras mhambrey the player had McG's control, ambrose's bounce, Wasim-Waqar's reverse swing, and steyn's swing at pace. it's just that he was unfairly denied a chance. likewise, people who have seen rathod bat knew that he could have been better than steven smith, SRT, arguably bradman too, if he was given a chance.

Very correct about Mhambrey! He had a whippy action and was the right handed version of Akram. It's a shame he was not persisted with, he would have broken quite a few records for sure. 

1 hour ago, nevada said:

Very correct about Mhambrey! He had a whippy action and was the right handed version of Akram. It's a shame he was not persisted with, he would have broken quite a few records for sure. 

yes, exactly, he was the greatest pacer of the 90s, but was unfairly discarded.

There is lots of buzz about who among Patidar and Sarfaraz should make debut in the 2nd test.

Many are of the view that both should make debut.

Many ex cricketers are also commenting about the same .So its great that there is such a buzz about this young batsman 

1 hour ago, tweaker said:

There is lots of buzz about who among Patidar and Sarfaraz should make debut in the 2nd test.

Many ex cricketers are also commenting about the same .So its great that there is such a buzz about this young batsman 

There is a habit of trolling newcomers from ex cricketers to posters here saying look you were hyping abc and itching to replace those proven big names of Indian test cricket,they are no good, no one can replace them

Let's play them to eternity

5 hours ago, tweaker said:

I have a feeling dravidiot will find a way to play neither

6 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I have a feeling dravidiot will find a way to play neither

I was about to post this.

Just look how stupid Pant made the TM look when they didnt play in Adelaide last time.

This f**king stupid retarded TM cannot pick a side to win games, invariably India's luck in winning games has been more of a result of Jaddu, Pant, Axar or Ashwin providing a knock to save the batsmen embarrassment.

Gill's poke and prod in the 2nd Innings alone, deserves to be dropped for that effort.

5 hours ago, tweaker said:

I would be a lot more forgiving and excited if we debuted two new players and also bought in Kuldeep into the side.