Pandya vs England-Australia-Pakistan

And let's not go overboard with the praises. I love mentally strong players like pandya. He is a fighter. He is a God talent. He is crucial for us. We need to win a icc tournament at the end of the day. All these bilaterals don't mean squat. Anda. You hear? Anda. 

Test victories in sena? Yea that is as good as winning a WC if we win in say australia and England. 

10 hours ago, Jay said:

And let's not go overboard with the praises. I love mentally strong players like pandya. He is a fighter. He is a God talent. He is crucial for us. We need to win a icc tournament at the end of the day. All these bilaterals don't mean squat. Anda. You hear? Anda. 

Test victories in sena? Yea that is as good as winning a WC if we win in say australia and England. 

he has already won us a test in england 

Lets use common sense here and not look for test match performances. He needs to continue in LOIs & even continuing such rich form will be a big task. I for one am happy with just T20 consistency which we struggle with, ODIs are an additional bonus. 

On 7/18/2022 at 4:59 AM, coffee_rules said:

Ok fans, let’s call him Kapil Dev . 

In LOIs, Kapil went 6-7 years without hitting a 50 … If Kapil played now and performed like what he did esp. in the 88-94 period, he would be blasted. 

PS Kapil’s last ODI 50 was in early ‘88 v WI in Ind iirc 

Edited by zen
2 hours ago, zen said:

In LOIs, Kapil went 6-7 years without hitting a 50 … If Kapil played now and performed like what he did esp. in the 88-94 period, he would be blasted. 

PS Kapil’s last ODI 50 was in early ‘88 v WI in Ind iirc 

played too long in both ODIs and test. should have retired 2-3 years before the actual retirement date

8 minutes ago, Vijy said:

played too long in both ODIs and test. should have retired 2-3 years before the actual retirement date

May have been forced into retirement as he would have liked to play in the '96 WC at home. I recall hearing "Kapil hai hai" chants during a game in India. Crowds did the "Shatri hai hai" but for Kapil, it was probably for the first time. Kapil immediately retired once he heard those chants. 

1 hour ago, zen said:

May have been forced into retirement as he would have liked to play in the '96 WC at home. I recall hearing "Kapil hai hai" chants during a game in India. Crowds did the "Shatri hai hai" but for Kapil, it was probably for the first time. Kapil immediately retired once he heard those chants. 

oof... '96 would have been terrible. I am glad he left. best time to sign off for him in ODIs IMO was after '87 WC, also a home one.

Just now, Vijy said:

oof... '96 would have been terrible. I am glad he left. best time to sign off for him in ODIs IMO was after '87 WC, also a home one.

Imagine Kapil bowling to Jayasuriya, who could have turned him into a spinner like Prabhakar :fear1: 

Yeah, Kapil "effective" ODI career is short -> 1982-1987

Just now, zen said:

Imagine Kapil bowling to Jayasuriya, who could have turned him into a spinner like Prabhakar :fear1: 

Yeah, Kapil "effective" ODI career is short -> 1982-1987

it was a great peak, although it didn't last long. IIRC, he was striking the ball at 100+ SR if one considers his peak. kind of crazy in that era. bowling was also pretty solid

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

it was a great peak, although it didn't last long. IIRC, he was striking the ball at 100+ SR if one considers his peak. kind of crazy in that era. bowling was also pretty solid

Yeah, good peak and it covers the 1983 WC & 1985 world series. 

But many folks forget about his 1978-1981 and 1988-1994 period. And write as if Kapil Dev played at his peak throughout his career while trying to rundown those in the early stage for their careers. 

Many will also assume a Yuvi batting at #4 to be as good as a Yuvi batting at #6, just because #4-7 is widely known as the middle order :lol: 

Just now, zen said:

Yeah, good peak and it covers the 1983 WC & 1985 world series. 

But many folks forget about his 1978-1981 and 1988-1994 period. And write as if Kapil Dev played at his peak throughout his career while trying to rundown those in the early stage for their careers. 

Many will also assume a Yuvi batting at #4 to be as good as a Yuvi batting at #6, just because #4-7 is widely known as the middle order :lol: 

as a fast-medium bowling AR with virtually zero support (barring Chetan Sharma for a few years and the super-trundler Karsan), I would have expected Kapil's peak to be quite short, which proved to be the case in both formats.

even Imran has three phases in tests - for a short period, he was not good with bat or ball; then for a long phase, he was outstanding with the ball; last, for a reasonably long phase, he became a batting AR.

4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

as a fast-medium bowling AR with virtually zero support (barring Chetan Sharma for a few years and the super-trundler Karsan), I would have expected Kapil's peak to be quite short, which proved to be the case in both formats.

even Imran has three phases in tests - for a short period, he was not good with bat or ball; then for a long phase, he was outstanding with the ball; last, for a reasonably long phase, he became a batting AR.

Kapil's downfall was quite bad (apart from the series in Aus in 1992). He is said (rumors) to have blocked exciting fast bowling prospects ... Guys like Srinath hardly every mention him  

Just now, zen said:

Kapil's downfall was quite bad (apart from the series in Aus in 1992). He is said (rumors) to have blocked exciting fast bowling prospects ... Guys like Srinath hardly every mention him  

yep, there are several such rumours. at the least, he certainly blocked them inadvertently by occupying one of the spots.